Chrome: Google's Open Source Browser!

...and there I'm back with FF3. Chrome is great, but it's a bit early to swap it with FF3 as main browser.

Looks very good, but I need to wait for the Linux version.

Been trying out Chrome for a few hours now, looks really neat and it's really fast. But remember people, it's just a beta so don't be too quick to judge it or compare it to FF/IE/Opera as it is.

And no, I'm not a fanboy. I'm actually worried that I'm tempted to switch from Firefox to Chrome once it's finished :p (or maybe even sooner)

Been trying out Chrome for a few hours now, looks really neat and it's really fast. But remember people, it's just a beta so don't be too quick to judge it or compare it to FF/IE/Opera as it is.

And no, I'm not a fanboy. I'm actually worried that I'm tempted to switch from Firefox to Chrome once it's finished :p (or maybe even sooner)

Gmail has been in beta for about 4 years (and of course Gmail rocks, not sure why they're still calling it beta). I wonder how long they'll keep the beta tag on this.....

I'm using it and its great! I didn't think I could like a browser more than Firefox but this is just significantly more quicker to start up and then when your browsing.

Top stuff :thumbsup:

I find it interesting they are using Webkit instead of Gecko. I guess all that Apple PR was right and it is a faster renderer. If this becomes popular it is a win for Safari users and the one guy using konqueror for web surfing.

That's a bummer. Safari can be a real pain from a web design/developer perspective :(

Its very nice I have to say, but it still isn't as smooth as I would like it to be, the loading is quite choppy and it seems slower than firefox

Found something new, drag the tab box out side the bar and you get a new window for the tabbed page :p
Will keep using Firefox though.

Opera is still better, much better.

Had a bit of a play with it at work today:

:thumbsup: to:
- Speed (I'm surprised how noticeable the speed difference is)
- Appearance
- Ability to drag tabs to new windows & relocate seperate windows to existing windows as tabs
- Create applications from webpages

:thumbsdown: to:
- Cookie handling - I have FF set to discard all cookies except for specific sites, no way to do this in Chrome
- Proxy handling - I'm used to FF having it's own settings
- Ads, ads, ads - Amazing how much you miss with FF & AdblockPlus

But it is just the Beta, so I expect all of that stuff to be sorted in the final version. Overall I was really impressed by it.

Opera is still better, much better.

I agree, though I do like Chrome.

Its middle click behaviour seems a bit hit and miss, I've been middle clicking some links and they're opening in background tabs AND in the current tab, which is strange, and it doesn't happen all the time. I can't seem to find anywhere to alter middle click behaviour either.

And my god, ads! It's amazing how you browse so long without ads and they all come flooding back, they're doing my head in!

Like someone also suggested, I miss the gestures too, I don't use them that much on Opera, but sometimes they just come in handy!

The speed of Chrome is pretty impressive though, and I like the minimal interface, the browsing space looks massive! I'm not sure about the minimal options though, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of customisability!

Using it now, WOW IS IT QUICK!!

It didn't import my favourites from IE though, so i have to add them all manually, other than that, seems to be nice. Might stick with it for a while and see what it's like.

I agree, though I do like Chrome.

Its middle click behaviour seems a bit hit and miss, I've been middle clicking some links and they're opening in background tabs AND in the current tab, which is strange, and it doesn't happen all the time. I can't seem to find anywhere to alter middle click behaviour either.

And my god, ads! It's amazing how you browse so long without ads and they all come flooding back, they're doing my head in!

Like someone also suggested, I miss the gestures too, I don't use them that much on Opera, but sometimes they just come in handy!

The speed of Chrome is pretty impressive though, and I like the minimal interface, the browsing space looks massive! I'm not sure about the minimal options though, there doesn't appear to be a great deal of customisability!

yeah, the main thing is the mouse gesture command, I can not surf the net without it.

other than that, I think the google browser is quite decent

It didn't import my favourites from IE though, so i have to add them all manually, other than that, seems to be nice. Might stick with it for a while and see what it's like.

I had the same problem with Firefox bookmarks, the import during install didn't get my bookmarks even though it said everything finished ok, but after installing I did the import again through the settings menu and it worked fine. Dunno what went wrong the first time.

edit: Oh crap, I'm going back to Firefox, ASAP -> http://tapthehive.com/discuss/This_Post_Not_Made_In_Chrome_Google_s_EULA_Sucks

That's some fucked up shit right there.

Last edited:
It's just having what all scratch build software first has, it lacks refinement. So don't make your judgements just yet.

now i am using it for about an hour i must say that it indeed is fast, it feels faster than FF.
Not surprising as there's like nothing to the browser. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, but of course a lighter browser is gonna run faster.

I tried it and I like it (especially compared to IE for example), but I like Firefox a lot more. Can't live without my extensions.