My kind of classic car owners!

THGL

Car(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) Limited
News from this year's Pebble Beach Concours.
The winners of the Best of Show drove their 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Touring Berlinetta all across the nation before beginning the restoration project... and now that they've won, they're going to drive the car around again!
link to article
http://img169.imageshack.**/img169/4313/38539886ue7.jpg

Cars were made for driving. Period. I know people buy up these old cars just for speculation purposes or to display them as "art", but these are machines that were made to RUN! It's nice to see owners that realize this and can enjoy a car like this.

Judges should give special clauses for people who actually drive their show cars around. Maybe that'll give people the motivation! :clap:

I enjoyed a TV show "Peking to Paris" (95s FTP, Upload) really much where they take original 100 year old cars on the rally from Peking to Paris to honour the 100th anniversary. Cars are made for driving, not for decoration or investment ffs!

I completely agree that cars are meant to be driven. It's a lot like what you get with WW2 planes: seeing them in a museum is one thing but it doesn't come anywhere close to seeing them flying.

It breaks my heart to see all these great cars snatched up by collectors and put on display never to be used again so I'm always happy to hear about someone who loves their classic.

For all the reliability issues Alfas seem to have all the owners i know seem to drive the hell out of their cars. I'm convinced that once you fix a number of issues that each Alfa has, they remain pretty happy motors.

Yay confetti!

I'd go drive my mustang right now, except I'd wake up the whole neighborhood.

I completely agree that cars are meant to be driven.

I feel the same way.

But I know I wouldn't have the balls to do it. Too many idiot drivers out there. I've heard way too many stories about people restoring cars and getting into stupid wrecks within days of completion. I'd be scared to death driving a near priceless classic on the streets.

I believe in the "Drive it like you stole it" mentality for the most part. I hate seeing another classic get bought by someone for well over 6 figures at times. And they will just be locked away and only see the light of day when they are loaded onto a trailer to be sold to someone else who will do the same thing.

A guy like Jay Leno is the expection to the rule. Not only do all (or atleast most) of his cars run, but he has no problem taking anyone of them out for a drive at the drop of a hat.

It's the same with a bottle of wine or whiksy. They were made to be driven/drunk, not to sit somewhere and collect dust.

yay confetti from me too! great to see there's some good people out there who don't care about resale value etc

Well I must say classics cars are built for driving and there is no point in letting them sit in barns as collections.

Practical Classics magazine keeps doing Top Gear style challenges like "Trabants from Africa to Germany and around the Ring" and "London taxi from England to Russia".

If I remember correctly one 1966 Volvo P1800 has done 2,219,751 miles, now thats a car put to good use.

I don't like seeing classics being bought cheap and thrashed into the ground by idiots though, the lack of 70s motors is mostly due to the cars being worth little money even in mint condition.

^ i agree with all the above,,, cars are meant to be driven,, yeah they are often nice to look at in a garage,,, but ya know.. they look better going down the road hehe... :wicked:

that's why i have put on almost 6,500 miles on my Fairlane since i got it running (well) in late April:mrgreen:

I'm surprised someone like haz hasn't come in here yet and started complaining "But what if they DESTROY them! It will be another priceless exotic gone forever. Oh Noez!"

I feel the same way.

But I know I wouldn't have the balls to do it. Too many idiot drivers out there. I've heard way too many stories about people restoring cars and getting into stupid wrecks within days of completion. I'd be scared to death driving a near priceless classic on the streets.

Not only would the car get destroyed, but they aren't exactly the safest things in the world.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4794575/detail.html

A guy was taking his wife and three kids out for a ride in his Duesenberg when another guy driving a Volvo ran a stop sign and hit them from the side. The Duesenberg rolled and all five people inside were ejected from the vehicle. The owner, his wife and his 8-year old son died while his 7-year old and 9-year old daughters survived. Of course the guy who hit them got away with a few scratches.

News from this year's Pebble Beach Concours.
The winners of the Best of Show drove their 1938 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B Touring Berlinetta all across the nation before beginning the restoration project... and now that they've won, they're going to drive the car around again!

Awesome. That Alfa looks like a touring car, and generally touring cars are meant to cross continents with ease...

Not only would the car get destroyed, but they aren't exactly the safest things in the world.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4794575/detail.html

A guy was taking his wife and three kids out for a ride in his Duesenberg when another guy driving a Volvo ran a stop sign and hit them from the side. The Duesenberg rolled and all five people inside were ejected from the vehicle. The owner, his wife and his 8-year old son died while his 7-year old and 9-year old daughters survived. Of course the guy who hit them got away with a few scratches.

Well Volvos are the hardest metal known to man.

Anyway, the good news is, there will be people who will see that wrecked Duse and spend whatever it takes to restore it again.

I agree that some of these vehicles are works of art... but they are functional art, so drive the MOTHERS!!!

There is a guy in my area who has a 1940s mercury as his daily driver. It's a stunning car, but he drives it rain/snow/sleet/sun. every day.

Amen to the OP, cars are to be driven. Not driving a classic is like watching a movie without sound, you miss a large part of the experience.