New Project: 1986 Honda Nighthawk 700 S

It is finished! (More or less)

It is finished! (More or less)

It's still missing the front and rear decals, and the seat started splitting (a new cover and the decals are on the way) but the thing is completely assembled in running condition.

IMG_1302.JPG

IMG_1303.JPG

IMG_1305.JPG

IMG_1307.JPG

The flash makes it look otherwise, but all the paint is perfectly matched.

Er, what the hell is a chimania?

Edit: Oh, never mind. It's that little fireplace/stove thing next to the brick pile, isn't it? I live in an apartment complex, the bike is in a common storage area for pictures and I guess someone chucked that thing back there. I didn't even notice it before now.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah, they're bloody good, although mine keep blowing up :)

Nice bike BTW, the restoration is coming along well. I've never actually ridden a road bike before, I've cotemplated the idea a few times, but I think I'll just stick to 4 wheels atm.

Edit - Also, bit offtopic, but is it true that it in some states of america you don't need to wear a helmet? Isn't that just asking for death?

Last edited:
Edit - Also, bit offtopic, but is it true that it in some states of america you don't need to wear a helmet? Isn't that just asking for death?

Yes, that is correct, a number of states have repealed their mandatory helmet laws. My own state repealed it with qualifications - if you have a statutorily determined adequate level of insurance coverage and are over (I think) 21, you may ride without a helmet. And yes, it's asking for serious injury, even if you don't crash.

I do support the repeal of mandatory helmet laws, though I will not ride without a full-face helmet. Here is the logic: Per the US Declaration Of Independence, men are entitled to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. All free men are; conversely, a free man may choose to waive any or all of those rights. As one is entitled to live one's life as one chooses as long as one does not infringe upon the rights of others, one may also choose to engage in dangerous or even outright suicidal behavior as long as it does not infringe upon the rights of others.

A free state should *never* try to regulate things like that; after all, isn't the ultimate freedom in life the ability to choose when, where, and how you die? (And no, I'm not suicidal, I'm just pointing out that that is the ultimate logical extension of true freedom.) The state should never try to legislate against a competent adult's choice to conduct themselves in a suicidal fashion provided that it doesn't affect someone else's rights. As suicidal behavior on a bike is exceedingly unlikely to result in anyone else but the bike occupants getting hurt or killed, that is their choice. I think it's a stupid one, but a free society should NOT take that choice away from them. It's their life, it's their decision, and they alone have the right to make it. Bottom line - if you want to commit suicide, go right ahead. That's your right.

In a more practical and cold-blooded light, it tends to remove more of the stupid people from the gene pool so they don't breed. :mrgreen: As the saying goes, "If you don't think your head is worth protecting with a helmet... you're probably right!" Such people should be *encouraged* to dispose of themselves so as to reduce the amount of resources they consume. :lol::mrgreen::lol:

Last edited:
Update: Daytime pics, no flash distortion of colors.

IMG_1314.JPG

IMG_1311.JPG

IMG_1310.JPG

The Nighthawk looks fantastic Spectre. That color combination looks better than I thought it would.

Yeah, I really like it.

I put about 250 miles on it today.

Front & Rear turn signals

Front & Rear turn signals

Hey, Spectre,

The bike looks great! I would really appreciate your assistance tracking down a couple parts you've used on the bike. I have an '86 700SC and am in dire need of new rear turn signals (the old ones are cracked and one has broke off at the base). I read in a previous post that the rear turn signal was Lockhart Phillips, but is that include the entire light assembly, including rear taillight, or just the turn signal assembly? Also, the front mirrors/turn signals; do you recall the make of those? Last request, and I hope I'm not being a pain: if it's not too much to ask and the information is readily available, could you pull the model #'s as well? That info would definitely help immensely!

This is my first bike and I wasn't sure if I could get after-market replacement parts, but your posts have proved it possible.

Thank you,

Ray

Ah, another 700S owner. We're few and far between. Which color scheme do you have? The HRC tribute colors like mine, or the "Halloween" red/orange/black bike?

There is a Nighthawk forum which may be of use to you: http://nighthawk-forums.com/ I'm "86cb700sc" over there.

The rear turn signals are not a direct swap for stock. You will have to drill two small holes in the outer rear fender, which is no big deal, and run the wires through the original stock locations. You will also have to fabricate some wiring extensions because their wires don't reach the connectors under the seat. I got mine from luckybike-accessories on eBay, here's a link to the current auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawa...ryZ35598QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

There are many styles available, including ones with imitation carbon fiber bodies, orange lenses, clear lenses with orange bulbs, etc., etc.

You can also fit many different types of aftermarket lights on stalks. Most fit, and I got a spare rear fender with a set already on it - no drilling or anything required.

As for the mirrors, they were also from eBay, from the seller jagmotorcycle. Here's a link to their current auction. You should know that while their stuff is as advertised, they have horrible communications and won't reply in a timely manner. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hond...012QQitemZ220256975777QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

If you get the mirrors, you should know that if you connect up the LEDs in the mirrors to the flasher wires, you will lose the running light ability and you will have to swap out your turn signal flasher for an electronic one.

I truly appreciate the info, Spectre.

I have the Halloween colors; bought it last year with all original equipment, shed stored, with $9,500 miles on it. It runs great, but the bumpy roads around here are wreaking havoc on the original plastic parts that were already cracking when I bought the bike.

Thanks again!

Ray

FYI, I've figured out how to make the mirror lights work as running lights, now I just have to test it. :D

Mostly it hasn't, since I've been busy at work. I need to go get some automotive relays to test the idea out.

Bumping this back. Turns out that the complex scheme involving relays to do running lights is *totally* unneeded on a 700S. It just needs two patch wires and some diodes spliced in.

Got it working:

[youtube]kjVRy1MZcA8[/youtube]

And a close-up on how the LED looks when working:
[youtube]FP41CmU_dc0[/youtube]

Niiice!

There is a Nighthawk forum which may be of use to you: http://nighthawk-forums.com/ I'm "86cb700sc" over there.

Ah, that took me back. It was great to see the pics on that forum. My first bike was a blue '85 CB650. It needed a partial resto, and thanks to eBay I was able to buy a rust-free tank, gauge cluster, front fender, stock seat in great condition, rear shocks... I had it looking really nice when that uninsured cellphone-motorist turned left in front of me. :(

It was such a comfy commuter bike. If I could find a nice one locally, I'd get it for my girlfriend. And um... borrow it occasionally.

By the way, Spectre, great job on the 700S. Looks terrific!

Put some saddlebags on it:

Here's some pictures. If anything, they'd work even better for those of you that still have rear turn signal stalks.

IMG_0080.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG