[11x03] July 6th, 2008

[11x03] July 6th, 2008

• Total voters
Something I've noticed reading this thread. Apart from the complaints about scripting, many people wants to see more of James. And I totally agree. He is by far my favourite of the TG team and a real shame they don't use him more.

i think the show is too short :D

I want more TOPGEAR!!

damn it if scripted wrestling can go for 2 hours why cant top gear!

Very good episode, better then the first two. was that a 996RSR at the trackday?

I think top gear is going down hill, their challenges dont have the detail they used to and seem under stuffed, kind of empty and in the end you come out with out feeling much happened. Also the rest of it...not so great, 11.1 was ok, 11.2 was so so, 11.3 was not so great. Frankly it seems kind of half assed now.

Wow, people are just being negative just for the sake of being negative. Even if they liked this episode, they would not admit it.

Something I've noticed reading this thread. Apart from the complaints about scripting, many people wants to see more of James. And I totally agree. He is by far my favourite of the TG team and a real shame they don't use him more.
Word!

Wow, people are just being negative just for the sake of being negative. Even if they liked this episode, they would not admit it.
Yea, that's why the average rating of all episodes is a 8/10 or a 9/10. People are not being too negative all the time but you're right since some ppl are complaining alot about nonsense :p

I love the Brooklands and the Alfa challenge was excellent.

Given it a 7.. Not sure why..

Im left feeling like something was missing, but a cant put my finger on it..

Maybe its just some small things?
No stig for starters.
No Stunt Jump either.
Bently review was sweet but i think it needed to be reviewed against something.
Alfas and cocking about was ok, the part when they ask how jeremy is doing only for him to have rolled made me laugh, but i think it dragged on far to much and its been done before, and much better,, I wouldnt call it epic... Just good.
News was ok, but i cant actually remember what cars (if any) were shown except that dancia bit??
The road sign bit it funny and wont grow old in a hurry.

On that alfa segment(s)
Maybe they could have cut the Calender section out, and the passing laps bit dragged on.. though the holding up bit was a laugh, if not predictable that Richard would break off for a point... and captian slow holding up traffic has been seen many times.. (and did u notice when they cut back from that shot to jezza, may is behind him?). The lads smashing into May's car is done in every cheap car challenge, slamming the door etc, its getting old... Need to see May start doing it to them.. and messing with Mays car with cheese was funny, but again its a recycled joke... after the bumper bit the lads should have tied Mays car up.. drives off the next morning and the bumper comes ripping off... that would have been much funnier?

After its all said and done, im left wanting more?

I would have liked to seen atleast 1 more car review from Hamster instead of all the cocking about.
I would have liked to see the stig.

OH and for what its worth, i disliked the SIARPC segment with 1 "star", but with 2? Strong dislike now.. I just skip right through it.... get rid of it and have another car segment... or Jimmy Carr doing something (they could call it the "Carr review" or "our legitimate Carr segment")... that would be much funnier...

Not a bad episode, but not a great one as everyone seems to be saying? c'mon, 1 car review and alot of cocking about in a similar fashion to what has already been done?? needs something fresh during the cockup segements... the robin? Limos? Police cars? Africa trip? America Trip? Mini ski jump? Car football? Car boats? ALL have been fantastic challenges/cockups.... cheap car challenge's has been done to the nth degree...

so, 7 it is from me... Might change next time i watch it as it wont be 130am on a tuesday morning...

Last edited:
Jezza: "I'm gonna take a Gallardo Superleggera!" *rejoice* "Utter joy! Oh, wait, it's gone again..." :rofl:

Jezza: "Do you think they're a) sympathetic or b) be a couple of..."
Hamster: "Niiice work!"
Jezza: "No, they're gonna be a couple of..." :blink: :D :rofl:

Hamster: "Test in inconspicuous area first"

Yes, it is staged and scripted and so on and so forth, but it's better scripted as in most of series 9 and 10, that means I'm happy. :) I really laughed hard five or six times. :)

Hilarious episode.:lol:

Average at best.

Bentley Brooklands. Truly a great car. But come on, al we ever see of big Bentleys on track is them caining around spinngin up the rear tyres (no LSD proably) whilst Clarkson mentions Elgar and (pick one) Blenheim Palace. No really a review. Get it out on the roads, waft somewhere and back. Though the sly dig at Hammond made me LOL

News. Too much Clarkson. And aside from the bit where may started to laugh had no real energy to it.

