The "New Toys" Thread

Hey I got a new tv today too :D. I decided to go with the 32" Panasonic instead. I know I could have a free Sony PS3 but the Panasonic definately had a better picture by miles. It has taken me forever to get one and now I have one and I'm soo happy. Now all I have to do is enter the Panasonic promo and hopefully win something decent!
IMGP1026.jpg

And yes its the same as some of the tvs that Top Gear use, but that wasn't one of the deciding factors (it was a small factor :D)
I love this TV :woot::thumbsup:

I also got one of these about a month ago for my birthday, awesome photos.
538290537_24e5c22db6.jpg

Will need to spend lots of time to use it properly!

But no HDMI port?

AFAIK there are very few video cards with HDMI output. The only reason you would want one is if your video card supported taking the audio from your PC and spitting it out the HDMI port.

Otherwise DVI is the exact same thing as HDMI and you just need a DVI/HDMI cable like I run (my monitor's only digital input is HDMI).

I picked up a cheap HD 3540 (made by VisionTek also) about a month ago that had an HDMI and two DVI-I's out. I want to say it was only $80 ($40 after rebate). I figured something like what devil500 bought would have had one as well.

Hmm, I dunno if I like that. Then you're left with no analog (besides VGA) out.

My video card is like devil500's -- 2 DVI + a combo S-Video port that you can also plug in an adapter for either component (RGB HD) or composite (yellow). If I need HDMI, I can just use DVI/HDMI.

One of the DVI ports is used as HDMI-out by using an adapter. It will even output 7.1 audio using the built-in sound chip. ;)
Ah, there we go!

Best solution honestly.

Yeah, some video cards in the ATI lineup do that, so you're set in terms of hooking up to an HDTV.

But I wanted a GeForce 9 card so I just got a 9800 and use a DVI-HDMI cable. Audio goes through the dual RCA connector, whatever that's called... left and right from my TV goes to the headphone jack of the computer.

It's essentially the same for me, as I don't have surround speakers anyway. An $18 cable allowed me a lot more choices in video cards, basically.

One of the DVI ports is used as HDMI-out by using the included adapter. It will even output 7.1 audio using the built-in sound chip. ;)

Yup it came with an HDMI adapter, but seriously it gets really hot unless you do a mod in the code for the fan...Before I changed the code it was like 78 C, now it idles around 40 which is better and under load at about 50..Great card really works well with my whole new rig, but the card itself is the show piece :cool:

ALso I might install a heat skin that I have to the card which should lower temps even more hehe

Last edited:
Got me a Speedlite 580ex II for my 350d. I want to upgrade to a 40D but definitely lack the financial backings. =)

Yesterday I bought one of these:

Sony_Ericsson_HPM-85.jpeg

Sony Ericsson HPM-85 headphones and they are superb. the quality sound is top notch, the bass sounds great. I'm amazed the quality of the sound my W950i has. I was doubting wether to buy an iphone or not. But I think I'll stay with my 4GB sony ericsson (more than enough for me IMO) for sound quality and playing LucasArts graphic adventures using ScummVM. ^_^

That's the screen I have. More light bleed than I expected, but I notice it more because I always use a very very dark background.

Jamie Oliver / T-Fal Professional series cookware

55549075l.jpg

Not your usual "toy," but I've been looking for some good SS cookware for a while now and got a smoking deal on these.

Crumpler Pretty Boy 4000 XL in Black/orange.

Brilliant bag from what I've seen so far. Fits all my stuff (but with no room for any more... - may be a problem for future lens buying).

163078779947f12489f0686.jpg

I first got the Large, but found it was too small - that will take your camera with one lens attached. This XL will take the camera, with 2 lenses (one attached).

^ Mines only a 4000 though. But brilliant bags!

Make that 4 of us. I have the exact same bag in the same black/orange color combo.

I really like my bag.

Crumpler bags FTW!