?15 million for this

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/videos-pictures/2008/07/10/temenos-virtual-tour-84229-21317480/

watch the vid

im not sure whether i agree or not really...... middlesbrough, my home... isnt the nicest place in the world, but the council have made efforts to make it a nicer place. the town center area is still recieving its gradual make over and i think they did a good job.

theres a few new schools being put up, all of which are nice works of architecture and we have a population who, despite many of them being distinctly working class and alot of them appearing uneducated, do have common sense because they voted in a man called ray mallon in as mayor. (hes an independant, and was ex cheif of police in m'boro) and he's been very good, very tough on crime.

so we have quite well policed streets ... hardly any speed cameras, nicely kept town center and mayor with common sense.

but now they wanna spend ?15 million on this? 2 hoops and some wierd netting stretched over the river tees?

of course the money can be better spent else where. a lot of people and a lot of areas here could do with that money, but if theyre gonna build a landmark to kinda put us on the map as it were..... i cant help but think they coulda come up with something a bit more exciting than that.

but now they wanna spend ?15 million on this? 2 hoops and some wierd netting stretched over the river tees?[...] i cant help but think they coulda come up with something a bit more exciting than that.
... I think it looks fantastic especially from some distance ... at least the way I imagine it after that animation. No idea what it will actually look like in place, but what I see, I like very much ...
I?m not so sure about the 15 Million Pound though ... seems rather expensive for that ... <_< or is it made of Gold?

It's cool looking, but, that's way too much unless it does something. It looks like it could be used for teleportation. THAT'S when it would be worth the money.

I fail to see the point in that thing, unless it is designed to make invading spaceships bounce back into space. It does look like a slingshot. Buy everyone in that county Range Rovers. The money will be better spent that way.

If I jump through it do I go back in time or just end up on the other side of the galaxy?

I bet 10 million of that price tag is for the plutonium and the Flux Capacitor.

they should build it around a bridge made of super strong clear plastic
then it would be worth the money and awesome

It will be worth the money. It will increase tourism. Every American tourist will want to visit the town to see if they can throw a football all the way through the middle of it. :D

Looks great but 15m is way too much. Even at half the price i would say it's expensive.

... I think it looks fantastic especially from some distance ... at least the way I imagine it after that animation. No idea what it will actually look like in place, but what I see, I like very much ...
I?m not so sure about the 15 Million Pound though ... seems rather expensive for that ... <_< or is it made of Gold?

well, the gazette did publish a picture which compared it to other land marks. i think in terms of height it is actually supposed to be taller than the statue of liberty (though liberty isnt all that tall if you discount the pedestal), its going to be a little shorter than the transporter bridge (our landmark for now) and thats actually rather tall. so its going to be quite a size this thing.

no doubt in my mind that the cost comes from the number of people and agencies involved in putting this together... its a classic example of waste. its happened with the 2012 olympic bid, that is now massively over budget simply because theres so many agencies and companies and people all wanting a slice of the action, all trying to make as much money out of it as possible. im sure they dont actually need that many people to do the job, its just the government not being wise and other people taking them for a ride.

I am a fan of the Arts, but 15m is way too much for that. It looks cool, but it's kind of pointless, dont you think?

I am a fan of the Arts, but 15m is way too much for that. It looks cool, but it's kind of pointless, dont you think?

As a fan of the Arts haven't you worked out that "art" IS pointless? :p

As it appeared, 15m is a bit steep. The reason I say that is both hoops have grounding cables. If both hoops were simply placed on supports (pedestals) and were then held in place by tension, I might be impressed. Especially if they make the supports minimal so as to give the illusion of the net/hoopthingy floating. But with grounding cables to act against the tension, this thing = crap.

I'll build it for 14 million.