Post Your Watches

I'm gonna have to be brutally honest MadCow, I didn't know LV made watches and yours definitely doesn't look anywhere near as good as the price would suggest.

I would try and sell it if someone wants to buy it from you, then we can help you get something else. :mrgreen:

^ If by case you mean the glass, they can probably fix a lot of the scratches for you, but if by case you actually mean the case, there isn't much that can be done.

:D

The case can actually be fixed rather easily, if it's a brushed finish, the jeweler can just brush it again. If it's gold, platinum, etc, the jeweler can polish and work it until the scratch is gone.

I'm gonna have to be brutally honest MadCow, I didn't know LV made watches and yours definitely doesn't look anywhere near as good as the price would suggest.

I would try and sell it if someone wants to buy it from you, then we can help you get something else. :mrgreen:

Don't take the looks as an indicator for prices. A Rolex Submariner looks like any standard watch you can buy for 400?. But if you then realize that Rolex builds and developes 99,9% of the parts in that watch you notice that a price of 4000+ ? is ok.
A Price of almost 5.000$ for a watch that was build by some swiss manufacturer (unknown) for like 800? is not ok... Stamp LV on the dial and request 5.000$ for it, russians will buy it ;)

The case can actually be fixed rather easily, if it's a brushed finish, the jeweler can just brush it again. If it's gold, platinum, etc, the jeweler can polish and work it until the scratch is gone.

Really? I had no clue. I know they can shave down the crystal if you manage to scratch it, but I guess I never needed to have a case replaced. I know that they polish my watches whenever I have them services and that takes care of a lot of shallow scratched, but I figured Blake was talking about major damage.

Don't take the looks as an indicator for prices. A Rolex Submariner looks like any standard watch you can buy for 400?. But if you then realize that Rolex builds and developes 99,9% of the parts in that watch you notice that a price of 4000+ ? is ok.

This makes very little sense... and thanks, but I don't need to be schooled in watches. I've had enough nice ones and grown up around enough watches and clocks (my dad is a big collector) to know what nice watches look like.

Last edited:
This makes very little sense... and thanks, but I don't need to be schooled in watches. I've had enough nice ones and grown up around enough watches and clocks (my dad is a big collector) to know what nice watches look like.

Whoa there big fella. That watch is the Bristol car of watches: most car people don't know or don't care about them, but their provenance and care to detail is obviously there, even if it doesn't look like it. Likewise with that Rolex.

I didn't mean to be antagonistic, I just don't understand his argument. There are a lot of reputable watch brands that don't make all or any of their movements and complications.

To me, a Rolex Submariner does not look like a ?400 unit. Judging by how much it weighs, how the case and crystal shine, how the case fits together, how the second hand sweeps instead of ticking... those are all signs that a Submariner, which looks like a Seiko, is actually a special watch.

You put my arguments down in a nice and arrogant way there.

The weight of the watch?
And well... just try the Marcello C. Nettung 3 watch, which looks exactly the same as a sub... try the jacques lemans, try the steinhart, try whatever you like. There are tons of companies that fake the sub with excellent quality. Some Rolex owners even bought the Nettuno 3 strap to fit it to their Rolex, because it was better than the original.
Just because your dad has some watches doesn't mean you have any clue at all... it's like driving your dad's car. If you judge a watch by how much it weighs, how the case looks etc... you could as well buy some chinese fake watch. Look at the movement and you know the deal.

I for myself like manufacture watches the best. Breitling for example is no manufacture, but they make excellent watches.
But here's something for you, that explains why I don't like it as much as Jaeger-LeCoultre, Rolex, PP, AP etc... :

Breitling just buy ETA-Movements, fiddle around with them a bit.. and then put them in their watches. The straps , which Breitling sell, are actually manufactured at "Kaufmann". I bought a Kaufmann leather strap for 180? at my jeweler's. Breitling sells exactly the same strap for 360?.
In the modern Navitimer they have turned the totalisators 90 degrees, so it looks nicer. This means that every function of the watch (chronograph etc..) has to take a "detour". This makes it very easy to break.

So... I like manufactures best, because they build their stuff exactly for that one purpose. They don't just buy things and twist and turn them.
Gotta pay almost 9.000? for that JLC Memovox ? Worth it. Pay 5.100? for a Navitimer World ? Not so sure...

Last edited:
You have the audacity to call me arrogant when you criticize someone for recieving the wrong brand of watch as a gift? No, I'd never buy, wear or condone that LV watch but as a fan of wristwatches, and regardless of your opinion I am, I understand for most people watches are not that big of a deal. If a rich relative gives them an expensive piece, then all the better.

And yeah, I drive my dad's car when he lets me, and I enjoy the heck out of it because it's very fast. Now what does that have to do with my dad liking clocks and me learning a thing or two off him? You go open up the back of watches and carefully examine the movements to see if they're fake or what.

What exactly do you not understand when I say "I think...." ?
I did not criticize HIM, I critizided the watch itself.

What did you learn from your dad then ? "Look at a watch, my little boy.. If you like it, I'm gonna give it to you".

