The pedal that pushed back - no the other one.

It could work if it's made to be a "suggestive" resistance rather than a pedal that just halts. So if you use a light touch, the pedal will correct you. But if you use more force, you can easily overpower the pedal. I still wouldn't pay extra for this though...

Heh...my family had a Scorpio that did this trick. Except it was on the brake pedal and it was retarded. If the "malfunctioning ABS" light was on, everything was ok...except that you didn't have any ABS. But if the light was of then the pedal would push back during hard braking. Made for some really interesting redlight stops...

When I found myself burning through too much gas in my Camaro, I installed a heavier throttle return spring. It actually helped some, so I can see some reason behind this. But just the idea of a gas pedal with fluctuating resistance bugs me.

Horrible idea, ill just not rev my engine if I wanna save gas.

I would expect toyota to pull something like this...

Heh...my family had a Scorpio that did this trick. Except it was on the brake pedal and it was retarded. If the "malfunctioning ABS" light was on, everything was ok...except that you didn't have any ABS. But if the light was of then the pedal would push back during hard braking. Made for some really interesting redlight stops...
My Disco (and quite a few others from what I've found) had a similar problem where the ABS would kick in for no reason whatsoever. And when the system worked it worked too well and didn't give enough braking force to stop me. After a few pants-wetting stop signs I pulled the ABS fuses and I've felt much safer ever since. What bugged me the most about it was the fact that an electronic system had more control over my vehicle than I did. :mad:

Dasidiot, what color GTI do you ahve and was this an early 08 with the FSI engine or that "TSI" that isnt really a TSI.

it's the candy white (like the one in your avatar) and it has the 2.0T FSI. Only kind of GTI they have in the states AFAIK.

That's pretty common on old Fords.. I know a few that had that problem...

Most lazy slushbox cars have a "kick down" at the bottom of the travel on the throttle, but it's not the same as this system. The kick down is just to tell the tranny to down shift.

Fixed that. :)

Concerning the topic:

Terrible Idea. Really, terrible.

Fixed that. :tease:

Actually, this would only be a not-useless idea if it was activated by a button on the dashboard, like "Sport" and "Economy" modes on some cars. It'd be fun trying to break the pedal by having a tug-of-war match with it.

Why don't they just do the smart thing and introduce turbos in cars? I drive economically in my car by staying out of boost range :)

Well at least you can turn it off....

Do you want to have to turn it off, either in a computer menu or by holding a button every time you start the car?

Why don't they just do the smart thing and introduce turbos in cars? I drive economically in my car by staying out of boost range :)

Same here. I use the gobs of torque my engine has and shift at 2200 rpms.

Do you want to have to turn it off, either in a computer menu or by holding a button every time you start the car?

Knowing Nissan (and I know Nissans!), it would be a literal button.

I also should have posted this here when I found out about it, I think about three months ago, from a Nissan website within a Nissan website.

Oh, and the Cube is coming to America.

I actually sorta have the same thing, the further I push the pedal down the more resistance it has. Although I think it's more a feature of the throttle by wire system trying to emulate a real cable driven gas pedal.

trust me, it WILL have an off switch, anyway, there are people that would kill for an extra .00000001 mpg, and if you want to go eco you won't have to concentrate how much gas you need what is the rev and so on

donotwant.jpg

Im not even sure Toyota would do that. No thanks Mr Nissan

I've lost faith in you guys. 2 pages and no facepalm.jpg?

picard-facepalm.jpg

Much better idea-Just put a damn real-time MPG gauge in the display, that will teach people how to drive economically.

^ Well then get the gauge to speak in a language that ecomental Prius-type drivers would understand: exaggeration.