Rep Posts

im a regular on forums, and one other is also vbulletin. the admin has negative rep disabled for the time being as whenever a spammer or troll comes along everyone tends to gang up on it pmsl
Yes, there is the option to disable negative rep and we played around with it for a while, but people said stuff like "what's the point if it can only go up?". I may revisit that though.

negativity usually breeds more negativity..which in the forum world will probably happen whenever a person figures out who gave out negative rep, so i think thats the main reason why the admin disabled it.

personally i dont give a shit over that sort of thing though it pays to be positive even on the internet i suppose.

Negative rep? I only have to the option to 'approve' of comments. No bad thing I suppose.
You've had your ability to give negative rep removed. I can't remember why though, but the usual reason we do that is rep abuse.

Since i'm fairly new here and never thought about or asked about the rep system before, i'd like to ask...

How does the system work? Like what i am wondering is, if a user wants to give another user a +1 rep, does he have to have a positive rep himself? Like, is he giving away one of his positive rep points or can anyone, regardless of his rep status give + rep?

Sorry if that has been anwsered before, my searches have come up empty.

For one to give another an actually valued rep, the repper needs some rep himself, people with near zero rep don't give valued rep, just rep. The higher the givers rep, the higher the receiver will receive.

The more you receive, the less valued it gets each time as you reach a closer amount compared to your reppers. Something like the speed of light :D

The legend of who came first, the rep or the repper is unknown :p

You get rep based on post count and registration date as well. You don't need any actual rep points to have rep power.

^ Enjoy the new bubble, just gave you +rep :)

I could see the benefit in only having a +1 rep system. People with little to no rep are either new or have not really done anything to warrant positive rep. That being said, I don't think too many people get neg repped too often.

I sign my reps when I actually leave a comment. If I just like a post and have nothing to say, I may not sign it.

I think -rep should really just be a warning to someone that he/she's being a douchebag. This should apply no matter what the person's current rep is. I think this would really helps the newbies though with getting used to the rules and regulations of the forum. So if they're not doing something right they can correct it before they dive into deeper waters.

-rep should never be handed out if someone's just voicing their opinion. In those matters its stupid.

I also +rep people who have negative rep when they make good posts.

It's never too late to turn around your posting habits.

Not sure if it's for all vB forums, but over on another Forum I frequent, we have this thread, explaining in detail how reputation works. Thought it'd be helpful...