Your biggest Top Gear gripe?

Torques, maths, the internets, flappy-paddle-gearbox. The lingo sometimes annoys me. .

Maths is what we call it here in the UK (short for Mathematics doncha know!) The rest is just Clarkson acting dumb for comic effect.

The only major niggle I have about TG is that I have only been able to go to a filming twice when clearly I should be there every week :D

Sometimes i worry that some good footage gets left on the cutting room floor, but by that i suppose i mearly mean i wish it was longer :)

Jeremy is really fat nowadays. I remember in the news segment of (I think?) season 5, James pointed out that Jeremy had lost a lot of weight since the previous series, but he looks like he gained it back and then some. He really needs to get into some shape.

Jeremy is really fat nowadays. I remember in the news segment of (I think?) season 5, James pointed out that Jeremy had lost a lot of weight since the previous series, but he looks like he gained it back and then some. He really needs to get into some shape.

Pfft, he's hosting a CAR program, not some informercial for an ab exerciser.

If anything, I think he should become more unfit. Seeing him struggle up those stairs to the statue of Bhudda in the GTR vs Bulletrain challenge had me cracking up for hours.

Oh FFS...

Wow, I think my IQ dropped a few notches simply by opening this thread :?

Wow, whats wrong with a bit of critisism? Like many of you say, its just a TV show. So why do you get upset when someone doesnt think its flawless in every way? Having a couple of gripes about the show doesnt mean you hate it and should watch something else. Personally, I think Top Gear is one of the best shows ever, and I get all giddy when a new season is about to start.

However:

I wish they'd do more "normal" car reviews.

I'd like to see more of James May, though IIRC Willman said we would se more of him in the next season. (yay)

I wish they'd stop saying "torques".

I know the show is scripted, but sometimes its to obviously so. I'd like to keep my illusion that at least the contests are real, but that's become a bit hard lately.

Some of the segments has become a bit long in the tooth. Like SIARPC. Or racing a car against a mountainclimber/parkour'er(?)/whatever, cause its utterly pointless.

Still, cant wait until the next season. Best show on TV.

You know what. I completely agree.

On a related note. I find it really insulting that people say "if you dont like it dont watch it" And what I find particularly curious is the 95% of the people saying that are not British and therefore not actually paying for the show like UK residents are. I pay I get to decide if its shit or not :p

Its worth pointing out that recently 5G has made more effort in its show and tbh its now very close to the best that TG has been. If Wilman and crew dont up the shows content/style significantly they risk being overtaken.

Seriously speaking, I share the popular view about the way conent was largely "cocking about" in few last seasons (but it's getting better gradually!). Like someone on irc said (maybe it was teletubby, I forgot), I hate how everything has to be funny now.

And first episode of the series made exactly this impression on me, stupid challenge with clearly scripted and way too obvious gags. Do you even remember who won it? And do you care? :) They follow same pattern over and over again, JC taking the brute force approach with big hammers, Hammond doing something very stupid and tasteless, and James appears to be the only one trying to take things seriously, but ultimately fails.

Some of those "funny" moments remind me of a Chekov's gun: if there's a rifle on the stage, at some point it will be fired. If Hammond gets a tall and narrow van, it will be rolled in a corner.

Great post MXM!

Why can't we just get reviews where no one is trying to be a character??

People who criticize this show want it to improve.

There are many things wrong with TG........not enough car reviews, too much celeb chit chat, too many stupid challenges. Some of the camera work might look nice, but you don't see enough of the car. Too many people in the studio.......it looks like a mosh pit at times. I hate the canned laughter as it makes the show sound tacky and more like a naff US sticom. Also they could do with ditching all the sex related jokes. Leave it out please TG, this is meant to be a family show that a guy and his kids can sit down a watch on a Sunday evening. Besides that, those of us with brains don't need sex references every 30 seconds just to hold our attention.

another good post. :)

Last edited:
I'm watching Heaven and Hell and it's amazing to see again. I could watch stuff like this all day.

Drivers-Republic is pretty good too.

Last edited:
We all love the show, It's fantastic.. However, What do they do that annoys you the worst? Or what would you like to see less of?

For me?
By FAR it's the, quite frankly, terrible editing. They insist on flipping the image occasionally in order to re-use footage. However, When you do it to a CAR, Which has only 1 person in it, It doesn't bloody work does it!? I would much prefer a Top Gear that shows consistancy, As in a proper timeline of events.. Even if it makes the show look rougher, It will look 'realer'

Prime examples :
  • Little Japanese 4x4 Fox Hunting. The 'fox' splats up some mud onto the camera in the chase car. The 'splat' is clearly on the right of the screen until 10 seconds later when it's on the left.
  • Hammond in that massive anti-riot vehicle a few seasons back. You could see him (Or a stunt driver) inside it, On their own... Somehow changing seats while crashing through the 'production office'

Worth a mention : Get rid of the damn fade-to-shadow-at-edge filter. ESPECIALLY the one that has the fade start a good 5th of the way from the top of the screen. We know blue sky's exist, Stop hiding them!

Worth a mention : Get rid of the damn fade-to-shadow-at-edge filter. ESPECIALLY the one that has the fade start a good 5th of the way from the top of the screen. We know blue sky's exist, Stop hiding them!

Agree, shame to have everything in grey.

Reading through this thread again and tbh everything we are griping about are real monior things in most cases. We are a fussy bunch aren't we :lol:

My biggest gripe is the total lack of actual facts, if you're going to say something, make sure it's actually true. Clarkson is the one most guilty of this. Otherwise, great job.

You know what. I completely agree.

On a related note. I find it really insulting that people say "if you dont like it dont watch it" And what I find particularly curious is the 95% of the people saying that are not British and therefore not actually paying for the show like UK residents are. I pay I get to decide if its shit or not :p

Its worth pointing out that recently 5G has made more effort in its show and tbh its now very close to the best that TG has been. If Wilman and crew dont up the shows content/style significantly they risk being overtaken.
You paid your licence fee, you are entitled to say that - others have not so can **** ***.

/Edit/ BTW honest opinions, expressed honestly NEVER get a neg rep from me and if I did one I would always sign it. (Even if they have not paid the licence fee).

That they dont show what Clarkson found on the internets.

Also that some episodes arent longer they could do a lot with the challenges they could dedicate a whole show to those with nothing else like they did with the north pole special.

Another thing that bugs me is the quality, I want at least 720p. Part of the reason the polar special was so good is that I could clearly see things. Sersiously the BBC needs to update their cameras.