How do you cure insomnia?

i ussualy drink lipton's quiet night tea, usually nocks me out, but doesn't help when having severe insomnia, try some horse tranquilizers or better still ask your local medic on what sleeping pills to get, and try for fucks sake to get relaxed, ride a bike, go on an early morning walk this sort of stuff life isn't worth living stressed, that's hard.

or try this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binaural_beats maybe it'll work, it kinda' makes you a bit more relaxed but still don't know how healthy it is

Thanks a lot for your advice guys. I actually had 3 beers yesterday along with dinner :p. That sort of helped make me feel lethargic and lazy but not really sleep inducing.

I do need to go exercise. Not only for health reasons but also for the insomnia. I'll definitely start walking and running long distances within the next few days and progress on for the rest of the year.

Let's see what happens.

Don't go to your bed until you're tired or ready to sleep. Don't read, watch TV, or do any other activity while in bed. This will train your body and mind to understand that the bed means sleep. This has helped me tremendously. Also sitting in front of a computer screen at the wee hours of the night does not help. The light messes with your circadian rhythm. No caffeinated drinks either (to state the obvious).

Also sitting in front of a computer screen at the wee hours of the night does not help. The light messes with your circadian rhythm.

Very, very true. There are times when I've been quite sleepy, then I'll get on the PC late at night and not go to bed till hours later.

I'm like the opposite. If you give me 15 mins anytime of day I could fall asleep but I guess that is some kind of problem too.

Don't go to your bed until you're tired or ready to sleep. Don't read, watch TV, or do any other activity while in bed. This will train your body and mind to understand that the bed means sleep. This has helped me tremendously. Also sitting in front of a computer screen at the wee hours of the night does not help. The light messes with your circadian rhythm. No caffeinated drinks either (to state the obvious).

Except that I can fall asleep browsing digg while drinking a can of soda... :sleeping:

Something that helps me is setting up a routine at the end of the day. For me it was dinner, catching up on work/video games for a half hour or so, brush teeth, get in bed. Also try not to do anything too thought-provoking (future, relationships, the day ahead, etc) right before going to sleep. Although it can get hard when you're schedule changes from day to day.

I think that's one thing that I've neglected. I tend to just bonk out right in front of the computer and then dive right into bed.

Although I must say I am incredibly tired when I do somersault into bed. But then once I get in its the same story. Think about serious stuff or just unable to sleep.

I'll try reading a book or something instead of being at the computer right before I hit the sack. Maybe that'll help as well. Thanks for the advice.

I'm in the same boat on a regular basis, and again tonight. Just went to bed tired, but now I'm back up :(

try to find a good rhythm. Go to sleep at regular hours, get up at regular hours (quite soon, 7:30-8:00). Some physical excercise is a very good idea too. Alcohol and cannabis might help to get you to sleep too, although the quality of the sleep is worse.

Smoke/Drink yourself into a coma, the best cure for insomnia.

I sleep like a baby every night.

Yeah, but your stupid as shit now! :p

Really, the best way is to make sure you find something relaxing to do before you go to sleep. Watch TV, read a book, something that won't keep your brain stimulated. That's my main problem when going to sleep, I just get into bed but can't stop thinking and can't fall asleep. Big pain in the ass.

It's funny, I get scared when I get less than 8 hours of sleep. But that said, I'm a bit young in comparison to you guys, therefore I should get some proper god damn sleep!

I think the best way to cure insomnia is several hours of sweaty sex - what follows is the sleep of legends.
:lol: I was going to say the same thing.

But if you don't have a girlfriend, then exercise is your best shot. Just running a few miles might not help much, if you're already in decent shape. You want something like swimming or a martial art. A full body work out that, like lots of sex, leaves you exhausted and sore in strange places :lmao:.

Here are my recommendations
- Find a regular rhytm (unlike CyberMonkey, for me it doesn't matter whether I'm getting up early or late as long as it's regular)
- Form regular routines before you get to bed
- Find activities that get your mind off the stress. I've found that games work well for me, an hour of Team Fortress 2 is great stress relief but...
- ... avoid intense activities before going to sleep. For me being on the computer in itself is not a problem but for example playing Team Fortress 2 or racing sims can cause problems. I'd expect the same to go for TV or anything else, if you read a really immersive horror book it won't help. I've recently read 'World's worst cars', actually :D
- Exercising should help as well by getting your mind off things and spending some excess energy, but as above doing something physically intense just before going to sleep can cause problems
- Avoid caffeine in the evenings (a single cup after about 5pm can cause problems for me but I can drink a lot in the morning and early afternoon).
- Finally, avoid big meals right before going to sleep. Small evening snack shouldn't be a problem if you are hungry, but stuffing yourself full won't help.

Of course, people differ and what works for someone else might not work for you. For me the rhytm is crucial, if I normally wake up at eight I'll wake up at around eight with or without alarm clock, regardless of what time I went to sleep. My friend, on the other hand, can sleep pretty much when he wants and for how long he wants, and for him the times do not matter.

CyberMonkey said:
not terrified over here, just happy that I'll live longer than you do

Sorry mate, but nope :p

Belgian life expectancy at birth for males: 75.59 years
Australian life expectancy at birth for males: 78.7 years.

I'll send you the flowers :cool:

Sources: Wikipedia (Belgium), and Australian Institute of Health and Wellness

- Avoid caffeine in the evenings (a single cup after about 5pm can cause problems for me but I can drink a lot in the morning and early afternoon).
- Finally, avoid big meals right before going to sleep. Small evening snack shouldn't be a problem if you are hungry, but stuffing yourself full won't help.

Very true. Even some glasses of coca cola in the evening can keep me awake for a while.

A full body work out that, like lots of sex, leaves you exhausted and sore in strange places :lmao:.
wat? :blink:

Sorry mate, but nope :p

Belgian life expectancy at birth for males: 75.59 years
Australian life expectancy at birth for males: 78.7 years.

I'll send you the flowers :cool:

Sources: Wikipedia (Belgium), and Australian Institute of Health and Wellness

90% of statistics are made up.