[11x02] June 29th, 2008

[11x02] June 29th, 2008

• Total voters
Good episode tonight - better than last week's. I liked Jeremy's take on rally fans - no concept of girls :D As usual, it was beautifully shot; the scenery and the cars.

I must admit, I've never really seen what so many others see in the Cool Wall, but this week was quite ridiculous (see my first post) and Audis, uncool? No, just no.

Richard needs to have a serious think about his attitude towards Astons; not even pikey footballers can ruin the beauty and desirability of an Aston Martin.

I agree with richard. Too many people who watch top gear are buying the aston thinking that they will be cool by buying it, not realising that it's a cool car.

However, I died a little inside when audi's were mentioned as uncool, on the other hand, i put this forward:

Doesn't jeremy fucking clarkson own an audi???

that is all. I added the fucking cos I am deeply hurt.

Oh in reference to my signature if anyone's waiting for an update - I folded, bought vista a year ago, and erm... I'm buying a mac soon.

Hammond is right about the Astons. Every bugger round here has one, and if Fat Frank and Wayne Rooney have one, then it is definitely verging on the uncool. Ditto on the RS4.

Enjoyed the stunt - pretty spectacular stuff although I'd loved to see him make it, especially in a Maestro!

The "Evo runs rings around the Impreza... literally!" had me laughing a fair bit as well. The Scooby is ugly but that Evo is gorgeous. Wouldn't buy one, mind.

Had to laugh during the (otherwise dull) Stars segment- there was a cracking girl behind Jezza, and an absolute munter- who was even yawning- behind the 'stars'!

He had (I believe he sold it) a Lambo, which is an Audi with some passion

I'm sure Clarkson doesn't like the R8 very much as a supercar, maybe I'm wrong, I think it's gorgeous.

Loved the stunt too, but why all the shit cars? :lol:

I think I voted last weeks episode 9 but in hindsight (and having watched it again) I would knock it down to an 8 and give tonights episode a solid 9.

It was great to have more of a focus on the cars instead of mucking about and it didn't make the show any less entertaining. The Impreza and Evo showdown was good, I particularly liked the rally spectator bit and as I used to work at a Subaru garage I laughed at the thought of all my old work mates being annoyed with Top Gear tomorrow morning, but it was faster on the track and much cheaper so it's not all bad for Subaru.

The part with the skiers was good but I thought it would be a bit better. The cinematography was incredible as always but I don't think it was as exciting as some of the previous races. I saw the bobsleigh one a few days ago and I think that was much better.

I was already sold on the Top Gear Stunt Man right from the start and this week it was even better. I love stunts in films and I'm more than happy for Top Gear to have a 5 minute segment every week where they do a different stunt.

The SIARPC was good but that's probably because Spooks is my favourite TV show (even ahead of Top Gear). It was still quite long though so I can see the Americans getting annoyed by it again. The final review was also very well shot especially the night segment. They briefly mentioned motorbikes and I do wish Top Gear would actually feature motorbikes occasionally and I know Hammond is a keen biker.

Great episode.

Last edited:
sure he said he was selling the gallardo for an R8

i wouldnt be suprised if he had an order in for one of those blacks to be honest.

The CLK Black film has to be one of the finest TG has ever made, sent shivers down my back. Already been on itunes to download the track they used at the end of it!

The rest of the episode was ok but i do tend to prefer the big films with the 3 of them together. Good to see the cool wall back although can't say i agree with the Astons and Audis being moved down! News section felt a bit weird with them recycling the sections they cut from last week, but i guess it's my fault for watching the news uncut! I gave it 7/10

The Impreza and Evo. I've always been a huge Subaru fan, but to be honest, these latest ones are really changing me towards the Mitsubishi. And this ep simply pushes me further over the line. But still a good review I think, maybe a little one sided, but that's TG for you.

Now we really have to do something about the news. They can't just keep showing pictures like that without showing us (not that I necessarily want to see them)... Anyone go to the filming?

SIARPC, well I like the people, but I felt that the interview was a little short, and a bit vague. And good to hear that Spooks is back soon! :lol:

The stunt jump was much better than last week's, and was much less random. Shame they didn't make it, but it would be impossible for TG to do. You know, ambitious but rubbish. I think the ramps needed to be slightly further apart, and maybe the angle of elevation different, but they did well.

RS6. Epically immense car. That is all I have to say.

