The "New Toys" Thread

I saw that you got one, figured it would be very useful to me and researched hard drive docks on the internet.
Apparently it was the best one I could find. Cheaper than the rest, does the same thing. That only proves that we are both cheap and pick the one that costs the less.

And no, you haven't quite gotten a grip on my soul yet. :p

EDIT: The power of Christ compells you!! The power of Christ compells you!!
No, you're not so evil, and to prove it, I will rep the post above to fight against an evil lolcat.

LOLcats cannot be evil.

I just picked myself up one of these:

7175.jpg

Sony AR520E.

17" widescreen
Intel Centrino Duo T7100 1.8GHz processor
2G DDR2
nVidia 8400M GT video card
HDMI output
200g hard drive
Wireless N ready
1.3 megapixel webcam (which will likely never be used)
Vista Home Premium

I bought it as a left-over model for $899. MSRP is $1549.99. Now I just need to find a decent bag that will fit this monster.
That is the slickest looking laptop i've ever seen.

Finally decided to go for an iPod Touch (32GB). Tha main reason I didnt go for an iPhone is because I would be using the mp3 player/video a lot, and I would imagine the time I wanted to make a call, the battery would be nearly dead.

touch-ipod.jpg

As this is factory sealed, where can I find some n00b guides to jailbreaking (if I even need to, I dont really know what that is!!) and customising it?

Also, anyone recommend a SIMPLE and effective case for it? ie. no fancy patterns or anything like that!

Last edited:
As this is factory sealed, where can I find some n00b guides to jailbreaking (if I even need to, I dont really know what that is!!) and customising it?

http://www.ziphone.org/ (click download near the top of where the posts start)

Jailbreaking allows you to install unofficial applications. I highly recommend it. My iPod automatically submits to Last.fm, I have games, custom themes, and much, much more. :)

Unlocking is for iPhones and that's to go on other networks.

YES! I finally got my new hard drive dock up and working. Formatting the drive right now. Partitioning it was a bitch though, having no extra SATA cables, I had to partition it using a windows installation disk. First I tried my old (first version) XP installation disk on it ... and it would recognize the drive as having only 140 GB of the 500 GB it actually has ... WTF. Then I tried partitioning it with my SP2 XP installation disk I got with my laptop ... and success. :thumbsup:

That got me thinking though .. why the hell would the first version of XP only see harddrives up to 140 GB? And why would SP2 see it that much differently? Weird shit. I blame Microsoft for being inadequate.

... why the hell would the first version of XP only see harddrives up to 140 GB? And why would SP2 see it that much differently? Weird shit. I blame Microsoft for being inadequate.

Don't forget XP came out in 2001. Back then hardware was a lot more expensive and file sharing was barely past music sharing through Napster and KaZaA. Back then I think my hard drive was 30 gigs. :lol:

But yeah, just another shortsighted mistake from Microsoft... just like you still can't put ?, * or < > into filenames in Windows. What's the deal with that? <_<

Heh, I don't think there is any OS which supports characters like that in a filename? I never tried it in Linux, but on the other hand never had the intention to do so. Why would one want to make filenames even more confusing? Readability is key.

Heh, I don't think there is any OS which supports characters like that in a filename? I never tried it in Linux, but on the other hand never had the intention to do so. Why would one want to make filenames even more confusing? Readability is key.

weirdname.png

Yeah, I was referring to OS X.

Such characters are useful for, let's say, episodes of TV shows where the fullname contains such characters.

I need a UPS (ants invaded and ruined my old one), but I never lose power here, so I can't really justify spending the money on one. Plus, it's not the end of the world if I lose PC power.

I need a UPS also. Its been hiccuping here also.
I used to have one its but now its dead (Its about...damn...6 or 7 years old now. Wouldnt trust the U in the UPS ;) )
I can remember back in those days there was a constant (and painfully long) power cuts and I rememeber my father took the UPS and modded it with a car battery. Yes a car battery lol. So we could run some really wanted appliances. But after the constant power cut ended he didn't modded it back and I could even use the computer for a long time without having it plugged in :D but of course I didnt do that much as I was young.

YES! I finally got my new hard drive dock up and working. Formatting the drive right now. Partitioning it was a bitch though, having no extra SATA cables, I had to partition it using a windows installation disk. First I tried my old (first version) XP installation disk on it ... and it would recognize the drive as having only 140 GB of the 500 GB it actually has ... WTF. Then I tried partitioning it with my SP2 XP installation disk I got with my laptop ... and success. :thumbsup:

That got me thinking though .. why the hell would the first version of XP only see harddrives up to 140 GB? And why would SP2 see it that much differently? Weird shit. I blame Microsoft for being inadequate.

Next time, just use a GParted LiveCD. ;)

Or simply Hirens BootCD...

:eek: But what would you do with all that time...

:p

I know when our power went out and it's dark outside I'd have to spend a good 10 minutes navigating to my room and crawling under my desk in pitch black to find the damn reset button on my old power supply to make it stop the constant loud BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEPing.