[11x02] June 29th, 2008

[11x02] June 29th, 2008

• Total voters
FANTASTIC EPISODE! 10/10 !!

This is the recipe. Keep the show about cars. Make most of the eps only about cars (11x02) and now and again a fun ep with cocking about.

That Merc is....Pure sex. And the engine in that RS6...Fuck paintings, I want that in my house.

Brilliant, 10/10. This is a Top Gear I'd show to introduce someone to the show.

Jeremy: "Jaguar found a pound..." :lol:

Richard: "Sport, Dynamic, or James May" :rofl:

Last edited:
Did Jeremy mumble that the Evo X did a 1:28.22? This is a travesty...that Impreza STI looks downright hideous as a hatch...I'd even be happy with the old STI with the weird grille, cuz it was still a four-door saloon/sedan. And, it's faster than the Evo X :( :shakefist:

Evo X FTW! And, I don't know what it is about that particular shade of blue that was on the car, but the next car I buy will be that shade of blue, and hopefully, it will be an Evo X :)

This episode was very good, back to the Top Gear I fell in love with.

Though I want to see James review some cars, not just do Top Gear Stuntman pieces, which I hate.

Amazing - Simply amazing. All segments were good - but the CLK Black review was just.. amazing. Good on ol' jezza for editing it for ages!

He managed to capture the car's love - he somehow did a two in one - for all people who love to drive - and the love of that Merc. He captures that car's personality perfectly.

Hope more episodes this season have just as good reviews..

Cheers!

I loved parts of this episode. Hammond's French was hilarious, and that film had beautiful pictures. The challenge itself was OK, much like their previous work. No problems there. The CLK review was fabulous, and it had the passion that has been lacking from Clarkson's recent reviews of him just yelling.

HOWEVER. I felt that the energy in the studio segments was lacking. The Cool Wall especially I thought didn't have any of the cheeky upbeat banter of previous seasons. They just seemed tired. Also, the Impreza vs. Evo review was pretty good, but he should have just talked a little more about why the Mitsubishi was better rather than just say it got closer to the mannequins. And I have to echo the worries about James' lack of involvement. His reviews are always the best--and the films of just him and Hammond are great. They have a great chemistry. But then again last season I thought he was getting annoyed with the whole thing, and last week he was much happier, so who knows.

Overall good episode.

I liked the Evo vs. STi review. I think I heard Jeremy mumble that the Evo was 1:28.22. If the STi is 1:28.2something, I wonder if the Evo is actually slower. Doesn't change how ugly the STi is though.

The news was good, except I liked the segment about good looking cars better in last week's news uncut. I was also annoyed by the image that we didn't get to see. That wasn't funny and was just aggravating.

The RS6 review was good, except it seemed too much like Jeremy's RS4 review. Both were Audis on curvy mountain roads versus athletic mountain roads with parachutes. And Richard getting lost? Who does he think he is, James May?

The SIARPC was fine. The two person format is growing on me.

The stuntman is also growing on me. But, it still seems like someone at the office said "Oh, we've got four minutes to fill, let's put a guy doing a stunt in."

The Merc review was good as well. I liked the cinematography and Jeremy's description of the purpose of Top Gear. Now if only I could figure out how a Reliant Robin space shuttle fits into that...

8/10

Back to basics is what they wanted and what we wanted and now we're all happy again.
The and Evo and Imprezza review was good. Just showed how flawed the computer stuff is. The Evo is deffinately the better car. The news wasn't quite as what I had in mind (ie some of the stuff that was cut out from last week and shown this week). The stunt was better than last week, but was a bit dissapointed that they didn't make it. So close but no cigar. The RS6 was good (haha there are rabbits in my trousers). The camera work was good, makes me wanna do that myself, but I don't wanna persue that. Although what I don't get is why it has to be a V10 Station Wagon (Estate)? Why does it have to be fast? unless Audi says "Why not?"

Anyway, the SIARPCs were good. They had a better knowledge of cars than the guys from last week. I don't know why they're putting two guests on from now on. Maybe they think it's better.
The cool wall was great, except i went into shock when Richard put Aston Martins in Uncool. I knew that the Audis would move down. M3 is starting to be cool again.

The Merc review-OMG the best camera stuff in the whole existence of Top Gear! It made me like i was in the action. Jeremy would be mad not buying one.

I gave it 8/10.

Cause it has 60 PS more than the scoobie. :p

Thats RIGHT!! And as shown, both cars, with equal power, and with a professional driver, the ugly duckling triumphs AGAIN! And with that my opinion is correct; the EVO X is praised by journalists because it is made for journalists, because journalist cannot drive. If they could, why would they be journalists? Without that anti-yaw malarkey, the EVO would be a...well, an STI!

So, the EVO is for the plug and play types. Makes anyone look like a hero.

With the STI, you have learn how to drive it. Feel it out. Take your time with it, not two hours on a test track.

Oh, the rest of the episode; 9/10. Very 2005.

Richard needs to have a serious think about his attitude towards Astons; not even pikey footballers can ruin the beauty and desirability of an Aston Martin.
None of that makes it cool.

Also, don't tell me you people are gonna get worked up over the 0.02 second difference between the Evo and the STi. I mean .02 could have been probably made up by putting less petrol in the tank, or cutting The Stig's eyelashes(provided he has any).

Thats RIGHT!! And as shown, both cars, with equal power, and with a professional driver, the ugly duckling triumphs AGAIN! And with that my opinion is correct; the EVO X is praised by journalists because it is made for journalists, because journalist cannot drive. If they could, why would they be journalists? Without that anti-yaw malarkey, the EVO would be a...well, an STI!

So, the EVO is for the plug and play types. Makes anyone look like a hero.

With the STI, you have learn how to drive it. Feel it out. Take your time with it, not two hours on a test track.

Funny, I actually agree with that :blink:. I personally haven't driven either car, but all the computer stuff in the X is designed to take driver skill out of the equation, IMO. But, it's still looks like one hell of a drive when you push it hard.

I still think, despite what Clarkson said, it's still a real toss-up between the Evo and STI. The STI's looks do knock it down a peg or two, but aside from that, either car is still a good choice.

Excellent show, almost like being in a time warp back in 2002 when the "new" style TopGear started, with mostly cars, great camera work and such a refreshing change from anything that had come before it.

That Mercedes review was sooo much better than a multi-million pound TV ad could ever be, a real piece of art!

8/10

I enjoyed it.

Camera work was spot on. Plus I think I am partial to anything with snow ever since the polar show. And that Dam was breathtaking.

News was ok, almost felt like the uncut version we got from last week though.

I think I will go watch it again before I go to bed.

The top gear stuntman was much better this week I thought. Its a little weird because they are doing some pretty serious stunts but devoting such little time to it. It looked to me like they could have landed too but were a bit more back heavy than anticipated.

I've always enjoyed going out for a drive just for the sake of driving and thought the black segment based around this idea was great. Seems they picked quite a good car for it too.

Everything else was good as well; I just don't have anything to add that hasn't been said.

God i hope they keep making the car reviews that good, please. I personally am a fan of the both the cars and the sillyness, but usually it seems the car reviews get very little attention from the editors and seem rushed togethor, maybe thats not the case, i really don't know. All i know for sure is that these car reviews were absolutely as good as they had ever been. Anybody who complains needs brain surgery via a 12 gauge.

BTW: How can you give this a 9/10? Just wondering.

Because 57% of us aren't sulking about Jeremy disliking the STI.

Last edited: