Random Thoughts....

Germans, answer me this: why is Saxony located below Lower Saxony? :?

Actually, if you look at it that way ... Lower doesn't actually have anything to do with the north-south direction. Everyone's most inclined to say that something is lower on the map than something else, but that's because most maps today come standard with the north in the upper direction. However, not all maps need to do that, nor do all maps do it. We might have adopted our maps to be upside down, and it would not have made a difference. In fact, there are maps that are much more useful with the south diretion put towards the top of the map.

So besides the fact that Lower in this case has nothing to do with cardinal directions, nor do directions on a map have to align with the cardinal directions. If you were to take the word "low" in a geographical context, really, it rather indicates altitude than cardinal direction. So if something you see on a map is indicated as "lower" more than probably it's in some kind of valley or depression.

Haha, thanks for that guys. :cheers:

And on another point, why is South Bend one of the most northernmost cities in Indiana? :p
Most probably it was named by people living north of Indiana. :p

In fact, there are maps that are much more useful with the south diretion put towards the top of the map.

Maps given to women travelling south?

i'm sorry, couldn't resist, too easy, had to be made

Does anyone remember the video where the kid gets hit with a ball and shouts 'Aurghh! My face!'..?:hmm: The classic one, you know!

I can't find it anywhere..

cool.jpg

That case.

The specs were: Abit AN8 Ultra, AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ @ 2.0ghz, ATI Radeon X800XL 256mb, Creative Audigy SE, 2gb DDR 400, Coolmax Fanless 450w PSU

So my city is sponsoring a hovercraft exhibition this evening and when I was reading about it in the paper yesterday it sounded great. Small races, rides, demos, and other cool stuff were all advertised. Today's paper informed me that the big hovercraft giving the rides is broken so now the event will consist of a single smaller hovercraft just going up and down the river a few times. Ambitious but rubbish.

But not to worry! This weekend should be filled with plenty of local entertainment thanks to a bicycle race downtown on Saturday and F-104s at the air show on Sunday. I can't wait! :woot:

Just got a landline phone hooked up at my new apartment.

Damn, it feels so good to be talking on a real phone after using my mobile exclusively for a few months. It just doesn't feel the same when you're talking on a miniature mobile.

So my city is sponsoring a hovercraft exhibition this evening and when I was reading about it in the paper yesterday it sounded great. Small races, rides, demos, and other cool stuff were all advertised. Today's paper informed me that the big hovercraft giving the rides is broken so now the event will consist of a single smaller hovercraft just going up and down the river a few times. Ambitious but rubbish.

But not to worry! This weekend should be filled with plenty of local entertainment thanks to a bicycle race downtown on Saturday and F-104s at the air show on Sunday. I can't wait! :woot:

Ah, but will they fly?

Or be full of eels?