Do you like the SIARPC segments?

Do you like the SIARPC segments?

• Total voters

upyourego

Car(s)
Learning to drive
There seems to be a lot of hatred towards the Star in a Reasonably Priced Car segment but I personally really enjoy it.

It's a nice break and is always good to get a couple of different voices on the show. Plus it's great to see people I'm used to seeing in completely different environments - doing something outside of their normal comfort zone.

Having read through a number of threads with people saying things like "I have no idea who that guy is - scrap SIARPC" or "I hate the SIARPC segments" and such like - and noticing a number of those comments came from people outside of the UK - I thought it might be interesting to see how many people like it/hate it and where they are from.

So do you love/like/hate SIARPC and are you in the UK or out of the UK?

Personally, I like the SIARPC segments, and I think the show needs it.
I would bet some of the people that call for it to be removed would change their minds if that did actually happen.
I live in the US, but I'm Dutch.

If they could get International stars and not just people from BBCs payroll it would probably be interesting but as it is now, i skip it.

Lilleput - we see international stars on British TV all the time - on Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton etc - it's nice to have a show that does show British celebrities for a change to be honest and, not meaning to sound all insular but Top Gear IS primarily made for the British market - that's why they're commissioning new versions for the US and Australia (and I'm assuming if it works there many other places too).

Lilleput - we see international stars on British TV all the time - on Jonathan Ross, Graham Norton etc - it's nice to have a show that does show British celebrities for a change to be honest and, not meaning to sound all insular but Top Gear IS primarily made for the British market - that's why they're commissioning new versions for the US and Australia (and I'm assuming if it works there many other places too).

Too many people from outside the U.K. seem to think Top Gear should cater for an international audience.

I have no objection to the SIARPC, I just think the guests in the first week of the new series were a bit dull and I had no idea who the two in episode two were.

I#d like to see Richard & Judy* take part, seeing as they are having two people on at once. :)

* Link for colonials and other non-English savages. ;)

Even on the rare occasion when I do know who the star is I find myself thinking "Well that was a waste of a few minutes" once the segment is over. And when you've had the same people on multiple times the game is over.

Personally I don't have a problem not knowing who the stars are (live in the US) through the interview you can make out who they are, and what show they are on but I don't think that really even matters, right now I am watching the Billie Piper one and I don't need to know about Dr Who to laugh when Clarkson said gingers smell different. If it really bothers you that much there is always wikipedia and you can find out more. It's a nice "break from the action" and makes the whole show flow better IMO, it keeps a nice structure.

I do agree with the post above, I wish they would do more people who aren't from the BBC. It would make the segment better, but that alone doesn't make me "hate" it. I am not saying they need to have Chuck Norris on, but there is a whole world outside of the shows the BBC wants to hype. They already have a Dr Who reference per show, IMO that's enough BBC advertising.

This new 2 people setup is making me hate it though, there is no chemistry with 3 people. I am going to start skipping it, after 2 failures I have givin up. That is until they go back to the proper format. I hate it because it doesn't flow at all, not because I don't like the segment.

On the 'people not in the employ of the BBC' - that would be the two guests in the first episode then - they have a show on Channel 4 not the BBC.

In fact in series 10 only three of the nine guests were on current BBC shows and so were currently being employed by the BBC - Jools Holland (Later...), Keith Allen (Robin Hood) and David Tennant (Doctor Who).

On the 'people not in the employ of the BBC' - that would be the two guests in the first episode then - they have a show on Channel 4 not the BBC.

In fact in series 10 only three of the nine guests were on current BBC shows and so were currently being employed by the BBC - Jools Holland (Later...), Keith Allen (Robin Hood) and David Tennant (Doctor Who).

That's not what we meant, the guests are mostly people on British television, regardless of channel, i know it's a British show but 90% of the audience are not from the UK so these people may as well be some audience member and that's why they're not interesting.

Yes true BUT as the show is funded exclusively by the Licence Fee that's paid by EVERY BRITISH HOUSEHOLD by law the Top Gear production team are obliged to create a show exclusively for the British market - they would be shot down by the BBC Trust if it was felt they were doing 'anything' to pander to an international audience in order to get more worldwide sales.

