2008 French Formula 1 Grand Prix

Good race, terrible luck for Kimi though. Has an exhaust ever been broken before? :hmm: I claim sabotage! :p

Massa's leading the championship! After all that stick at the start of this year, Massa's really stepping up to the plate and silencing the critics. Good on him!

Great race by Trulli. Excellent drive and that blocking of Kovalainen at the end was superb. BMW were nowhere, but Kubica drove well to bring home 5th. And Piquet Jnr. bringing the car home in front of nancy-boy Alonso just made my day.

Quick question: in the season rankings, what determines who sits higher when 2 drivers are on the same points? I noticed when Heiki and Mark were tied for points that Heiki was placed above him, and now that Mark is tied with Trulli, Trulli sits above him. Is there any formula to this (based on most recent race's place?) or is it some sort of anti-Australian conspiracy?

It would be based on a count-back - the driver with the higher number of higher-placed finishes will be ranked above the other.

Has an exhaust ever been broken before? :hmm: I claim sabotage! :p

I claim Italian build-quality! :p

Did Kubica drive yesterday? You could honestly not have known if you weren't looking out for his name on the rankings with that coverage. It'd be nice if they'd give at least the smallest amount of airtime to the rest of the field other than Kimi/Lewis/Felipe.

Ok bitching over. Good race, although rather uneventful. I think Lewis was a little hard done by with both the 10 place penalty (I think he deserved that one) and then the drive through (undeserved). Kimi drove well and was remarkably lucky to stick it out in 2nd for another 20 laps after his exhaust fell apart. Another solid drive from Mark Webber makes me happy.

Quick question: in the season rankings, what determines who sits higher when 2 drivers are on the same points? I noticed when Heiki and Mark were tied for points that Heiki was placed above him, and now that Mark is tied with Trulli, Trulli sits above him. Is there any formula to this (based on most recent race's place?) or is it some sort of anti-Australian conspiracy?

at the very least Mark already lost out on the alphabetical battle~:mrgreen:

Good race, terrible luck for Kimi though. Has an exhaust ever been broken before? :hmm: I claim sabotage! :p
It has happened at least once before. Nigel Mansel had to retire from the 1987 Monaco GP because of a cracked exhaust pipe in his Honda turbo engine. It must have been one of the header pipes that broke, leaking exhaust pressure, so that the engine subsequently lost turbo boost on one side...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3NH98Y-Ro0[/YOUTUBE]

good vid marcos.... that crash at the start on the hill at monaco was well mad, never seen that before1

edit:

wow so they had active suspension back then, and it seems, two categories.... turbo and non-turbo, correct?

wow so they had active suspension back then, and it seems, two categories.... turbo and non-turbo, correct?
Yes Lotus were the first to use active suspension, more about that here...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTURKAhFBJA[/YOUTUBE]

And yes for the 1987 and 1988 seasons there were two categories, the reason for that was the banning of turbocharging for the 1989 season. The N/A category was referred to as the Jim Clark Cup.

I believe they go on the race results, so the driver with the most 1st places will be on top. If neither have first places, or they have the same number of 1st places, they're arranged according to the number of 2nd places, and so on. So a driver with 10 points from 1 win will place above a driver with 10 points from 10 8th place finishes.

I'm really just remembering hearing that somewhere, I can't even guarantee it was about F1, so someone correct me if you know better.

I don't mean what the cameras were on, i know that's a local director. I mean that all they talked about what Lewis' chances and what he could do from where he was. Then sometime after his first pit-stop after his drive-through they must have realized he had no chance of doing anything, so they started talking about everyone else. I'm no Hamilton hater. But i don't watch the F1 for him, i watch it for all of them, something ITV sometimes forgets about its viewership.

I agree, there was quite a lot going on other than Lewis they could have told us about, even when Lewis wasn't on screen...they were talking about Lewis!

I truely believe that Kimi should have been black flagged, parts were falling from his car all over the track. If it had been a McLaren the black flags would have been out within seconds.

F1 admin being bias to Ferrari? there's a first.

^ no way, if it was like that,, then after every little crash where there was damage but cars would still able to go to the pits, they would have to be blacked flagged.

Gman333-X-ferrari said:
Has an exhaust ever been broken before? I claim sabotage!

Yeah, Schumacher broke his in Spain 2004 but he soldiered on and still won the race (I think he won, don't remember). Not sure if Monaco 2000 counts where he broke his suspension, which I think was partly (or entirely) caused by the exhaust gases being released straight onto the unprotected suspension arm.

fbc said:
I claim Italian build-quality!

The commentators were quick to commend Ferrari on building a rock solid car, but if that were the case, it wouldn't have fallen apart in the first place!

You know what the amazing thing really is though?

They showed a close-up of the damage at the end of the race and the heat from the exhaust had melted through part of the airbox. This means the engine was partly breathing in hot exhaust gasses. The fact that it kept running and making enough power to take a podium finish is quite incredible.

Now somebody needs to dig up that hand drawn picture some idiot did with the exhaust feeding back into the intake and photoshop ferrari on it, with hilarious results.

Last edited:
Excellent race IMO. Good to see Hamilton get 10th.

Kubica on Polish Tv mentioned that during the first stint he had a puncture so that could have compromised the race..

I truely believe that Kimi should have been black flagged, parts were falling from his car all over the track. If it had been a McLaren the black flags would have been out within seconds.

F1 admin being bias to Ferrari? there's a first.

He shouldn't have been black flagged but there is another flag (black and orange) which means the driver must go into the pits and have the dangerous things removed from the car. I think they should have show him that flag.

(And I hate when people keep saying "If it had been a McLaren...". I'm sure that none of the cars would have been black flagged. Remember 2005 N?rburgring for example? The state of Kimi's tyre and suspension was clearly really dangerous and they did nothing about it.)

:lol:

I just saw the race after missing it on Sunday and only recently being able to find the Fox rip so I didn't have to listen to "Lewis this" and "Hamilton that" for two hours. It's like the ITV guys don't realize there are 19 other drivers in the race as well. Anyways, quite a good race I think. Only one retirement was quite surprising, especially with all the problems the 'cheap seats' teams were having with reliability early on this season. It's very nice to see cars on the podium that aren't Ferraris or McLarens. Toyota is coming on strong as is Renault. Hopefully they can keep up the good work and give us some real close races later in the season. I'm also hoping BMW can get back on form for the British grand prix.

It's also very good to see Massa stepping up to the criticism against him and addressing it the right way: with wins on the track.