Anyone going to catch the solar eclipse?

lvnproficy

Car(s)
2006 Honda Accord
Should be able to see it partially from Northern Europe, according to the Wikipedia gif:

Solar_eclipse_animate_%282008-Aug-01%29.gif

Wish I still lived in Europe so I could get it.

Its hard to photo an eclipse since in a 20 second exposure, the sun and moon move a fair bit and you get a blurry image. Last eclipse i tried to photograph but they came out crap. But watching people use their camera flash to photograph the moon quickly removed any disappointment lol.

stupid clouds get OUT OF THE WAY! I CAN'T SEE!

Same here, went to check it out, too cloudy. :(

It was perfectly clear here :) I have an arc shape burned in my retina for the next week now...

Yes, I used protective film, but I also tried to take photos, and there's enough light going through the viewfinder.

EDIT:
Here's one shot through clouds, after the peak moment has passed already:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/08/01/eclipse.jpg

Last edited:
It was perfectly clear here :) I have an arc shape burned in my retina for the next week now...

don't you mean until forever?
I was told that if you look directly at it you'll go blind eventually, and do long term damage to your eyes, even from watching a minute or so

Took some shots for my newspaper of the eclipse, we only got about 2/3 eclipse at 11.36 local time, photo of that:

2723257374_14cfe9693c_o.jpg

Notice also the funny shadows during the eclipse, shadow of leaves:

2723257596_077f291916_o.jpg

Edit: I used a largeish piece of film from the printing press. :)

It was probably pretty eerie when it happened since everything almost goes as dark as night. I am so jealous of everyone who was able to see it! :mad:

It doesn't go dark unless it's a full eclipse. As I said we had 57% and it wasn't noticeable at all. Some tiny cloud had a 20 times more effect :)

I have seen one Full total eclipse in 1976. I have seen several partial eclipses, including one earlier this year.

Partial eclipses in 1974, 1998, 2002.

This one was rather invisible to me, but I do remember the one in 2001 or 2002.
That was the first one I remember to be completely eclipsed, went real dark and real quiet outside for 10 minutes or so.

Next one I can see (well, here anyway) is 2090. Hope I'm still alive by then!

^ I'll be 98 then, so we can only hope! And I also remember the one in '01 or '02. I was 9 or 10 then, and it was very spooky. We went down to Devon so got a very clear night too. The moment when the shadow of the sun moves across you is one awesome feeling. How the shadow could move so silently, smoothly and quickly really got to me. Brilliant experience for what is essentially just a few seconds every hundred years or so.

The major one that went across Europe was in 1999.

The absolute maximum of the eclipse was actually in Romania, just south of the lower arm of the Carpathians.