Motorcycle nuts, get on in here.

Jay

the fool on the hill
So the wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting a motorcycle. She was thinking of a moped, but I thought that was silly, since you cannot use them on Interstates, you look silly if you are A) not on a Vespa and B) over the age of 25, and you cannot realistically drive them for more than twenty miles.

A few points to consider:

-I am 5' 7", she is 5' 5". I only weigh 125 pounds. Wet.

-We do not want some crotch rocket or cafe racers, just a basic upright bike.

-Used and under five years is fine. Nothing older.

-Something under 500cc's.

-Something under $5000.

What do you all think would be a good bike?

I wish I could help, but since I have NO knowledge of the bikes available to you or even their prices, I can't give you any advice.
But I can praise you for thinking about it! :)

Honda Shadow VLX (583cc). - a bit larger than you want, but not by much.

Long production run
Available in a variety of engine sizes
Manageable power delivery
Shaft drive for low maintenance
Comfortable for passenger and rider (especially with an added "sissy bar" and an aftermarket seat - I recommend Mustang)
It's a Honda and will run forever.

Don't get so caught up with engine size, it's power that you should be looking at. Some smaller engines are tuned to deliver more power than other, larger engines. Twins will be different than inline 4s which are different than V4s. Cruiser motors, like the one in the Shadow, have a very different power delivery than the 600cc motors in sport bikes like the CBR.

What you probably want as a first bike is a linear power curve. Some engines produce nothing until they hit 4,000 or 5,000 RPM and then it explodes with force. I like my 750 V4 because it has such manageable power delivery. If you are both wanting to ride together, I doubt a 500cc will be good enough for you. I have ridden pillion (2-up) on a 500 but the bike was at the limit of what the motor could do. You really need to have a power reserve to run away from danger.

See if you can find a late-model Magna. They were made until 2003, while they are a 750cc motor, the power delivery is very forgiving, especially in the low end. Also, you won't get bored with it quickly. Its a very capable motorcycle and has a devoted following.

Also, if you have not learned to ride yet, take the MSF course and start out by buying a cheap old bike that already has cosmetic damage. Use it to get the feel of riding for a few months and then sell it to another beginner.

What kind of riding do you want to do? Long distance cruising? Sport-touring rides (2-lane blacktop, plenty of sweeping turns)? Around down "putting?"

Also, price out what gear you want to buy. The gear is something everyone forgets, but it is vital! A good helmet, a heavy jacket with shoulder and elbow armor, a back protector, armored gloves that cover the wrist, knee armor and abrasion-resistant pants (leather or textile) and riding boots. Check out http://www.newenough.com

If I were you I'd get an older Suzuki GS500. That is the bike I learned to ride on. They are cheap and they are very well behaved. Get it used so if you end up dropping it won't as big a deal. It's not a crotch rocket but not a cruiser either.
2001 Model but newer ones are under $5K.
gs500k1_blue.jpg

Last edited:
Another possibility is the Nighthawk.

I'm actually thinking about getting one, That would be awesome.

I didn't think you could get a brand new bike for 3600 bucks

I'm actually thinking about getting one, That would be awesome.

I didn't think you could get a brand new bike for 3600 bucks

You can get them for even less. The 2007 Kawasaki Ninja 250R had an MSRP of 2,999. They bumped it up to 3,499 for 08.

Well, you better not do what I did and drive 1000 miles to buy a rickety 30-year old jalopy, then spend a year and a half taking it apart in your parents' garage. :lol:

If I were you I'd get an older Suzuki GS500. That is the bike I learned to ride on. They are cheap and they are very well behaved. Get it used so if you end up dropping it won't as big a deal. It's not a crotch rocket but not a cruiser either.
2001 Model but newer ones are under $5K.
gs500k1_blue.jpg

That's one I'm considering, it's gotten pretty good reviews for its ease of operation among new riders.

