Should I get an iphone now or wait for the new one?

Telstra has the moto hiptop that has unlimited data for $30 a month, which is a tempting offer if the moto hiptop wasn't a hunk of shit (I don't know if you can get that plan on anything else)

But since the iPhone is a bit more than what the hiptop is, Telstra would probably turn around and charge some massive premium for it and then treat you like any other Telstra/Bigpond customer, that being, worthless shit.

3 have the X-Series thing, I'm not aware of the full details but I believe it's $30/month for unlimited (or at least a good GB amount) data... Ah well, we wait with baited breath to see by how much we really will be bent over and given one.

So, hang on, what was this about US$199 for the 8GB?? Was that outright or extra when you get it at AT&T??

That $770 for Italy just laughs in Steve Job's face and his affordability comments.

So, hang on, what was this about US$199 for the 8GB?? Was that outright or extra when you get it at AT&T??

That $770 for Italy just laughs in Steve Job's face and his affordability comments.

770$ in Italy is for a pay as you go type of plan or maybe a unlocked phone. But pay as you go and a unlocked phone are practically the same anyway.

I would think that with a contract with TIM or any other Italian operator that is going to sell the iphone, it would be much much cheaper and close to Jobs 199$ price mark. But then, you will be locked into a contract :(

770$ is a ridiculous price for a iphone and that is only for the 8GB!

I could get a HTC TYTN 2 for about 150$ less!

http://www.expansys-usa.com/p.aspx?i=155806

It seems I can check Italy off the list for a possible place to get the iphone.

No I'll wait to see the O2 UK pricing and as said in this thread, Belgium may be an option.

Time will tell.

I have a tough decision to make.

Do I go with AT&T and get an iPhone with an unlimited calling plan, $99 + $30 data + $20 unlimited texting.

or

Get a blackberry curve or Samsung instinct with an unlimited calling/texting/data plan for just $99

What really is the difference between a smartphone (like the blackberry) and, say, the instinct or iphone?

My primary needs (besides talking/texting) are e-mail, then web browsing. I don't really care about music/videos/games.

If you're interested in Sprint, and don't already have an account with them, send me a PM Firecat.

Proving once again why telcos lead the universe in lack of customer satisfaction, within the span of a single day the UK?s exclusive iPhone 3G carrier, O2, announced and then un-announced Pay-As-You-Go plans!

The original info revealed that you could get an iPhone 3G 8GB for ?300 and 16GB for ?360 on the PayG plans, with browsing (data?) and WiFi tossed in free for the first 6 months, and ?10 a month thereafter. Offer valid to new and upgrade-worthy customers until the end of the year.

Now, however, the page is gone, the server is bereft, and only a very Apple-esque talk-to-you-later notice remains.

Source: http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/06/27/iphone-3g-in-the-uk-o2-un-re-non-announces/

Telstra is reeming people as much as expected and almost appear resonable

http://www.news.com.au/technology/story/0,25642,23945988-5016091,00.html

The carrier revealed the first official Australian prices for the iPhone, with total minimum prices for the phone and contract ranging from $999 to $2400.

The new 8GB iPhone will be available with Telstra for $279 upfront on a two-year contract at $30 per month, or for free on the carrier's $80 per month plan.

The 16GB model will be available for $399 on a $30 per month contract or included for free with a $100 per month contract.

Not sure what happened to the whole $200 thing but oh well, they're going to sell a dump truck load at that price

Big update:

A guided tour is up on the apple website

http://www.apple.com/iphone/guidedtour/

Also, we will be able to get it contract free in the USA for 599$ for the 8GB and 699$ for the 16GB. These whopping prices make O2 in the UK prices seems like a bloody steal.

Anyway, most of the info is summed up here:

Price for those ineligible to upgrade: $399 for the 8GB and $499 for the 16GB ? these still require a 2 year agreement
no-contract iPhone 3Gs will eventually be available at $599 and $699
Text options on top of your $30 data plan: $20 for unlimited, $15 for 1500, $5 for 200
iPhone 2.0 software will be pre-loaded on iPhone 3G

At $700 there are a lot of much, much... Much better phones available, i have a really hard time justifying the price, it can't be the hardware.

I am pondering getting one on launch day.

Optus plans!!

Optus plans!!

Optus (Australian) have announced their pricing for the iPhone.

You can get it on a standard plan, a cap plan, or pre-paid. Be warned, if you go for Pre-paid, you'll be $729 (8GB) or $849 (16GB) poorer by the time you leave the Optus shop...

I don't know, I reckon telstra is going to better *shudder* plus optus's 3g coverage is fairly crap if you venture a bit out of the cities and i'm not sure that the new coverage they're rolling out is a frequency the iPhone supports 3g on.

I think 02 in the UK is the cheapest place to get a non contract iphone 3G. Am I right? It's 300 quid for the 8 GB and 360 quid for the 16 GB.

I don't know, I reckon telstra is going to better *shudder* plus optus's 3g coverage is fairly crap if you venture a bit out of the cities and i'm not sure that the new coverage they're rolling out is a frequency the iPhone supports 3g on.

Correct! Optus is rolling out a bigger/better(?) 3G network but the frequency their doing it on isn't actually supported by the iPhone.

If you want an iPhone that works Australia wide, you're going to have to go with Telstra's NextG*cringe*

Correct! Optus is rolling out a bigger/better(?) 3G network but the frequency their doing it on isn't actually supported by the iPhone.

If you want an iPhone that works Australia wide, you're going to have to go with Telstra's NextG*cringe*

Telstra actually appears cheaper on the face of things though watto :O