No 56k: Rolling Down Eastlink

doigal

Was on a photoshoot down Melbourne's new Eastlink tollway today with a carclub, seemed like a good idea to get in before they put the tolls on in a couple of weeks time. I was shooting with a 20D and a 24-105 IS lens out the sides of a convertable, very very very cold thing to do!

CC welcome and encouraged, click for bigger.

Cheers for looking.

Last edited:
Great pics! Looked like fun too.

good lens
how much you paid for the lens

Cant remember, Bought it new but i know it can be had for a lot cheaper now.

^I honestly didn't see any speed cameras and I drove the whole length last weekend! Unless of course those dodgy c%!@s have hidden them in the E-Tag gantries.

To be honest, when its 8am, hungover and the world is through a tiny viewfinder i couldnt see any speed cameras.

Its definatly a freeway that i'll be sure never ever to stray over on, i reckon they'll make more money off the cameras then they will the tolls!

^I honestly didn't see any speed cameras and I drove the whole length last weekend! Unless of course those dodgy c%!@s have hidden them in the E-Tag gantries.

what's actually more frustrating is people doing 80km/h then slamming on the brakes to go under the gantries.

Does the Vic govt officially conceal some speed cameras? Don't you get the three-warning signs before the speed camera, like in NSW?

/oh and the slamming of the brakes would really give me the shits:censored:

Does the Vic govt officially conceal some speed cameras? Don't you get the three-warning signs before the speed camera, like in NSW?

Officially? Well, they won't admit that the cameras are concealed, but when they hide them behind signs on overhead gantries so that you can't see them at all as you approach...

As for signs, all we get is the vague 'Safety cameras operate in this area', which can mean anything from 'The next 10km is saturated with them', to 'Once every 18 months there's a mobile camera unit somewhere in the next 50km'.

As for signs, all we get is the vague 'Safety cameras operate in this area', which can mean anything from 'The next 10km is saturated with them', to 'Once every 18 months there's a mobile camera unit somewhere in the next 50km'.
Yeh, we get those signs in as well, although they mean bugger all.

I said "officially" because I was wondering what the official policy is down there. I guess the hiding of cameras above gantries answers that one...

Its just such a badly thought out idea. Genuniely creates a safety hazard, IMO.

BTW - nice photos :thumbup: and sorry for the OT...

^ I believe the official policy is that the cameras can't be concealed, but I'm not sure if anyone's challenged it in court.