Post your Achievements - New Jobs, Academic......

in aus the minimum is 522.12/week which assuming a 40 hour work week is 13.05(12.42 usd)/hr

38 hours.

And the minimum wage is AUD14.31/hr coming into effect on October 8.

Last edited:
not here in the states it isn't

8/hr is minimum for my state...

in aus the minimum is 522.12/week which assuming a 40 hour work week is 13.05(12.42 usd)/hr

also worth mentioning that even the supermarkets pay more than minimum wage here so it's very much a base figure.

Woo, I got accepted to a Master Program in International Managment. 2 years of joyous studying. Hurra.

Woo, I got accepted to a Master Program in International Managment. 2 years of joyous studying. Hurra.

2 years for a master?? That's a bit long isn't it.:rolleyes: Unless it CEMS...:p Also getting accepted now is kind of late, since the program probably starts in Sep/Oct.

Anyway I overcame my laziness last week and registered for a 1-year Finance master and received an email that I was accepted within the same day.:cool:

I just got my first paycheck after I got a promotion to full time. $930 for 42 hours of work. Yesh!

Started Police Training-Traning today.. It's like a 15 week school course to get you prepared for the tryouts for the real police academy.. Lots of running and writing reports..

... Still waiting for my gun though..

+1

pink_sprinkled_donut.jpg

2 years for a master?? That's a bit long isn't it.:rolleyes: Unless it CEMS...:p Also getting accepted now is kind of late, since the program probably starts in Sep/Oct.

Anyway I overcame my laziness last week and registered for a 1-year Finance master and received an email that I was accepted within the same day.:cool:

Congrats.

2 years seems the only way to do it. This includes 2 semesters of classes, 1 international semester somewhere else, 12-weeks intership and 16-weeks master thesis. Packed enough.

So is it CEMS? That curriculum really sounds like it. Which university are you going to?

Yay, there's the second semester passed.... 8 more to go until I can declare "GERMAN ENGINEERING IN ZE HAUUUS JA!"

So is it CEMS? That curriculum really sounds like it. Which university are you going to?

The well known International School of Management in Dortmund.

It doesn't have a name like Maastricht, but their program seems really good, plus they can help me out later when I get a doctorate. I'm happy.

doing a masters degree in mechanical engineering from the get go has paid off it seems!

finished my 3rd year of studies (hardest year so far) on a 1st, and a friend of my mothers got me intouch with the engineering dept where she works at Aker Solutions (formerly Aker Kvearner)

1 casual interview later, they offered me a job on their grad scheme and offered to pay my uni fees for my final year at uni!

the grad scheme is 4 years and at the end i become a chartered engineer

starting salary is ?24k a year, rise every 6 months and then after 2 years ill be working mostly on projects for clients and its the clients who then pay me for the work so after 2 years ill be looking at well in excess of ?30k and ill only be 25.

and living in the cheapest part of the UK! though after 4 years ill be looking to move abroad. permanently.

not bad wages for the start of my engineering life. better oppertunities in other countries though, engineering really has been left to rot to an extent in this country. any one can call themselves an engineer and have plastered all over a white transit van, so it takes the professionalism and calibre off of the art of engineering. heck im sick of explaining that im not a flipping car mechanic in this place!!!!

"oooo mechanical engineering? so you can fix my car for me? mates rates?"

"errrrr no"

(that was the end of my conversation with the hair dresser lol, she thought i was a mechanic, because her dad is and he has engineer splashed on the side of his van)

Last edited:
doing a masters degree in mechanical engineering from the get go has paid off it seems!

finished my 3rd year of studies (hardest year so far) on a 1st, and a friend of my mothers got me intouch with the engineering dept where she works at Aker Solutions (formerly Aker Kvearner)

1 casual interview later, they offered me a job on their grad scheme and offered to pay my uni fees for my final year at uni!

the grad scheme is 4 years and at the end i become a chartered engineer

starting salary is ?24k a year, rise every 6 months and then after 2 years ill be working mostly on projects for clients and its the clients who then pay me for the work so after 2 years ill be looking at well in excess of ?30k and ill only be 25.

and living in the cheapest part of the UK! though after 4 years ill be looking to move abroad. permanently.

not bad wages for the start of my engineering life. better oppertunities in other countries though, engineering really has been left to rot to an extent in this country. any one can call themselves an engineer and have plastered all over a white transit van, so it takes the professionalism and calibre off of the art of engineering. heck im sick of explaining that im not a flipping car mechanic in this place!!!!

"errrrr no"

(that was the end of my conversation with the hair dresser lol, she thought i was a mechanic, because her dad is and he has engineer splashed on the side of his van)

Not bad! :thumbsup:

However, it does seem you're right about other countries having better opportunities.... I was talking to a dude who's currently finishing his master/Diplom, ie he's 4 years ahead of me, and he's got Job offers for 60k? / year.... pretty damn nice...

Actually... are those 24k before or after tax?

Reactions: Jon
Not bad! :thumbsup:

However, it does seem you're right about other countries having better opportunities.... I was talking to a dude who's currently finishing his master/Diplom, ie he's 4 years ahead of me, and he's got Job offers for 60k? / year.... pretty damn nice...

Actually... are those 24k before or after tax?

thats before tax, its above average for mech eng grads i think (just), and i do live in one of the cheaper places in the country so it'll go a lot further than say if i lived in london.

and yeah i was recently in germany, in Berlin for Rescue 2008, talking to a lovely german girl, 20year old, blond, swimmer, mechanical engineer and she was telling me that when they finish their degrees (masters or what ever) they can look forward to 40-60k euros.

not sure how true that is, but if it is.... blimey. thats like ?35-55k or something daft like that. though i think income tax is a lot higher on the continent. i know we complain about high taxes but in reality alot of places in europe get absolutely pummeled. though i think our boundaries need a little bit of shifting around.

she also told me that she will be respected by the public just as highly as say a doctor or surgeon would be, thats a far cry from here as i have explained before. to our public Mechanical engineer = that sally websters husband off of corronation street (he plays a mechanic) or at best.... one rung up from a grease monkey

so yeah, im jumping ship almost immediately after being made a chatered engineer... fuck this place, if they wanna keep me here then they'll cough up the ???, if not.... see you later!

Last edited:
Yay. I just got a job at the detailing place down at the auto mall. Not bad for a first job. I start monday.

"errrrr no"

I told a girl at my univeristy that I was in mechanical engineering and she says to me, "Why are you going to college to become a mechanic?" :?

^Was she hot?

I told a girl at my univeristy that I was in mechanical engineering and she says to me, "Why are you going to college to become a mechanic?" :?

oh you see on nights out.... we say we do sports science or some other BS degree because as soon as we tell them we're engineers we either get the mechanic line or they swiftly vacate the area.

so basically its... grease monkey or unbareable nerd....

our department features ZERO attractive girls, infact it can barely boast any females (in our year at least, we're in masters year now and the few girls that were around stopped at bachelors)

however, im happy to report that in germany i met two femal engineers who were drop dead gorgeous.