Leaking fuel tank

liberal noob

Car(s)
1999 VW Jetta
My fuel tank on my 1999 VW Jetta is leaking.

Can it be repaired or do I need to buy a new tank? If I need a new tank; does anyone have an idea how much this will set me back?

It's probably a plastic tank. While it can be repaired by an expert, it is not recommended, nor is it legal in many states. Also, those repair kits you see in stores are NOT permanent solutions.

I would get a new or good used one. Check eBay or your local salvage yards.

By the way, if it is leaking from the bottom, someone probably icepicked your tank for fuel.

I've found that JB Weld epoxy or the like works nicely for fuel tank repair. Certainly not as ideal as new tank, but easier to do.

If it is metal and not plastic for the love of god DO NOT WELD IT :)

Correction, don't weld it unless you know what you're doing.

Back in the days when F1 cars had metal in them I know of at least on case where a fuel tank, with fuel in, was brazed up.

I've found that JB Weld epoxy or the like works nicely for fuel tank repair. Certainly not as ideal as new tank, but easier to do.

Same here, I used epoxy to patch up the bottom of a tank that had a couple small punctures in it, and it is still holding perfectly fine. I used the same trick on the oil pan of my parent's van, and it's still holding without any leaks.