James May: James May's Big Ideas

Really looking forward to that, and the new Oz and James series later in the year. Will hopefully go someway towards compensating for the lack of Slow in Series 11 of TG.

When I read the article I was floored. James talking about the future...I thought he was permanently stuck in the past.;) The show should be good and it will go a long ways towards filling the gap until the Trio return in late October. I must say, I am surprised to see TopGear.com doing so much promotion for the presenters' other jobs. That sort of thing is normally shunned, especially when there is money to be made.

When I read the article I was floored. James talking about the future...I thought he was permanently stuck in the past.;) The show should be good and it will go a long ways towards filling the gap until the Trio return in late October. I must say, I am surprised to see TopGear.com doing so much promotion for the presenters' other jobs. That sort of thing is normally shunned, especially when there is money to be made.

Maybe he's just tired of the stereotype?

Maybe he's just tired of the stereotype?

Yeah, I thought about that too. The problem is, it seems that James plays to his stereotype. Like Clarkson, he has this image that has been created on Top Gear and he can't seem to change it so he takes it over the top in a not too serious way. I quite like the way he blends horrible shirts, a penchant for history and an aura of intellectualism with an overdramatised lack of direction. It is very absentminded professor meets garage inventor. And, in my opinion, it makes James the presenter I would most like to have a drink and a chat with.

I'm very much looking forard to both this and James and Oz's next series together. I'm a big fan of James' style of presentation and he portrays the bumbling idiot image at times to his advantage. I also admire his ability to put his point across and to he does seem like a very knowledgable bloke as well.

I'm going to be watching the TV listings like a hawk. And threads such as this one. Because there's no way I'm missing out on this series, or Oz & James Part III.

it seems that James plays to his stereotype. Like Clarkson, he has this image that has been created on Top Gear and he can't seem to change it so he takes it over the top in a not too serious way. I quite like the way he blends horrible shirts, a penchant for history and an aura of intellectualism with an overdramatised lack of direction. It is very absentminded professor meets garage inventor. And, in my opinion, it makes James the presenter I would most like to have a drink and a chat with.
Sounds almost like me. Except I don't wear horrific shirts. So, if anyone is still wondering why I voted for Captain Slow on the "Top TG presenters" poll...

He should go on a Celebrity Scrapheap Challenge.

Filming for this series must have been great, just look at these
pictures :cool:

February, 24-26, 2008. The 1st channel of BBC shooting of WIG-craft "Aquaglide" in Nizhniy Novgorod region at production and text complex of JSC ?ATTK?. The BBC?s team which included the creators of popular program about high speed vehicles ? TOP GEAR, has chosen the winter period for shooting to be convinced that ?Aquaglide-5? ? WIG-craft is actually all season high speed transport mean.Well known presenter ? James May after short term - half an hour training has piloted the vehicle by himself demonstrating of high professionalism.
As a whole, well organized and high skilled work of all BBC?s filming team as well as well right choice of topic aimed to in-side show of high-tech innovations explains why this channel has won more then 400 billions of audiences.

They mention it's for TopGear, but that somehow I don't think it is. Like 400 billions of audiences is overdoing it a bit as well. :D

Last edited:
It's almost on! Sunday September 28th at 9.00 pm on BBC2!

Just like the first series, this one is being funded by the Open University as well.

Last edited:
Some more specific information about the first episode from the BBC Website.

James May's Big Ideas
Sun 28 Sep, 9:00 pm - 10:00 pm 60mins

In the first of this new series James May travels the globe in search of his ultimate flying machine.

He begins by heading into the frozen wastes of Russia to pilot one of the best kept secrets of the Cold War, then heads to the US to fly the world's only surviving flying car. In Japan he watches a man struggle with his tiny chopper, before returning to the suburban gardens of Sussex where James turns himself into a human rocket - all in pursuit of finding a better way to get from A to B. Finally, in California, James encounters his ultimate dream - a flying car capable of vertical take off, and one so simple that anyone can pilot it, but is the world ready for a flying car? [AD,S]

Subtitles Stereo Widescreen

:) really looking forward to it. I really do think adding "fun" or even a little bit of eccentricity to any subjects helps people understand and take in more information :)

For those of you in the UK check out the new Radio Times for next week - James looking all Sean Connery on the cover with a jet-pack to launch the show.....(calm down ladies ;) ) and an interview inside.

Forementioned promotion picture that will be on the cover of the Radio Times this week. :cool:

mainImage.jpg

Last edited:
James and his Aerocar. Beat that Clarkson. :cool:

mainImage.jpg

mainImage.jpg

mainImage.jpg

James going for a trial run in the rocket-belt. :D

mainImage.jpg

mainImage.jpg

mainImage.jpg