Are we being weaned off Captain Slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh why do people think like this? Of course, he's not gonna be shoved off the planet just because he's not on the camera for what he's worth. Maybe he wants to be reluctant. I don't know. All I know is, I like James on the show because it brings out the kookiness of the show.

James gives TG more balance with his sensible behaviour and witty (funny) comments. Therefore his departure would be harmful. Even he was leaving for whatever reasons, he should be replaced with a person, who owns somewhat similar personality than JM.

As some ppl before me have commented, there?s no proof that he is leaving the show. :)

Do we really need these conspiracy theories that seem based on nothing more than thoughts pulled out of thin air?

All the thoughts, worries, may or may not have any truth in it.
Remember on the very first appearance he was introduced as a "Blithering Idiot" by Jeremy Clarkson. His appearance is sort of same as it was in the very first (his) episode. Only difference is he use to read out inside deals from car industry but later on he was presented as a full on presenter like Hamster and Jezza..

I noticed the distinct lack of screen time for May this past episode and it made me sad. But maybe there's a real reason for it. Maybe his big segments haven't been shown yet so far this series? I sure hope that's the case. Out of all of them (and I know this would annoy him) he seems the most 'traditional British'.

Okay, I have seen 11x02 now, and this statement nails it on the spot:
I just watched 11x02 and I am tying to figure out why this thought even vaguely crossed your mind.

Where else would they have put him?
James May did exactly have the segments he would have in any other episode. I don't see the slightest whiff of him having less screen time than in older episodes. And it's exactly the same for 11x01.

@ Mineworksfine: as much as I treasure a person who clearly and considerably words his thoughts, I just don't see your point here. And it seems I'm not alone, which is why I think that you're overanalyzing the show to an extent that's no good for any of us. All you're going to archieve is making yourself think about things that actually are not even a subject at all. Sorry mate! :(

He did have the boring car for the police car challenge. You can't expect to get much air time for that, a slow lap with nothing crazy and a quick spray on the stig. Anymore slowly driving around the track would just get old. So I think it has more to do with May being a little too "may-ish" than the BBC cutting him on purpose.

Plus we have no idea of scheduling conflicts he's had, who knows he could have been busy at the opening of a car park to add a "rubbish this is a real Mercedes" to Clarkson's black review.

Plus last season (that had 4 more episodes) he only had what 3 reviews? The phantom, the alfa with the "swear box" and the new Jag. And actually through the first 5 he only had the 1 review. You have to also look at the cars that have been reviewed, can you see May in an evo or a sti? Or the "look at me" black?

IMO he's not being weened off, he's just (and always has been) the #3 presenter.

(and for the record I am not picking on him, he's actually my favorite but he is boring and boring =/= ratings)

James May is the best, i want more of him.

I love how people pass judgement and state something major is going to happen when we've only had 2 episodes out for this series and no-one on TG has explicitly mentioned anything about leaving the show or transforming into ducks.

You can look at someone and say "my god that person is ugly" but that doesn't make him/her a bad person now does it? First impressions aren't always what they seem, and I thought as a 38 year old man you would realize that... supposed to be experienced and wise and stuff. Sorry I didn't mean that in a bad way... not trying to flame you here or something, my brain gets the better of me.

I didn't notice anything lacking in either season 10 or in the current epis in season 11 in terms of May time. I feel they pick on James a little less now (dunno why), but I don't really care either. I'm just in it for the cars and the dicking about, period.

To end the "James May came short in the police car challenge" talk, I did what I do best: make a statistic. I measured the length of every single scene of the challenge, then looked who had a part in it and added up how much screen time any of the three guys had. Here are the results:

Clarkson: 1191 seconds
Hammond: 1032 seconds
May: 1184 seconds

I rest my case! :rolleyes:

To end the "James May came short in the police car challenge" talk, I did what I do best: make a statistic. I measured the length of every single scene of the challenge, then looked who had a part in it and added up how much screen time any of the three guys had. Here are the results:

Clarkson: 1191 seconds
Hammond: 1032 seconds
May: 1184 seconds

I rest my case! :rolleyes:

/thread.

I've already posted this message in the episode discussion (11x02) so i hope that admin will forgive me for posting it in the more appropriate place here, (since its more on the topic.)

I lately find James May's reviews the most sophisticated/witty/clever and of course funny with the unmistakable classic May's style.