The key to choosing a beginner bike is: unlike a car, eventually you're going to want to ditch the bike for something bigger. Doesn't matter if you get a 250 or a 500, it's why Harleys and liter bikes are so popular. So when you're choosing a beginner bike it's best to pick one that you're either going to replace with a bigger, shinier ride...or is well-balanced enough (like the GS) to keep for a longer amount of time as a 2nd or 3rd bike, depending on your financial situation.

Another great bike: the Kawasaki Ninja 250.

Ninja_250R_1.jpg

I'm also considering one of these as well (and ripping off the fairing for a streetfighter). About $1-3000 depending on year, mileage, # of times dropped, etc. They've been built since the beginning of time (or 1996, technically). It looks like a douchebaggy crotch rocket but actually has a standard seating position. 250 might not seem like much but it's plenty for even freeway riding, and once you're done with it you can pass it off to another newbie as some sort of initiation. :D

I made a entire list of motorcycles with weights and power and everything, but i pressed back and lost it, so what i'm going to do is list some names so you can atleast have a hand in finding crap, all of these bikes have around 44-55hp and their all fairly light.

Suzuki GS 500 (and F)
2001-Suzuki-GS500E.jpg

Honda CB400/500
HondaCB400SuperFourHyperVtec.jpg

Buell Blast
20741_0_1_2_blast_Image%20credits%20-%20Buell.jpg

Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2005-Kawasaki-Vulcan500LTD-small.jpg

Triumph Scrambler (800cc or something but not that only 50 something hp)
24409_0_1_2_scrambler_Image%20credits%20-%20Triumph.jpg

Yamaha "Virago" VX 535
TCvirago535.jpg

^Probably my favorite sounding of them all, but only based off of youtube, with modified pipes etc etc etc.

Out of all those i've only heard ever heard 2nd hand about the Buell Blast, but the from that it sounded like a whole lotta fun.

Skip the Buell, they have major design problems - like the engine overheating and boiling the fuel in the lines which results in vapor lock.

The Ninja has consistently been reviewed as the best beginner bike for the money, in fact, my girl friend is going to be looking at one very soon. She just needs to pass her MSF course first.

There are lots of used Ducati Monsters out there, they run about 70 hp for the smaller ones.

I havent posted about it yet, but I picked up a 2006 Suzuki Katana 600 earlier this month. Plenty of room for a passenger, decent power. Seems a bit heavy but my comparison being my old Ninja 500 from a few years ago is hard to compare.

I will say that when I bought my Ninja 500R I did so because it seemed to be the best sport bike for beginners. Low maintenance, design hasn't changed since Adam and Eve rolled out of the Garden on it. It was a great bike.

*watches thread with interest*

I'm actually thinking about the same sort of thing, mostly for the wife.

We have 2 cars now, and it's getting quite expensive with all the fuel costs. We're unsure on what to get, but we want something we can both ride (bear in mind, I'm a shade under 6' and she's just 5'), something thats not too quick (since i'll probably kill myself at the first corner) and something that's reliable and economical

thing is, I dunno yet if/when we will be doing this, but it's nice to have some info upfront nonetheless.

:ninja:

So the wife and I are kicking around the idea of getting a motorcycle. She was thinking of a moped, but I thought that was silly, since you cannot use them on Interstates, you look silly if you are A) not on a Vespa and B) over the age of 25, and you cannot realistically drive them for more than twenty miles.

i agree on the 50cc thingies, but i went on vacation to spain this year, and there, everyone is driving around on one of these

598087714_15dd1aa9f4.jpg

those thing pack some punch! i've seen one doing powerslides :blink:
and they look soooo comfy

if i were living in a crouwded city, i'ld get one of those
(and a supermotard to play with :p)

For what it is, that thing does look pretty sweet. :ph34r:

if thats a Suzuki Burgman, it isn't a motorcycle, it's an enlarged scooter.

My dad had one of those, the 400cc model, and while it rode allright, I can't get used to the driving position... it feels like you're on the toilet all the time :p

^that's a yamaha i posted, but most brands now have those in their line-up

Honda makes one called the SilverWing too. I think its outside your price range though unless you find a used one.