Viper to live on independent of Chrysler

argatoga

Can't Start His Wank
Car(s)
'08 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Probably for the best seeing as Chrysler won't be around for too much longer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/27/report-chrysler-may-sell-the-dodge-viper-rather-than-kill-it/

The Dodge Viper has been Chrysler's halo car since it was introduced back in 1992, but times are tough. Faced with the fact that it might not be able to continue making the brutish sports car, the Auburn Hills-based automaker is reportedly considering doing something that's never been done before by a domestic automaker (as for as we know): selling the Viper's future to a third party. Automotive News quotes Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli saying, "We have been approached by third parties who are interested in exploring future possibilities for Viper." Nardelli claims that whatever happens, his company will work to make sure the best interests of Viper fanboys are served and that Chrysler would continue to offer "operational and financial" support for the car if a transaction takes place. We're honestly a little stunned that Chrysler would consider such a drastic action, though if it means the Viper won't be sacrificed at the altar of economic woes, we're all for it. On the other hand, how does one separate Dodge from the Viper? Can you imagine Ford selling the Mustang to ROUSH or GM selling the Corvette to Lingenfelter? Chrysler has not identified any of the Viper's suitors, so rather than a familiar tuning house, it could also be a conglomerate of investors or another automaker. Is a Viper sold by another brand still a Viper?

Yea the Lotus 7 / Westfield / Caterham 7 of America.

These cars are still going, upgraded but still available and very similar to their designers concept - well done Chrysler, keeps the legend of the Viper alive.

Sell them to Renault and make them pass them on to Dacia, so that we could boast that we have a sportscar built in our country! (just joking)

But it's fine by me if the Viper is continued, AS LONG AS its new owners keep it good and make a new GT1 racing version of it.

I didn't expect this, but I guess as long as it doesn't stay exactly the same I'm all for it.

Well maybe FinalGear can buy it. I mean it is a Chrysler product, surly it has devalued significantly by now. I'm sure Viper007Bond can pick up the brand and factory for $25 and a carton of cigarettes.

The Viper is such an important car for the U.S. Without it, the Corvette is the only real American Sports car since the Mustang, Camaro, and Challanger are pony cars, and the Ford GT was a Supercar.

With all the news now about gas prices and emissions. It isn't impossible to develop the V10 into something much more efficient. Just look at Porsche's GT2 vs 911 Turbo. The GT2 makes more power but is a greener car. Dodge should take a hint from Chevy as the Z06 LS7 is the best pushrod powerplant in the world. High power and incredibly efficient.

Anyways. Here is my thought on the possible sale to a third party. It has to be a strong company like Roush, Saleen, Penske, or P&M. Someone that can develop that car to be a modern performer and make it profitable. I see this the same way i see brands like Lotus where even though they are owned by a foreign mark, they stay true to Colin Chapman's ideals. Viper could work the same way. Because if im honest, i never really saw Chrysler due as well with the Viper as it could have done. Just look at the racing front. It took a French chassis designer to see the Viper was a winner and never needed or cared for factory money to win at the highest level.

Some other possibilities. Would a company like Zakspeed be able to take on such a task?

Sometime today, Alex (Viper007Bond) suddenly awakened, with a strange elated and happy feeling, and the urge to dance....

Sometime today, Alex (Viper007Bond) suddenly awakened, with a strange elated and happy feeling, and the urge to dance....

Are you suggesting he doesn't wake up elated and dancing every day?

Are you suggesting he doesn't wake up elated and dancing every day?
I do, but then I remember I have to come deal with you guys. :eek:

Read part of the topic and thought "wrong section":
"Viper to live on independent of Parents".