There's nothing that says they can't create extra bits of content for the international audience but that content would have to be paid for out of the BBC Worldwide budget and that money would (after paying the presenters and crew) go to the BBC generally and not BBC Top Gear - in fact I think there is a facilities department that would get the money and I'm not 100% sure that department is owned by the BBC anymore.

But that's off the point - the show has to be made for a British audience and like it or not British stars appeal more to a British audience - the celebrity would have to be HUGE to be justified over a well known local celeb.

Plus I'm much more interested in the guys off Spooks than some over hyped, over paid American movie star.

I agree, im not saying they should change it, that would be like demanding Top Gear US should review more European cars. I just explained why i don't watch it.

90% of the audience are not from the UK so these people may as well be some audience member and that's why they're not interesting.

They download it illegally and don't pay a licence fee - they don't count. Anyway, I'm out, I'm not getting involved in this argument as it really irritates me. It's always the same in this country: take more notice of the 'bloody foreigners' than we do of our own.

And with that, my working(!) day is done.

The only reason why I don't like it is because over the years the segment has gotten longer and longer, taking up time they could do better things with.

but its blasphemy to hate on Top Gear around here these days, and I don't want Viper to come in and drop my reputation another 230 points like he did earlier :(

I don't mind it if the guest is cool. I'm sort of in the middle with this question.

I mean there are those that want it scrapped and I agree with them but only when the guest is rubbish. Then there are those that argue that it cannot be scrapped and I agree with them also... if the guest isn't rubbish.

So it's just a matter of finding someone cool. Simon Cowell, Simon Pegg, Jimmy Carr, Ellen McArthur, Jennifer Saunders... they are all examples of cool guests.

The dipshits in the first episode of season 11 = example of bad guests.

So I think they really should scrap SIARPC in episodes where the guests have crap car histories and crap senses of humor and crappy ways of talking and laughing (like Geri Halliwell) and replace it with an extra stunt, a challenge thats just a little bit longer or something else very interesting to put in. Or if that's unfeasible, just find someone cool.

"How hard can it be?" :p

As I don't really give a rat's ass about what some random radio talkshow host thinks about cars (or their total ignorance about them) they should get rid of it.

And my opinion wouldn't change if they would invite horrible german B-Celebs, except maybe become even worse.

It's been going on for too long now in my opinion. Some have been great, others have been "meh".

I think it's time to increase the stakes and make a Star In A Reasonably Fast Car. Maybe an Elise? Or something like an Evo? :cool:

I dont know, but i think it might be time to either scrap it or change it into something more exciting, faster car or some sorts of stunt or challenge.

Btw, i like having stars on the show, just the same lap over and over isnt fun anymore.

^ Stars in fast cars isn't a bad idea. They need to replace the Chevy with a CHEVY... if you catch my drift.

Get a Z06 and see how fast they can drive it around the track... that would be nice.

Last edited:
first of all, we need a poll, so viper can we ?:D huh ? huh? can we?can we? pretty please
and second, i would like it if the guests we're more car orientated/funny but honestly, i think it takes to much time out of the program, but i know i know the masses need to be kept entertained, might aswell invite that guy with his Rover clocks back from the 2nd/3rd series (when the we're searching for a new presenter ) ... <_<

It depends who the guest is, I liked the guys of Spooks because I like Spooks and there both quite interesting guys. I get why people are thinking "Eh? Who are these people" but do remeber just because you watch it outside of the UK, doesn't mean its not a UK show, I'm sure there are people that are quite famous in your country that no one else would know who the fuck they are. I'm not sure if I like this two guests format, Jeremy would sometimes ask some good questions, he's not bad at doing interviews.

SIARPC is a good way of bringing people who maybe aren't to interested in cars watching Top Gear, despite the fact that we on this forum like watching cars sliding around and stuff like that, there are people who don't find that very interesting but might find the guest interesting. It just gives a little bit of something for everybody.