Alfas - Possibly the worst challenge for a long time. So obviously scipted and notthing original. Clarksons "roll", The bumping, The sabotage of James, the upsetting concours judges. The badly made "improvements", The breakdowns. The turning up late to something,

Saying that, this was the only challenge where Clarkson won on merit.

SIARPS - And why are they repeating guests? I dont know the other guy, seemed nice enough. But hes no car fan either so its just plugging another show now.

4/10 I concur with the person above. They arent putting in much effort at the moment. Or converesely ARE putting in too much effort which is why the "sparkle" has gone. That sense that you dont know whats coming next.

Last edited:
Alfas - Possibly the worst challenge for a long time. So obviously scipted and notthing original. Clarksons "roll", The bumping, The sabotage of James, the upsetting concours judges. The badly made "improvements", The breakdowns. The turning up late to something,

Saying that, this was the only challenge where Clarkson won on merit.

Damn, I'm starting to realize the bad thing about this challenge. the humor was overdone and so on.

Good episode.

Didnt like the silly camera work on the Bentley segment, seemed too artsy fartsy. Good to try different things, but that didnt work for me :(

No, the camera work was very distracting in the Bentley segment, I didn't like that at all.

I was expecting SIARPC to be a whole lot funnier. I think having 2 people on kills it, theres not enough general talking which was a shame here cause Brydon was hilarious the last time he was on it. Yes, I can see their going for rivalry but so far that hasn't happened. Maybe they should have got Coogan back with Brydon, that might have been funny.

Alfa challenge was enjoyable, I'm sure it will get funnier the more I watch it.

Anyone can find what was written on jeremy's polo shirt in the episode 11x03, the segment where he was painting the alfa 75?

Last edited:
Definitely the best of the series so far!

I loved the Bently review and Jeremy's driving skills are amazing. I was on the edge of my seat with a smile like this : :D He just looked incredible in that beast of a car. Stunning.

I laughed most of the way through during the Alfa challenge, I adored every moment of it. Particularly when poor James got a bit cranky and left Richard behind, and when those girls turned up James' 'hello' had me screaming :lol:

Fantastic stuff, God I love this show. 10/10

Anyone else notice that Jeremy made an absolute cock-up of the scoreboard? I thought something was up the first time I watched the episode but watching it a second time nailed it - whilst writing out Richard's score he said "and Richard...you're minus 169..." and then proceed to write 169 without the minus sign in front.

It was also left there throughout the rest of the show. And that isn't the worst of it because having done the math, the only score that's right is Jeremy's. Below is the correct scores with comments in brackets)

James' score: ?, 0, -203, 74. Total: -128.5 (not -129.5 as Jeremy said)
Richard's score: 0, 0, -178, 9. Total: -169 (with the minus symbol in the show this would have been right, but Jeremy got that wrong too by leaving it off)
Jeremy's score: 55, 0, -206, 23.5 Total: -127.5 (the only one Jeremy got right!)

So what is it? Ambitious but rubbish!

Below you'll find the image grabs from the episode that back me up:-

The scoreboard is almost complete (it's the best shot of it I can get from the vid so all of us can mock):-
http://img511.imageshack.**/img511/6093/scoreboardsalmostcomplejc7.jpg

James' score as written (incorrectly) on the show:-
http://img185.imageshack.**/img185/2519/jamesscoreasonshowig3.jpg

Richard's score as written (again incorrectly!) on the show:-
http://img411.imageshack.**/img411/8044/richardsscoreasonshowbs2.jpg

Jeremy's score as written (oh my! He got it right! Probably because it was his!):-
http://img141.imageshack.**/img141/2020/jeremyscoreasonshowze3.jpg

And the scoreboard as it was when the end credits started to roll:-
http://img503.imageshack.**/img503/3657/ohdearstillwrongpc9.jpg

And so as we can plainly see, Jeremy didn't win anything! Because due to his failing maths ability, Richard clearly won! The end! :D On a more serious note, they're proving once again, ambitious but rubbish!

Should have let May do the math, he's the intelligent one after all! *nods muchly*

With regards,

Yickle!

Actually, in Robeybobey's review, he talks about the cock up with the maths. While watching it, I didn't even realise he left the negative sign off! I think I was too busy arguing with the other half that James and Richard are really friends and they don't dislike each other as he mentioned. Silly boy.