Lens Flair

Ooh lala, lots of questions if I may...

How fast was the car going? How far away from the curve/car were you standing? What sort of shutter speed did you use? Did you use the 70-200mm? With VR?

EDIT: Last one, do you always compose this tight? Or do you crop a lot?

Thanks very much :) I try to learn all I can from you and Paddy ;)

Of course :)

Dont know the exact speed, I would guess at around 40mph-ish, probably less.
That photo was at 1/60th, so fairly high, but I was very close, about 10m from the car.

As for cropping, I tend to shoot a little wider than what I would want. So then I have a bit of freedom to play about with the shot in PS. That shot was actually as it came out of the camera though (except the processing of course ;)

EDIT: Lens used was my Sigma 100-300mm, I dont have the 70-200 :(

For example, the original was a bit wider than this, but then I cropped in a bit to create the exact shot I wanted :D
EDC_7549.jpg

Last edited:
Man you have some beautiful scenery in Iceland, and you sure know how to capture it! Great stuff.

Of course :)

Dont know the exact speed, I would guess at around 40mph-ish, probably less.
That photo was at 1/60th, so fairly high, but I was very close, about 10m from the car.

As for cropping, I tend to shoot a little wider than what I would want. So then I have a bit of freedom to play about with the shot in PS. That shot was actually as it came out of the camera though (except the processing of course ;)

EDIT: Lens used was my Sigma 100-300mm, I dont have the 70-200 :(

For example, the original was a bit wider than this, but then I cropped in a bit to create the exact shot I wanted :D
EDC_7549.jpg

Thanks a lot. One last question, when it comes to trackside panning, whats your hit-rate like?

Thanks a lot. One last question, when it comes to trackside panning, whats your hit-rate like?

lol that can depend on the weather, and even what mood im in! Id guess that anything lower than 1/60th is where my 'keepers' start to tumble. Anything above that is my safe zone, and I should keep most of the photos.
But anything above that can be boring lol. Lower shutter speeds ftw! :lol:

lol that can depend on the weather, and even what mood im in! Id guess that anything lower than 1/60th is where my 'keepers' start to tumble. Anything above that is my safe zone, and I should keep most of the photos.
But anything above that can be boring lol. Lower shutter speeds ftw! :lol:

Yep, I start at 1/80, then work my way down to 1/30 or 1/40. Unfortunately, without VR or a monopod, my 1/30 hit rate is something like 1/5.

I've made lots of keepers at 1/10s @ 14mm.

Buuut.. you do get less keepers that way. But it is possible.

Nice, but needs more DOF, in my mind. :)

What is focused, though, is supremely sharp! Very nice!

My first (rather pathetic) attempt at sort-of HDR:

https://pic.armedcats.net/e/ep/epp_b/2008/08/11/2008-08-10_moon_hdr.jpg

And, yes, I cheated. I admit it. I sharpened it in PhotoPaint :p