Jezza of course is also pretty clever, after all he is Mr. Clarkson!!!

As for Hammond, i might agree with Simon Cowel, and for me he is there because he is "small, but cute" and i rarely remember what he said after the did a car review.

So my concern is why i still haven't seen a proper James May car review???

It's been Clarkson in the;

- Supercar Fuel Economy bit
- Jezza in Ferrari 430 bit
- Jezza in Evo vs Subaru bit
- Jezza in CLK bit

Hammond only did one Audi review.

James May have not done a single proper car review in two episodes (wouldn't be that big of a deal i guess if a series had 10 episodes, but we only got 4 more to go) *And please don't tell me that Stuntman bits with May featured in it, counts for something...

IMHO We get too much Clarkson, if it was up to me, (and of course it isn't)

- Ferrari bit could be done by Hammond
- CLK bit could be done by James May
- Fuel Economy Could also be done by a sensible May???
- News could be done in a way that all 3 presenters are engaged, Jeremy is doing 85% of the talking, and May is often told to shut his mouth....

Next week episode we'll yet again see Clarkson in that Bentley, and there is no man more perfect to do a Bentley review than James May!!! (After all his first ever review on Top Gear was of a Bentley that he owned, and he did a marvelous job with that Rolls Convertible last season)

I'm getting sick of seeing Jezza over and over, and would like to see more of James May, (& Hammond even!!!)
- just my few thoughts...

Well, seems like the webmaster of topgear.com wants to subtly rebut any rumors of May's impending disappearance:
https://pic.armedcats.net/l/la/labcoatguy/2008/06/30/01.jpg

More prominent position than Hammond, and no Clarkson in sight.

Jesus Christ will someone please confiscate my tin opener already! Yet another can of worms opened and all hell has broken loose.

I express a slight disappointment at the lack of real involvement Captain Slow has had so far this series (and TGSM doesn't do him justice in spite of the maths on the chalkboard) and all of a sudden I am being hung out to dry. I have a great deal of respect for all of the regulars who have responded to this post, and while not wishing to single Interceptor out as he (? I assume - God how I hate the anonymity of the internet sometimes) posts some great stuff, but as an example which is more Obsessive Compulsive: worrying that one's favourite TG presenter might be on his swan song, or counting his seconds of screen time?

I don't believe James is leaving, I don't want to believe James is leaving, and I would very much like to see more of him as I think to date this series he has been grossly underused. His review of the RR DHC is one of my all times faves, and a shining example of his capabilities. More of that please is all.

Now could everyone get off my back about it per-lease???? It ain't life and death for fuck's sake, it's just the internet.

Let me put it like this: if James May were to leave Top Gear for whatever reason, I don't think they'd slowly fade him out like that to soften the blow or something. I think there would be a big bang, and that's it. That knowledge would spread over the internet before his last episodes were to be aired anyway, so I guess we wouldn't be in for much of a shock.

The majority of female members can be recognized by the pink user name by the way. ;)

Jesus Christ will someone please confiscate my tin opener already! Yet another can of worms opened and all hell has broken loose.

I express a slight disappointment at the lack of real involvement Captain Slow has had so far this series (and TGSM doesn't do him justice in spite of the maths on the chalkboard) and all of a sudden I am being hung out to dry. I have a great deal of respect for all of the regulars who have responded to this post, and while not wishing to single Interceptor out as he (? I assume - God how I hate the anonymity of the internet sometimes) posts some great stuff, but as an example which is more Obsessive Compulsive: worrying that one's favourite TG presenter might be on his swan song, or counting his seconds of screen time?

I don't believe James is leaving, I don't want to believe James is leaving, and I would very much like to see more of him as I think to date this series he has been grossly underused. His review of the RR DHC is one of my all times faves, and a shining example of his capabilities. More of that please is all.

Now could everyone get off my back about it per-lease???? It ain't life and death for fuck's sake, it's just the internet.

As I explained in the +rep I gave you: It's the internet. You've got a variety of people on that love to voice their opinions (me included). You've just not got to take it to heart. I gave you +rep to negate anyone that gave you -rep (in case). Enjoy the new green bubble btw ;)

Reactions: MWF
I would definitely miss James if he was to leave. Wouldn't miss Hammond though.

:lol: I gave you a plus one for accepting defeat and being a good sport about it. Thats the Final Gear spirit. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.