One reason I dislike modern cars

airmenair

On Saturday night I took my girlfriend to the drive in movie theatre in my town. For those who don't know much about drive ins, they have been apart of Americana for decades, most glorified in the 50 and 60s era by movies, music, and pop culture alike. But, for as long as I remember the drive ins have been extinct, replaced by brand new movie theaters boasting 30 screens with state of the art equipment. I don't know much about the history of drive in theatres, when they started to fade, why they had to be boarded up and abandoned, what caused them to fail, but the legacy they had in the America during those times.

Sometime, maybe 2-3 years ago, I saw construction of 4 large screens off the main interstate just north of the town I live in. I wondered in amazement what in could be. Never did the thought of a drive in theatre pop into my head, it didn't actually hit me until they actually put up a sign saying "Galaxy Drive in Theatre." :lol: I hadn't really ever considered how many/if any were still in existance. It seemed just like a distant tradition that had passed by long ago. From what I've heard and some brief little research, there are hardly any in the state, I've heard of one other. For a state as large as Texas, that is a huge rarity, and to think one is in this small town I'm from of ~15,000 people. Once it opened for business, this place has been a massive hit. Cars line up in long lines every night of the week, yes it's open 7 days a week. Weekends during the summer are even more packed. I'm sure some of the members on here from the North Texas area have heard of it, if they haven't gone and visited yet. Only 30 miles south of Dallas after all. People travel 60+ miles just to come and watch a movie here.

For more info on the theatre and drive ins in general, here is it's website.
http://www.galaxydriveintheatre.com/

Back to the present. In deciding which car to take based on what would be the most comfortable and provide the best viewing area we chose her car. I've been to this theatre at least five times, but it was the first time I had taken her car. So while we're waiting in line for tickets I say outloud, oh you have automatic lights (You're asked to dim/turn off your lights when entering the screen area to be polite) to which she says oh you can turn them off just rotate the indicator stock to the right and hold it. They'll go off. Turn the off and now we've got the tickets and we're headed to the screen area to find a good spot. The whole time I have the lights off on the way to the screen the car is beeping at me "alerting" me my lights are off. I know they're off! I want them off! Lights on at a drive in are very annoying to me, and are considered rude by drive in etiquette. I liken it to talking on a cell phone in a movie theatre. We situate near the back and ready to watch.

I turn the car off and then realize, oh wait, we need the windows down. It is summer after all in Texas, it'll get stuffy. I put the key in the 'on' position and then think, wait don't the lights come on when I put the key there? Ah but no matter, I turned the auto lights off. I see light in front of me but I can't tell if its coming from the car I'm in or not. It happens to be shining right in the eyes of some people in front of us. So I ask my girlfriend about and she says she thought it did. Well I figure a little experiment might be in order. I turn the key off and the light is still there, "ah well its not this car." Then it goes out, "hmmm" I put the key back in the 'on' position. Light comes back on blinding the people again, "shit! yea it is this car." I forgot the damn light stays on for some amount of time after the key is taken out. Then I think, well how did that happen, I turned the auto lights off a just a minute. Damn thing resets itself once the car is off, annoying. If I want the lights off, stay off!

About 10 minutes later she decides she wants to go to the bathroom before the movies starts but being unfamiliar with the area and it being dark she wants me to show her where it is. Being the world we live in today, I think it's smart to roll up the windows and lock the car. Well this time I'm smart, I hold the indicator stock in position to keep the auto lights from coming on when I turn the key to roll up the windows, and it works. Then I have to lock the car, I decide to be nice and lock from the inside and not use the keyless which will make a very loud noise once it is locked. We trot to the bathrooms and she decides the line is too long and can hold it for the movie. Getting back to the car I realize that if I unlock the car using the remote the lights will again come on and blind the people in front of me. I figure just using the good old key and lock will do the trick. Turn the key, door unlocked. I go to open the door and as soon as it's open it starts honking at me. Apparently it didn't like that method entry. In a huff she tells me to hit the panic button to shut it up. I do and it only makes it worse and louder, I hit it again and it finally shutup. I get in the car and am pretty annoyed at all these gizmos working against me. I then realize I have to go through the kafuffle of holding the indicator stock and turning the key to roll the windows down to keep the lights from coming on. Finally I pull the key out and am ready to watch the movie as I watch the interior lights stay on and finally start to dim as if I were willing them to turn off with my annoyed stare.

Rest of the movie went ok, but all this just made me dislike even hate a little all these modern contraptions that are everywhere in life. In my mind simpler is better and I know alot of you see different. My girlfriend likes her car alot and that's cool and I'm sure alot of you like your cars that have alot of these conveniences. It's just not for me. Oh, and for all you pickup truck haters out there, there is no better vehicle out there for a drive in movie than a pickup. Park it backwards, open up the tailgate, bring some pillows and blankets and stretch out and enjoy under the stars. Well, aside from my Mustang that is. :mrgreen:

I thought that the only consideration when taking a car to a drive in was its 'snuggle' comfort potential. .... I have been sadly mis-informed.

I thought that the only consideration when taking a car to a drive in was its 'snuggle' comfort potential. .... I have been sadly mis-informed.

Haha, well that is true you haven't been misinformed. But it wasn't much of a consideration because neither of our cars are very "snuggly," it's hard to find a car that doesn't have bench seat that is snugly. And I don't know of any cars that have bench seats other than trucks for sale today. But we made do with what we had, trust me. :mrgreen:

Drive-ins are dead because the owners are a bunch of whiners. But that is besides the fact. I'm just glad you didn't say OBD-II, or fuel injection is why you hate modern cars.

