Fallout 3: Banned in Australia

Yeah we don't have full bans but we don't have the "anything goes" thanks to people like Jack Thompson
I disagree. Sure, they'll try to get them banned or at least regulated but the first amendment will always protect certain video games from being outright banned IMO.

That's the problem IMO, it's only "certain" ones IE PC games. Console games (my only source of video games) are still regulated so we aren't a free as I wish we were. Not trying to argue with you, sorry if it sounds like that because we are far from that craziness of Mad Maxvillle. But Fallout won't be banned it will be censored to fit regulations ... like they have to do here (to a lesser extent) just because you can see a boob. Than again in our case it's more of a soccer moms with too much time on their hands vs a government ban.

And in the list of "stupid bans" Australlia banning for drug use isn't nearly as bad as China banning that football video game for reconizing Tibet as a country or Germany for banning all Nazi referenced games and I can't remember who but somebody banned Mass Effect because of a lesbian scene between Aliens and Humans (that wasn't graphic in the slightest) Oh and Pokemon is banned in Saudi Arabia :rofl:

I don't see why, the US is exactly the same.

It isn't the same, in the US the industry regulates itself not the government. If someone wants to release "Sex Violence 2000: The Sexining" they can do so. Most game shops won't carry it as they participate in the ESRB, but other places can go ahead and sell it.

Meh, in the 90s and early 2000s censoring games happened frequently in Germany.
For example Fallout 1 and 2 had to have all the kill animations and blood removed, stims were kept.
However there were plenty of games that were banned in germany for excessive violence like Soldiers of fortune, a dealer could actually get fined or go to jail for putting it on the shelves.
I could recite a whole lot of examples but I guess many here wouldn't even remember them, or are too young to have played them, like the crusader series...

Anyway, nowadays the censoring agencies have far laxer limits and usually simply brand them as 18+ instead of banning them outright.

Actually, the game developers now code their games with german limits in mind for the whole process , which means that the whole word now suffers under them.

Btw, here is a list of all the banned games: http://www.cybercafe-software.com/indexlist.html

Last edited:
I can't give you a specific source for that, but often times when there is an interview with a game developer in a magazine here, the question if there will be a special version for germany often comes up.

Most of the time the answer to that question is that there will be only 1 international version and that they are taking steps to insure that it conforms to regional laws.
As Germany internationally has one of the stricter laws on gaming and is one of the main market places, they sort of acknowledge that.

Fall Out 3 cleared for Australian release
In its original state, Fallout 3 was deemed no good for the Australian market. Too many drug references for the Australian Office of Film & Literature Classification's liking. But now, well, now it's all good! A revised edition of the game has been cleared for release, and has been classified MA15+ by the OFLC, a rating based on the title's "Strong violence, drug references and coarse language". For the record, an MA15+ rating - the highest Australian law permits - means persons under the age of 15 can't legally purchase the game. What's unknown at this stage is the extent of the edits made; it could be a few simple name changes to the in-game drugs, it could mean a more fundamental overhaul of the game's menu/icon system, we don't know yet. It's the middle of the night in Australia. We'll update when we do know.
http://www.kotaku.com.au/games/2008/08/fallout_3_cleared_for_australian_release-2.html
It's been edited... but it is coming, but its been edited.

Last edited:
We need an R18 rating for games in Australia!!

A mate just told me they renamed Morphine to First Aid...