As TG fans, are we expecting too much or too happy with less quality?

JohnnyRacer

As most of us, I have been watching Top Gear for about 3-4 years now. I have downloaded every season and have a 50+gig file dedicated to the show. I have bought books by all 3 of our favorite TV presenters and have even used Top Gear to cheer me up in rougher times of my life. My dedication to the show, like most of us, is unending.

But, are we expecting too much from our beloved Top Gear? With it's moments of greatness, pure comedy genius, and challenges that are insane, have we become spoiled when an episode is a bit plain?

On the other side of coin, are some of us too accepting of what some would consider dull? When a show only focuses on cars we may not like. When the challenge is somewhat boring. Even with those, some of us proclaim "It was a great show!" Ok, but how good was it really?

This is, of course, based on an individuals opinion. And opinions are never wrong or right. It is simply a thought. But when the thought is shared by a majority, it becomes fact.

So far, this season, in my OPINION, has been decent. While other seasons have been better, I can't say I havent enjoyed any of them. I think it has started a bit slow, but I'm optimistic. But, I also think I fall into the crowd where Jeremy could write instructions on how to put a coffee table together from IKEA and I would pay money for it. Only because it would start out like this.....

"What's wrong with you? Are you one of those idiots with spiked hair and and a stereo in your car worth more than the car itself? Place Leg A in hole A, you moron. You probably stole this table anyway."

I think both sides of this debate need to be carful. I think the ones who are unhappy, need to give it a bit of time. Not every episode can have caravans burning down. I think the ones who love it so far need to be a little more critical of what we get and not let TG go soft.

Just a thought. What are yours?

Last edited:
A little bit of both, but i'd say right now we have more jerkoffs who like expressing their (negative) opinions just because it either makes them fell empowered, and or their a bit depressed and are in need of venting.

I've listened and watched alot of music that ended up being my favorite, but first time through i hated it. Personally i still really didn't like the way the whole Supercar Holiday was cobbled togethor, and i hated the music, but alot of people seemed to like it probably because they didn't hate remixes of "in the air" tonight (and whatever that other shit song was) as much as i did.

Honestly, i think some of us expect too much from Top Gear due to what they have given us in previous seasons. Eg. Episode 1 of this season i thought was a decent episode yet many people on the forum thought the episode was poor.

I think that as long as they review cars, I'll enjoy the show. As one of Willman's blogs said, they'll run out of ridiculous challenges and the mainstream viewers will get tired of the show. Then they'll continue the car reviews that the original viewers have grown to like.
I, for instance, like just about every episode so far. But I also really like the old Top Gear, the first few "series" of the new format, and Fifth Gear as well. But many people find those to be incredibly boring. The problem is that many of the new viewers expect hilarity every minute of each episode. Top Gear tries to cater to them as well as keeping things as car-related as possible, but it can't last.

I like Top Gear. Simple as that.

I like some shows better than others but in the end I still like it. It is like a good friend. Some weeks you have more fun with them than others, but you still like them, and you miss them when you don't see them for a while. And I would never be critical of a friend because they may not be more and more fun every week.

I think the whole TG crew try to make an enjoyable show for us every time. Some of the shows miss the mark for me. But even those I usually find something I liked.

I have never thought I wasted my time watching a single episode and that sums it up for me.

It's the internet, so unfortunately you get pointy-elbows syndrome, where people feel the need to be negative about things and nitpick the finest details, as if they're capable of doing a better job.

If you read the criticism though - there seems to be an equal amount of love and hate for every episode going back about three years (since they really started making the show more about entertainment and having a laugh than just pure car based fun).

You have one half of the fan base that adore the car based fun, a few people that love both and a another half that want the entertainment and 'cocking about' - I fall in the latter category.

Top Gear means different things to different people and I think that is where most of the complaints seem to come from. It has both a hardcore car nut fanbase that want it to be like series 6 or 7 (or episode two of this series) and then you have the more mainstream entertainment fanbase who love the last few series (from 8 on wards).

