Chrome: Google's Open Source Browser!

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
After using Internet Explorer 7 for the first time a few days ago (I havent bothered with IE for the last few years), I'm sad to report that it still isn't anywhere near as refined or smart as Opera for Firefox. Hopefully the increased competition from Google will allow Microsoft to improve on their product. I curious as to how Chrome will compare to the currrent internet browsers.

After using Internet Explorer 7 for the first time a few days ago (I havent bothered with IE for the last few years), I'm sad to report that it still isn't anywhere near as refined or smart as Opera for Firefox. Hopefully the increased competition from Google will allow Microsoft to improve on their product. I curious as to how Chrome will compare to the currrent internet browsers.

I don't have any real issue with ie7 when I have to use it at uni

I don't have any real issue with ie7 when I have to use it at uni

Oh I got issue with it alright....
1) Nonexistant 3rd party support (in fact I think there is no way to make add-ons for it)
2) No live search, why the hell do I have to wait till I type the whole word in for it to start searching???? (I think there might be an option for it but it's not default)
3) The annoying ass "Welcome to tabbed browsing" everytime you open a new tab. IT'S BEEN 10 FRIGGING YEARS SINCE TABS WERE FIRST INTRODUCED!!!! GAH!!!
4) It takes XP with it if it crashes.

Oh I got issue with it alright....
1) Nonexistant 3rd party support (in fact I think there is no way to make add-ons for it)
2) No live search, why the hell do I have to wait till I type the whole word in for it to start searching???? (I think there might be an option for it but it's not default)
3) The annoying ass "Welcome to tabbed browsing" everytime you open a new tab. IT'S BEEN 10 FRIGGING YEARS SINCE TABS WERE FIRST INTRODUCED!!!! GAH!!!
4) It takes XP with it if it crashes.

1) um what, IE has supported addons for yonks.
2) I find that annoying anyway so it doesn't bother me
3) It's the default tab screen who cares
4) good thing i run vista then D:

It's not my browser of choice but it's not really that bad imo, IE6 was terriable (as was 5) 4 was decent compared to netscape...

If you read the "comic" it's quite an interesting way that they appear to have gone about designing it, hopefully there isn't too much memory overhead (which the comic kind of indicates it there will be http://blogoscoped.com/google-chrome/5)

Last edited:
My biggest problem with IE7 was that I didn't find it particularly easy or intuitive to use.

Before version 7, I always used Internet Explorer because I was used to it and fond it quite a bit faster than Firefox. But then the current one came out and I hated it so much that I finally switched to Firefox. Now I don't think I want to live without my apps.

But I am open to new browsers, as I use and prefer the Safari browser for Mac when I'm on my laptop. So I guess if this new one from Google is good I might end up switching... love the Google toolbar features in Firefox, so this should be good.

Well, there goes Firefox's market share. All the computer savvy people that use it will switch over to Chrome and that'll be it for it.

TBH, after using firefox while IE6 was around, I switched back to IE7 and I've been using it since. For me it's the easiest no bullshit browser. I had a look at Safari and wasn't happy, so I'll have a look at Chrome too but it'll have to be bloody good to win me off IE7.

On the MS side the IE8 beta is looking very good! It seems like the pressure from Firefox et. al. has finally gotten Microsoft to get off their lazy bums and put some people to work on the browser again... Much the same way competition from Netscape helped make IE5 among the best browsers for its time.

On the MS side the IE8 beta is looking very good! It seems like the pressure from Firefox et. al. has finally gotten Microsoft to get off their lazy bums and put some people to work on the browser again... Much the same way competition from Netscape helped make IE5 among the best browsers for its time.

That is one thing i think people forget...

Just how crap netscape was

I bet the incognito tab will be very useful to some people around here.....

I find it interesting they are using Webkit instead of Gecko. I guess all that Apple PR was right and it is a faster renderer. If this becomes popular it is a win for Safari users and the one guy using konqueror for web surfing.

GOOGLE IS TAKING OVER THE WORLD!!

I wonder how it'll be. I'm a heavy Firefox supporter and I think that Google will take away people from the FF-camp in stead of the MS camp...people that are already convinced that IE is not the best browser.

I might move over to this from IE7 if it's any good. FF has always been a complete faliure for me on the numerous occasions I've given it another chance.

I use portable Firefox on my flash drive, but I still use IE7 on my PC.
This is great news though and I can't wait to download it in a few hours.

Having read the comic, my mind is changed. I like the sound of a lot of their ideas & approaches to problems - look forward to seeing what the final product is like.

I find it interesting they are using Webkit instead of Gecko. I guess all that Apple PR was right and it is a faster renderer. If this becomes popular it is a win for Safari users and the one guy using konqueror for web surfing.

I haven't tried Safari on Windows and I don't plan to, but on Mac it genuinely does feel faster than Firefox.

Now, I never figured out if this was because it was a better browser, or because it was just natively built into the OS (which I think is ironically a strong point of IE 5/6).

I think it'll kill computers like mine with 512MB of RAM, with tons of processes running around. (I already have 87 in idle, so I don't need more :< )