Coffee!

Hmm yeah, so I bought a coffee press today, along with some special coffee grinded to the correct size for use in a coffee press. All i can say is; WOW!

Tastes SO much better than the coffee our Philips Senseo produces. Sure, it's all nice and easy, but i'd rather put some slight effort into making a fantastic coffee than drink the sewerwater called Senso.

Two coffee flavours I bought;
- Fazenda Lambari
- Finca El Limoncillo

Both very mild and light coffees, which is good, I don't like a real strong coffee taste (yes I put sugar in my coffee :p)

Next up the experiment, replace sugar with syrup.

I have a feeling this will make me really fat, and it's pretty expensive aswell. So, to make sure I can feel good about myself, is it possible to stir skimmed milk to form a foam like one would put on his cappucino? :p

is it possible to stir skimmed milk to form a foam like one would put on his cappucino? :p
Hmm yeah, so to answer my own question; No.

:p

It all looked fine till the moment I stuck it in the microwave to boil it.

Hmm yeah, so I bought a coffee press today, along with some special coffee grinded to the correct size for use in a coffee press. All i can say is; WOW!

Tastes SO much better than the coffee our Philips Senseo produces. Sure, it's all nice and easy, but i'd rather put some slight effort into making a fantastic coffee than drink the sewerwater called Senso.

Two coffee flavours I bought;
- Fazenda Lambari
- Finca El Limoncillo

Both very mild and light coffees, which is good, I don't like a real strong coffee taste (yes I put sugar in my coffee :p)

Next up the experiment, replace sugar with syrup.

I have a feeling this will make me really fat, and it's pretty expensive aswell. So, to make sure I can feel good about myself, is it possible to stir skimmed milk to form a foam like one would put on his cappucino? :p

Sugar in coffee is bad enough. Syrup? Thats just taking it too far :p

Senseo is seriously hindered by the ABYSMAL quality of coffee in the standard pads. Once you use pads that have proper coffee in them, you have some reasonable good coffee. Of course, there's ways to get coffee that is much better, but i wouldn't call it sewerwater anymore (which holds absolutely true for the normal Senseo pads, BAH!)

Senseo is seriously hindered by the ABYSMAL quality of coffee in the standard pads. Once you use pads that have proper coffee in them, you have some reasonable good coffee. Of course, there's ways to get coffee that is much better, but i wouldn't call it sewerwater anymore (which holds absolutely true for the normal Senseo pads, BAH!)

btw : Senseo has espresso pads. they're little slices of heaven

Sugar in coffee is bad enough. Syrup? Thats just taking it too far :p
What can I say, I love Starbucks. :p

Hmm, perhaps I should try them. The foam on the standard ones gives a very, very, VERY nasty aftertaste. It doesn't go away until I drink something else. That was the first, and biggest improvement for me to using a coffeepress, so it immediately tasted much better. :mrgreen:

On another note, I'm not so sure if my ratios are correct for the coffeepress though, it smells so much more like coffee (the grinded beans) than it tastes like coffee. Perhaps I should try 3 spoons.

What do you guys think about nespresso ?

In the single serve coffee forums Senseo is almost universilly derided, but nespresso has a grudging respect.

I have one and I must admit I prefer most blends to almost any coffee I order in a cafe or restaurant around where I live (Barcelona).

Waking up on a weekend and being able to make a decent cafe con leche is a lifesaver.

^ Sorry, don't now what a nespresso is...

But I thought this was pretty pathetic: A little while ago I was at my friend's house and she's like, "Hey, want some coffee?" So of course I agreed, but then she didn't know how to make it, so I had to help her. (Seriously? How hard is it??) Then she didn't know the flavours, there was like French Vanilla, Irish Cream, Hazelnut, and German Cake, non of which she had tried. Finally once we got it made (I think we settled on French Vanilla) she put like 5 spoonfuls of sugar and lots of milk. I tasted it and she had completely eliminated the coffee flavour! I take it with 1 or less spoonfuls of sugar and a small splash of milk.

I know we've discussed this before but I just had to have my little rant. Gah. I guess my love of coffee just makes me expect that everyone else loves it too.

What do you guys think about nespresso ?

Nespresso is pretty decent coffee, with a nice diversity in machines. The only downsides are that all machines can only do 1 cup at a time, and you can only order your (overly expensive) coffee online from the Nespresso web-shop.

Thats what put me off nespresso. The coffees and machine is very nicely design and can make a nice cup of coffee, but being restricted to only certain blends is quiet annoying.

I make a lot of Italian style coffee (espresso, caffe latte, cappucino, macchiato etc) at the restaurant where I work, but don't actually drink it myself. I haven't really acquired the taste for it, I prefer hot chocolate and tea, but I do love the smell. The fun part for me is pouring designs in my coffee, like so:

n685622796_681568_1322.jpg

2955654975_97686fa5ec.jpg

(I should add that the penguin latte was a complete fluke and I haven't been able to replicate it since, the bottom picture is my usual style).

^ That belongs in the awesome thread. :thumbsup:

So I seem to have suddenly and magically acquired a taste for black coffee. Before I couldn't stand even a sip without cream and sugar mixed in but now I love it plain. Strange.

How do you actually pour that pattern? I can't ever seem to get any pattern when I make a latte.

I think it's done with a spoon while you wait for it to cool down to a drinkable temperature.

Nah, it's all free pouring - the only bit I manipulated with a tool was the eye of the penguin, which I did with a toothpick. What you have to do, is first you have to have 'sexy milk', with the really nice dense smooth froth, no big bubbles. That takes practice using the steam wand on the machine, but if you watch a few youtube videos you can learn it pretty quickly (that's how I learnt it anyway, watching youtube videos). To make the design on the bottom, as you pour the milk in let it run down the side of the bowl so it starts to go round in a sort of swirl. Near the end of the pour, tilt the jug more so that the foam comes out, wiggling it gently side to side to create the wiggly pattern, then to create the 'leaves' as you finish you tilt the jug all the way up so just a very thin stream of milk is coming out, and you pull it through the pattern from top to bottom.

Actually, just look up 'latte art' on youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about. some of the designs they do are done with spoons and toothpicks and skewers and the like, but I only free pour my designs as it's faster.

edit: at risk of makin myself look like an amateur, here's a video showing how it's done: [YOUTUBE]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=X6EuEygqB08[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
f50.jpg

Beans in one hole, water in the other.

Press of button...

Better coffee than I make.

It can froth (has an adapator to either do it manually and control the process or just connect it up and let it instafroth for you (which is what I do)

:eek: now I want a Pengiun Latte! And I don't even like latte!

If anyone is a fan of Starbucks coffee.... I have their entire leaked recipe book in PDF form.

^Why does it need to be PDF?

1.) Make Coffee, the more bitter the more sophisticated.
2.) Sex up with Reddy-Whip and carmel out of a ketchup squirter
3.) That'll be three-fity.