The cool wall is back which is great. And I agree on the RS4/M3, times have changed. However, the Astons. No, no, no, no. Sure they are a little less exclusive than they used to be, but they still aren't Porsches yet. Seriously cool cars still.

The CLK Black, so its a little late this review, but still was a good one anyway. And a great car too. And I also loved the song at the end of the review. What was it? I think it sounded like Ludovico Einaudi...

Overall I really liked the style of 'no cocking about', it made a difference to the usual (not that there is anything wrong with the usual) but TG is not complete without the cocking about. 9/10.

Shitty link removed.

Really good to have Top Gear back. The Black segment was epic, and the evo-sti comparison pertfect match between fun and business. Truly great, 9/10.

I think it was very smart of them to air this episode now, because they probably reckoned that as the Euro finals were on, only the hardcore car lovers would watch Top Gear, so they should cut out all the comedy. Really smart thinking imo...

The CLK Black film has to be one of the finest TG has ever made, sent shivers down my back. Already been on itunes to download the track they used at the end of it!

Yeah, like Speedtouch I thought it sounded like Ludovico... but do you know what track? I don't think I have it... Found him thanks to the pilot of the last series from what I recall.... :)

Much better this week though I'm still unconvinced by the stunt man.
Loved the cinematography in the Alps and the CLK films.
And I think Richard may right about Astons...they are getting really common now. They are still beautiful cars but...hmm

If he does that will make it uncool - you know the rules. ;)

So the Sti was faster? By how much? They never really made it clear b/c Jeremy smudged it.

MUCh better. I think the back to basics approach made for a much better episode than last week. Interestingly noone (sofar) has complained about SIARPC, and I thought both of them acquitted themselves very well, although I heartily recommend watching that segment back again just to marvel at the complete munter* over Peter Firth's left shoulder who a) nearly made me lose my supper and b) kept yawning.

CLK Black review was classic Clarkson: beautifully shot and edited, with some real journalism in there and for the first time in ages I found it refreshing to watch him review a Benz and not feel afterwards that he could expect a thick wad of used notes in a brown envelope to land on his desk tomorrow morning courtesy of some suits in Stuttgart. RS6 race could have done with a bit more tension and Hammond's French was cringey 'though probably a set-up, but the Bourne music was a good choice. Even the TGSM piece felt better than last week's.

Downsides? Part of the news WAS a rehash of last week's news uncut, however the Dacia and the internet pictures that can't be shown look like they're going to be this season's recurring gag (the reaction of the pretty brunette behind JC when the pic came up was priceless), and as Wilman said in his latest blog the reptition of such gags a la Fast Show is what makes them work, and IMHO he is right and this is probably an admission of where the ideas like that come from, just as they did with Hammond's teeth for a while.

My biggest concern 'though is how little James seems to be involved so far this series. He barely featured in the Cheap Cop Car Challenge compared to the other two, and aside from the news and introducing TGSM has been vastly underused. I know Wilman (and also our Lord and Master Viper) have vehemently denied that he is leaving the show, but so far the signs seem to be that he is being faded out gently to prepare the audience for his imminent departure. I hope I'm wrong on this, but if I am why isn't there more of him? Might be worth a separate thread methinks.

*For the benefit of overseas members: Munter - UK slang for a really unattractive woman. Aka Gomper, Swamp Donkey, Moose.

Last edited:
Richard needs to have a serious think about his attitude towards Astons; not even pikey footballers can ruin the beauty and desirability of an Aston Martin.

In my (useless) opinion, they all look the same and are completely uninteresting compared to other cars in their class. To me, Aston was best in the late '90's when the old brutish Vantage and feminine DB7 were in production. In the early 2000's, the Vanquish came out and it looked like it contained the old Vantage-like muscle car appearance while looking modern and sleek. The DB7 was still in production until the DB9 came out.

I was a huge fan of Aston until the DB9; it wasn't nearly as muscular and chunky as the Vanquish nor was it as soft and curvy as the DB7. As it happened, the DB9 pretty much made the Vanquish obsolete, so the Vanquish was taken out of production after a relatively short run.
As for the new models, the new Vantage is just a DB9 that was left in the dryer too long and the DBS is a riced up DB9. The upcoming Rapide is a DB9 with another pair of doors.

Of course, you have to keep in mind that I have never driven any of the cars. :D