Upgrading my cpu

Lambos r4ever

Car(s)
Honda Prelude
Hey guys, I want to upgrade my cpu from core D to an E6x00/E4x00 core 2 duo (I want to play 1080p video). I have this Socket 775 motherboard: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00864946&lc=en&cc=us
My desktop - http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&docname=c00389438&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
I have 2 questions:
1. Do I need to add anything else (power supply, etc.) in addition to installing the CPU?
2. Also what cpu (E6x00/E4x00) would you recommend I buy in order to play 1080p smoothly.
Thank you!

I'd actually recommend something in the E8X00 range. It's more efficient than the 6X00 and should have a bit more performance, and most are actually cheaper at this point. The 4X00s are being phased out, but you might find one for cheap.

Hardware-wise you should be OK with a direct swap. Just be aware you may need to update the BIOS on your motherboard to support the newer processors.

So my mobo supports the E8x00 range as well? The description says it only supports the following processors:
Core 2 Duo E6x00
Core 2 Duo E4x00
Pentium D 9x0 Dual Core
Pentium D 8xx Dual Core
Pentium 4 6x1 series
Celeron D 3xx series
Is the description page old?

Your current motherboard is fine for the C2D. In terms of power, the C2D actually uses less than the Pentium D. Get an E7xxx chip if they're sold in your area, those are the new 45nm ones and are the best value, as well.

Only thing I'd recommend is, upgrading from whatever cooler HP gave you. Stock coolers are usually pretty weedy. The included cooler you get with the chip is acceptable, if a bit noisy.

You'll need to reset your BIOS when you install the new CPU. Simple process on a pre-built, no real settings to worry about.

Edit: We are looking specifically at 800 or 1066 FSB chips, those are what we know works from the manufacturer specifications.

It depends if the mobo can support the newer 45nm chips. My old mobo didnt support the newer 45nm C2Ds, so no Wolfdale. Either you need a bios that supports it, or just get a different mobo. You'd be much better off getting a proper mobo from Gigabyte or Asus etc. You can easily find a good deal on Ebay or newegg. I bought a Gigabyte GA-P35-D3SL rev2 off ebay (new) for $67 because its a very popular mobo and excellent on overclocking.

both E6 and E4 are phasing out from the market.

Try and go for an E7 or E8 series, you won't regret it.