Personally when I re-watch old episodes I rarely watch more than the news and cool wall from series 1-6 but will watch every bit of series 7+ - but again this is just personal opinion.

And don't forget, as with Doctor Who, we're just the really 'hardcore Top Gear' fans (on both sides of the divide) - there are MILLIONS more who just enjoy watching it every week regardless.

For example, if I were to make a comment about the cinematography during the Evo X vs. STi segment being crap (not saying it was, just using this as an example) you might blow it off as me just being an asshole with nothing better to do than trash Top Gear for a shortcoming that you consider meaningless. For me, though, the cinematography is a major reason why I watch Top Gear in the first place. A noticeable drop in quality there is a major cause for concern from me.

IMO people should watch Top gear for the things they do, not for what it looks like. It would be like playing a video game that has fantastic graphics but the gameplay is shit.

The cinematography is just one of the things I enjoy about Top Gear. If you've seen any of the other car shows we have to choose from in the US, you might understand what that's such a big deal to me. We get crap that looks like it could have been shot by a severely retarded chimp and his 1992 Sony HandyCam.

The car shows in Australia aren't great either, but it doesn't matter to me as long as people are able to follow what is happening.

I was listening to a lady who speaks to Jeremy Clarkson on the radio, she says how much she loves the show and watches the reruns all the time...and then the first thing she asks is why the three presenters like cars so much...and she doesnt get it at all.

I know there are a lot of show fans like this....but its like someone saying they love watching a cooking show but doesn't really enjoy food, or someone who avidly watches football....and has no idea how the game is played or what the point is.

and when TG has been retailored to appeal to fans like above...it loses a lot of its substance while trying to retain the charm.... kind of like the guy who is the life of the party, he talks and talks....but doesn't really say anything.

It's the internet, so unfortunately you get pointy-elbows syndrome, where people feel the need to be negative about things and nitpick the finest details, as if they're capable of doing a better job.

100% agree, although the media have made their fair share of criticisms and made up stories lately:mad:

Like Skylock, I like Top Gear, full stop. If I think that one show was not particularly exciting, I know that the next one will be twice as exciting, and it always is:)

But whatever happens, I still enjoy every episode of Top Gear.

Yes, I do reckon we have been throughly spoiled in the past therefore
Yes, I can see why some people have been a tad underwhelmed by Series 11 so far and
Yes, the naysayers will come out of the woodwork to share their negative opinions because
Yes, they do feel empowered by the internet and the fact that in some small way their tiny voices (mine included I hasten to add) are heard.
BUT We have to accept that TG has set the bar so high that even they are going to fall below their normal standards at some point,
And we also have to accept that the number of really great ideas for road trips/challenges/general cocking about is finite,
So either they carry on with this kind of thing with the quality dropping off rapidly until audience figures plummet so rapidly that the whole show gets pulled
Or they do as they are doing and wean us gradually back onto the TG from the earlier days, thus at least retaining the core audience and hopefully many of those who came for the cocking about but stayed becasue they got into the show.

Probably.

Last edited:
For all the loyal fans that have stuck by TG from the series 1 or 10 or in the middle, yes they seem to want more than they get. But we're just being greedy and selfish and not thinking about how hard putting an episode together is.

I should point out again that the major fan base of TG is split by the entertainment and car factor, which is why many opinions differ.

It is too early to tell, 11x1 was fantastic, 11x2 was not the signature cocking around we have come to expect. I think 8x6 was a great episode, when they went on a caravaning tour. 8x2 when they hosted a radio show.

If they keep up the Wild Challenges then they will win more than they lose.

I love TG through and through, but I know I tend to have unrealistically high expectations for them. So sometimes I feel a bit disappointed by an episode, but I know that eventually they'll get it right and have something better than I even expected. I'm just going to have faith that TG will stay interesting, but even if they lose some of the entertainment factor I think I'll still love it because I would enjoy listening to those three read a phone book, so add some great cars and I'm satisfied.

Although I hope that series 7-10 don't become their best stuff, at least to me anyways, because as much as I love them I have to admit the first couple series were pretty dull and I have to skip a LOT of the bland car talk.