House GOP stage a sit-in

Update 4: Republican leaders just sent out a notice looking for a bullhorn, and leadership aides are trying to corral all the members who are still in town to come speak on the floor and sustain this one-sided debate.

The assembled tourists, aides and members in the chamber gave Price and his compatriots a standing ovation. They left the chamber to shouts of "USA! USA! USA!"

That's just so funny.

Maybe the GOP can pull something off like they did in 1994. But they seem to be a little less contract with America-y.

I think it's rather disgusting that congress is taking a summer vacation. They don't deserve one quite frankly.

I think it's rather disgusting that congress is taking a summer vacation. They don't deserve one quite frankly.

None of them do. I am appalled by actions on both side in the past two years, at least some of them had the cojones to stand up (well, in this case sit down) and focus on a real problem.

Maybe not, but the less time they're sitting in office, the less time they have to screw the place up.

Maybe not, but the less time they're sitting in office, the less time they have to screw the place up.

You would think so... but because Congress is paid so handsomely, they have nothing better to do in the summer than go to their "constitutents" and think of more and more contrived ways to bring back the bacon.

In Nevada it's different (and your theory works) because they're paid for the trip to the capital, and that's about it. They also only meet for 90 days every odd year.

Especially when many Americans can't afford to take vacations because of congress.

Nancy Pelosi was on a George Stephanpoulos show, and he asked ten times, yes TEN! about why there is not a debate about drilling one her answers is this:

They -- they'll have to use their imagination as to how they can get a vote and they may get a vote. You never say never to anything. You know, you have to -- people have their parliamentary options available to them. But from my standpoint, my flagship issue as speaker of the House and of this 110th Congress has been to reduce our dependence on foreign oil and to save -- reverse global warming. I am not giving the gavel -- I'm not giving the gavel away to a tactic that will do neither of those things, that supports the oil -- Big Oil at the cost, at the expense of -- of the consumer.

So one of her flagship concerns is to reduce our dependence on foreign oil...yet the debate Republicans want is to pave the way for domestic drilling. Seriously, how stupid is she?

We all the reason why she is refusing debate: it is because this now not a partisan issue, but an American issue. Both sides of the house know that, but I think Madame Pelosi is being influenced by some wacko enviro-fascists. Here is the ugly truth she does not want to confront: if the idea is debated, drilling for oil will win, period.

This is most undemocratic of her, running the house floor like a dictatorship.

So one of her flagship concerns is to reduce our dependence on foreign oil...yet the debate Republicans want is to pave the way for domestic drilling. Seriously, how stupid is she?

She's amazingly stupid, but look at the people who supported her campaign and voted her into office.

This is most undemocratic of her, running the house floor like a dictatorship.

Haven't you gotten the talking points? Only right-wingers can be fascists, as all fascism is right-wing. ;) Of course, when leftists are fascists, it's for the good of The People. ;)

Reactions: Jay
She's amazingly stupid, but look at the people who supported her campaign and voted her into office.

Haven't you gotten the talking points? Only right-wingers can be fascists, as all fascism is right-wing. ;) Of course, when leftists are fascists, it's for the good of The People. ;)

I wont say that fascism is limited to the right, however considering the policies that the right is endorsing more openly right now they would fit the bill more closely (specifically the Bush Administration, I continue to refuse to believe that all Republicans are Bible-thumpers who think Saddam took down the Towers).

Corporatism - Check.
Nationalism - Super big check.
State intervention in personal lives of citizens - Check.
False populist rhetoric - Check.
Xenophobia - Check + laughter.
Disinformation - Check.

That being said the Democrats have similar tendencies in many of the same areas, although they can't pull it off quite like the GOP can. Overall I think the main problem is people throw the word fascist around far too often.

If you base political leanings in terms of government control, fascism will always be on the left side. I'm not sure when "right-wing fascist" became a common pejorative.