You can just hold the key in the "lock" position in most cars to wind up the windows, and the "unlock" to wind them down.

A reason to love my hand crank windows in my Jetta!!! :)

A general rule of thumb for drive-ins: if your car was built before the Telstar Gemini, then it's all set.

I quite like drive ins, mainly because it?s much more comfortable than a theatre, you can smoke, and get up to take a piss without really disturbing anyone...

I?ve discovered that my car is useless at it though, racing seats just don?t work very well if you?re trying to kick back and watch a movie, which has caused me to enjoy the experience in all sorts of other cars... the experiences have ranged from the quest to turn off the automatic lights, the inability to turn the goddam screen of the bmw-satnav off while having the radio on at the same time, to being unable to disable the traffic-news function of the radio...

I?ve also found that absolutely none of these things are a problem once you?ve gotten used to the car and know how to trick it into doing what you want it to do. With older cars the owners would fiddle with the all the little mechanical habits of their cars, nowadays you have to master your vehicle?s electronics, so not much has changed... I quite like the fact that there are still some small challenges in driving a modern car :D

I THINK, I'm not sure because I haven't tried, that the dial that turns on the headlights has a position to turn of the DRL .
*looks up*
no thats for the fog lights...
but apparently they don't come on if I use the hand break. Good to know I'll have to test that.

Car is too complicated

I cant believe nobody asked what car this happened in, lol

You can just hold the key in the "lock" position in most cars to wind up the windows, and the "unlock" to wind them down.

Well I tried it in a couple of positions but didn't have any success. I don't think I tried turning the other direction though. I think that works in a few cars, I'll have to see next time I can play around in her car. If you're talking about just the key controlling the windows, then no. Her car isn't that fancy.

Car was a 2006 Chevy Cobalt SS, so it's not the most advanced car on the road for certain. I'll try that trick when I see her next vvvvv

Wanna trade your girlfriend's annoying car for mine's cockroach-nesting one? ;D

I think you're problems are down to the general laziness of drivers worldwide (I'm not just going to single out Americans because it's an American car, no matter how tempting it is). Car companies make these automatic things to eliminate the effort needed to flick a switch...

Which is why you should buy an old Land Rover (Don't tell me you didn't know it was coming :D). You can put cosy seats in it, take the entire roof off, or just open the sliding windows (silent technology!). You might have difficulty listening to the movie (unless it has been fitted with one of those radios, with them speakers), but it would be great.

I personally find modern cars pretty boring, or at least the ones I could have right now, which is why I love the old Landies so much.

Edit: Should I have the 'Official Land Rover Fanboy' Title? :D

I hate automatic lights. They're annoying. Unfortunately, I have to drive my dad's car if I don't have my friends drive me (yay! recession! <_<), and he insists that auto-lights are the greatest invention ever. After the automatic transmission. Thankfully, Ford thought of me when they made the 1995 Taurus SHO, and they made it quite easy to turn them off.

Oh yeah, we have 2 or 3 drive-ins within 30 miles. Used to have more, but one closed for sure and I'm pretty sure another one did too.

Personally I like automatic lights because I always seem to get the idiot in the dark car behind me who refuses to turn on his lights in poor visibility so he's impossible to see when he inevitably tries to pass me on the right. But they should only come on if the engine is running to avoid problems like you had at the drive in.

If it's one thing I hate about modern cars it's that they seem to have been purposely designed so that you have to take them to the dealer for any servicing. That's just one of the reasons why I love my Disco. I can easily get to everything and I don't even have to jack it up to change the oil.

but apparently they don't come on if I use the hand break. Good to know I'll have to test that.
That's the way the Jet is, when you pull the handbrake up the lights turn off but they come on when you release it. My car being a manual I have to use the handbrake quite a lot to keep it still when on a hill, so it won't role into a pole...oh no rhymes are coming out my fingers. :lol:

Can I get an "amen"? There is too much of this BS in modern cars, what-with technology automating everything, forcing you to think in-depth about how to work everything manually. It's like car makers think we're stupid.

With older cars the owners would fiddle with the all the little mechanical habits of their cars, nowadays you have to master your vehicle?s electronics, so not much has changed
The difference is that having to fiddle with the electronics is an artificial problem introduced by engineers who think they know what we want more than we do.

I sure like having a car with manually-switched lights, manually-switched wipers, manual (but powered) locks and windows, and (most of all) a manual transmission. Sure, I can accidentally lock myself out of the car, but at least I don't have to deal with all this automated BS every single day.

If it's one thing I hate about modern cars it's that they seem to have been purposely designed so that you have to take them to the dealer for any servicing.
That should be illegal.

That's the way the Jet is, when you pull the handbrake up the lights turn off but they come on when you release it. My car being a manual I have to use the handbrake quite a lot to keep it still when on a hill, so it won't role into a pole...oh no rhymes are coming out my fingers. :lol:

You can disable the daylight running lights on a 95-98 Jetta just by pulling a fuse. It does save a little in mileage and its much less annoying when your driving into a drive in or country club for din din or stalking.

There is a great drive in out in Oswego NY the best part is the concession stand cost is like half that of Loews. Although modern cars are not great for drive ins too many bucket seats its hard to get the right position.