Dear, sweet jesus. 1995 BMW E34 530i..

Very nice find, but what will become of the Nissan?

Explain to me how 'less cylinders = less fuel consumption' for the same displacement?

More cyl = more weight.

Why? From what i understand he's saying the same displacment from less cylinders should be the same weight.

You're still removing the same material from the block.

All they take away would be spark plugs, spark plug wires, injectors, fuel lines, and a differantly shaped intake manifold.

Less cylinders = less friction because of less moving parts?

Guys, he was (for some reason) comparing the motor in the E34 to one in the E39 - of course the later motor is going to be better on fuel consumption, layout has nothing to do with it.

Explain to me how 'less cylinders = less fuel consumption' for the same displacement?

Let's take a little example... the 3.5 liter era in F1 engines. Engine builders went mainly for 3 configurations: V8, V10 and V12. The V8s were the most economical, the V12s the most powerful, but the V8s had problems with vibrations in a certain rev range and the V12s were extremely thirsty, the V10 becoming the preferred choice and the best compromise between fuel consumption and a wide power band.

BTW, (to the OP) very nice car indeed.

Very nice find, but what will become of the Nissan?

As I said, demoted to hack duties, mainly because my family needs a car to go to the Dog Park. I've got two Siberian Huskies - one who's a very good girl and sits in the front, and one cheeky bastard of a male who won't stop moving around. But even if the male was perfect in the car.. too much fur. I'd be always cleaning it! <_<

Thanks to everyone else for the.. envy ;)

Oh, and compared to the 3.4L M30 I6, the M60 3.0L V8, produces a tiny bit more power with a little less torque but consumes about the same. So all things considered, they're about the same.

But of course the newer E39 535i consumes less. That's sort of a given..

I love the E34 Bimmers and your's is in immaculate condition. Its a good job that you bought one with the proper 3.0L straight six. A proper BMW in my opinion. However, I heard that runner a BMW isn't cheap. Servicing costs are something to think about whenever your buying cars like these.

I love the E34 Bimmers and your's is in immaculate condition. Its a good job that you bought one with the proper 3.0L straight six. A proper BMW in my opinion. However, I heard that runner a BMW isn't cheap. Servicing costs are something to think about whenever your buying cars like these.

If you would have read the thread you'd had known that he got the 3.0l v8 and not the i6 :)

im very curious about this engine.... 3.0l V8... does it rev quite high?

sounds like it could be a potent little package, and a smooth one at that.

im very curious about this engine.... 3.0l V8... does it rev quite high?

sounds like it could be a potent little package, and a smooth one at that.

It red lines at 7000rpm (or 6500rpm), extremely smooth. It's 0-60mph/100km in about 8 seconds, not slow by any means.

You know what would top off that cars nice looks? Some Euro style plates. I know Sydney and Melbourne offer them....dunno about Adelaide but.

And I bet it sounds superb while doing it too :D

Imagine a E39 M5 :D It's brutal and beautiful at the same time. Coming from the Bluebird, I didn't really know how loud it is.. I dropped my friend off early in the morning, it was very loud from what I hear. Not that I could hear it, being that it's so nice and quiet inside! :mrgreen:

I think I'll do a little video, so everyone can hear the aural pleasures.

@A.Fonz :lol:

:lol:

:lmao:

Haha.

@SL65 indeed! I love those, I hope they introduce them here sometime soon!

This must be one fantastic upgrade over the Bluebird. I like the styling of the older BMWs this one included, great find and happy motoring.

I approve of this car. E-cookie from me.

Then again, giving the intense love you seemed to have for the Bluebird, I thought you'd never switch cars

well what you got more from a V8 instead of I6 is more refinement.. oh and the V8 sounds you always hear in movies (or the fake ones from fifth gear lol)
also bragging rights?
e34 + superb cond. + facelift(widegrille) + leather + powerful engine is just perfect
only e34 m5 3.8 is better lol

well what you got more from a V8 instead of I6 is more refinement.. oh and the V8 sounds you always hear in movies (or the fake ones from fifth gear lol)
also bragging rights?
e34 + superb cond. + facelift(widegrille) + leather + powerful engine is just perfect
only e34 m5 3.8 is better lol

Well, the 540 does have better grunt (the same torque figures as the 3.8 M5, 400NM) ;)
Also, didn't the 540 come with the wide kidneys even before the 94 facelift?

Last edited:
all 530 and 540 V8s come with facelift.
the facelift is late 94 or so.