NASCAR in Montreal

MattW

Car(s)
1993 Volvo 940 Turbo Wagon, 07 Civic Hybrid
I'd turn it on if you can, it's raining out, and they've just put on the rain tires and windscreen wipers.

ESPN2 in the states, most likely TSN in Canada, not sure for anyone else.

I gotta say, watching this is painful. The announcers are acting like this is the worst rain to drive in ever. You can still see the vehicles, thereby it's no where near as bad as the Japanese GP last year.

Although it's still neat to watch any motorsport in the wet.

How man guys aren't running wipers like ol' Villeneuve? I'm sort of only watching during X-Game commericials lol

About half of the cars have no wipers. I'm assuming they're loaded up on Rain-X.

As for the commentators, remember that this is the first time EVER that a NASCAR race has been run in the wet.

Which also shows how lame of a racing series it is.. CART and IRL race in the rain lol

You cant race on Ovals in the rain. It would kill the tires within about 5 laps. ;) Also, this was the first time it has ever rained at a NASCAR event on a road course.

Ron Fellows wins.
Poor Marcos Ambrose, he had the entire field outclassed and still doesn't win.
He got a speeding penalty and got caught out by pit strategy.
I was also really impressed by Joey Logano (sliced bread), it was his first road coarse race ever and in the rain at that, and he got as high as 4th before crashing out under yellow.

Last edited:
That was a good race, hopefully this inspires NASCAR to do more road circuits and more road courses in the rain.

NASCAR in the rain? I might have to watch that, I'll be honest I've only watched half a NASCAR race and found it a bit dull to watch but I've never watched NASCAR on a proper track

agreed might have to download this one. Sounds interesting.

I can't believe that in 60 years of NASCAR this is the first rain event ever!!!! Thats crazy.

Why would a wet oval kill the tyres in 5 laps? I don't understand this logic.

Why would a wet oval kill the tyres in 5 laps? I don't understand this logic.

Rain tires are made of much softer rubber which, would not stand up to the weight of a 3400 pound car on a high banked turn. They could probably run rain tires on a flat track, such as Indy or Pocono, but since ovals don't have any run off area, they'd rather not risk running without enough grip to slow down.

But the same could be said for any circuit. Use a harder compound of rain tyre!! The grip and therefore the abrasiveness wouldn't be anywhere near as high in the rain. The bigger problem I think would be the lap when the rain came down. Due to the extreme high speed and commitment the tolerances would be very fine and a 5% reduction in grip could have most of the field in the wall.

Rain tires are made of much softer rubber which, would not stand up to the weight of a 3400 pound car on a high banked turn.

It can't be because of the weight - IndyCar / IRL / ChampCar also never run in the rain on ovals.

You don't race ovals in the rain because of the high speed and the walls. The slowest of ovals is about the speed of the fastest point on CGV, and the walls are a lot closer.

Steve

NASCAR sucks. It gives us a horrible reputation in international motorsport.

Grand Am is where it's at.

You don't race ovals in the rain because of the high speed and the walls. The slowest of ovals is about the speed of the fastest point on CGV, and the walls are a lot closer.

Steve

As usual Steve makes sense. On a traditional circuit it starts to rain a couple of cars slide into the gravel trap at slowish speed. By the time other cars come around they know about the hazard. In NASCAR 30 cars all at 180mph all hit the same slippery bit at roughly the same time causing an immense problem blocking the track. I can see its a problem. Still a shame though.

wow NASCAR's really aren't that quick on road circuits, pole for that race was 1:42.568, a Porsche GT3 Cup will lap quicker than that, I guess there a bit out of there environment though, I doubt a GT3 will be quicker on an oval

wow NASCAR's really aren't that quick on road circuits, pole for that race was 1:42.568, a Porsche GT3 Cup will lap quicker than that, I guess there a bit out of there environment though, I doubt a GT3 will be quicker on an oval

Specially considering F1 Q3 qualifying times where 1:17's and 1:18's hahah