James May: Exclusive: James May talks to me about FinalGear!!!!

It's 2008 - who doesn't use the Internet?

Clarkson + Internet = Mayhem on Top Gear. ("I went on the internet and i found this!") :lol:

robybobey, i thank you no end. And i would buy u a pint if i was with u :cheers:

EDIT: I should thank James and Oz too, seeing as they did give up some of their time to talk to you, seeing as im sure they get harrassed a lot.

Last edited:
Wow...that's pretty unbelievable. I couldn't imagine any other public figure, even Hammond and Clarkson, making such impromptu conversation to a fan waving a camera in front of his face.

I'd love to buy May a beer and spend an afternoon talking to him about motorcycles and old cars, and not gaping in awe because I'm such a fan I'm overcome with shock. :D

:lol: at the chick that whooshes across the screen at 1:17.

Hey, can we get a transcript of your 2 convos with the guy? I'm so chuffed! (is that the right expression?)

D:
OH NO
MY VAGINA HAS BEEN STOLEN
WHERE DID YOU PUT IT
:roflmao:

Robybobey FTW! Way to take the initiative! Thanks for sharing with us.

I love the bit about how the two of them are 'not allowed to touch each other'. :lol:

DUDE YOU ROXORZ!!!!!!! :thumbsup:

Major +rep to you, and I'll get you back one more time for this in a sec, just gotta distribute some more.

Edit: +repped 1 more time :D. If anyone else received a rep in this thread (skylock, matt2000, lilleput) and it didn't have a comment on it and you're wondering who it was, it was me, I had to spread rep around :mrgreen:. Enjoyz.

Last edited:
Mainly, just treat them with respect. They're people with jobs to do. I grew up here in Nashville, any yes, many country music stars actually live here. So do a number of Hollywood stars, and people from other music genres. If you get out much, or attend charity events, or even just go shopping, you'll run into them. They're practically a neighbor, so treat them as such. No, not like the neighbor with the dogs that bark all night. More like the nieghbor who keeps a neat yard and doesn't throw parties which line the streets with cars.

There are some people in the "fame industry" who are flakier than an obsessive fan, and they're gonna be flakes no matter how you treat them. But from what I've heard of others' encounters with the TG blokes, these guys are the down-to-earth real deal. If you get to meet them, my suggestion is don't forget to show your appreciation for that.

My company was recently participating in a charity event hosted by country music star Vince Gill. One of my co-workers is a HUGE fan of the man. When Gill arrived, my co-worker was nervous and wanted to meet him, but didn't want to bother him and was afraid of being nervous, and in turn making him nervous. I said "Ah, whatever", and walked over and introduced myself. He was a genuinely nice guy, and treated my co-worker like an old friend.

To contrast, I've met guitarist Yngwie Malmsteen a few times, but only once when he was sober. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's flaky, but he is a bit cautious of everyone. Having met some of his other fans, I can understand why. Maybe he just attracts a different kind of personality.

James is a lovley guy to chat to. Have met him twice within a few weeks, back in June. :D

James is a lovley guy to chat to. Have met him twice within a few weeks, back in June. :D

Glad to hear that. I hope to get a chance to chat with him some day. I'll definitely make being in the audience of a TG taping a priority when vacationing in England.

This is one of the reasons why i like James May the best on Top Gear, he's just such a gentleman about these things.

I'd rather have a Panda then a SL55 anyway. :cool:

+1 Rep for you! Its nice of James to take the time to talk to a fan!