Can you even tell the difference between this watch:
1.jpg

and this :
2004-08-16.1092687079.jpg

Just by looking at it ? They look exactly the same (except that it is a Sub No Date), weigh exactly the same (can't believe you really mean that :D ) and shine the same. Just that one of them costs 400? and the other 4.000?.

You know what? I don't even select my watches a 100% how they appear to me. I select my watches due to exclusiveness and appeal to collectors. Seen that Memovox before on some dude's arm ?
This is not about having the most bling watch on my arm because I'm some 17 year old bloke who wants to show everybody his dad's wealth...
This is about collecting, worshipping and so on. Do you kid even understand that ?

Can you even tell the difference between this watch:
1.jpg

and this :
2004-08-16.1092687079.jpg

Just by looking at it ? They look exactly the same (except that it is a Sub No Date), weigh exactly the same (can't believe you really mean that :D ) and shine the same. Just that one of them costs 400? and the other 4.000?.
And they're both ugly.

You have the audacity to call me arrogant when you criticize someone for recieving the wrong brand of watch as a gift? No, I'd never buy, wear or condone that LV watch but as a fan of wristwatches, and regardless of your opinion I am, I understand for most people watches are not that big of a deal. If a rich relative gives them an expensive piece, then all the better.

And yeah, I drive my dad's car when he lets me, and I enjoy the heck out of it because it's very fast. Now what does that have to do with my dad liking clocks and me learning a thing or two off him? You go open up the back of watches and carefully examine the movements to see if they're fake or what.
He wasn't the one who told Madcow to sell the watch he got as a gift so that you could advice him to get something else, was it?

who the hell spends 4k? on a watch? :? :? :? you could get something really really nice for that amount of money instead, and not pay through the nose for "exclusivity"

I guess i'm just silly with my mass produced crappy Festina Watch that probably cost 1/20th of an "exclusive" one?

You know what? I don't even select my watches a 100% how they appear to me. I select my watches due to exclusiveness and appeal to collectors. Seen that Memovox before on some dude's arm ?
This is not about having the most bling watch on my arm because I'm some 17 year old bloke who wants to show everybody his dad's wealth...
This is about collecting, worshipping and so on. Do you kid even understand that ?

Now you're just trying to insult me... so expect a neg rep shortly. Feel free to hit me back, I have enough rep to spare.

For you, watches might be about collecting, worshipping and so on... your problem is you fail to see people might be watch enthusiasts on a smaller scale or don't even care about watches.

And what does this have to do with wealth? I'm not a 17 year old kid that is after bling... if I was, I would have bought 2 Rolexes for the same price I paid for my Breguet, which is a brand nobody who has asked me what watch I wear has even heard of. Now you tell me who is the poser in this situation.

What do you need to prove? That you know more than me about watches? No argument there. Just don't read too much into what people post on the internet... I never, ever brought up the issue of wealth or anything like that. I say my dad likes watches, and you go on this whole tangent about me being some kid who relies on his dad's supposed wealth to feel good and get people to like him.

P.S. Yes, I can tell the difference between the two you posted. One of them isn't even a Rolex. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Now you're just trying to insult me... so expect a neg rep shortly. Feel free to hit me back, I have enough rep to spare.

For you, watches might be about collecting, worshipping and so on... your problem is you fail to see people might be watch enthusiasts on a smaller scale or don't even care about watches.

And what does this have to do with wealth? I'm not a 17 year old kid that is after bling... if I was, I would have bought 2 Rolexes for the same price I paid for my Breguet, which is a brand nobody who has asked me what watch I wear has even heard of. Now you tell me who is the poser in this situation.

What do you need to prove? That you know more than me about watches? No argument there. Just don't read too much into what people post on the internet... I never, ever brought up the issue of wealth or anything like that. I say my dad likes watches, and you go on this whole tangent about me being some kid who relies on his dad's supposed wealth to feel good and get people to like him.

P.S. Yes, I can tell the difference between the two you posted. One of them isn't even a Rolex. :rolleyes:

This isn't the streets, kid ;) So I don't even care about any rep at all :D I've posted 33 answers in over two years here... do you think I care ? ;)

And actually... I was guessing the 17 years, didn't even know you're really 17 since I'm not here too often (as proved..). It's just that I noticed you can't be very experienced. I just brought the 17-year old spoiled kid with bling bling watches up to show the exact contrast of my collecting behaviour. Couldn't know it would fit so well :D

If you feel you have to bring up such a series of very very serious arguments against yourself being a spoiled prat... well, guess what... ;)

Last edited:
Didn't know that my present was gonna cause such a hectic debate in this thread : p

Anyway, I know the watch is over priced, but it was given to me as a present, and the pic can't speak for the watch itself, it looks really good in metal. I'm quite happy with it.

and Steka, nobody asked for your 2cent comments, the watch was given to me as a present. You wanna brag about your collection and criticise about ppl's taste, go do it somewhere else. I don't give a flying fuck about what you think of my watch or my taste.

Got that??

Nah, I've already made my mind up. My next watch will definetely be a F1 watch from Tag : )

Last edited:
Didn't know that my present was gonna cause such a hectic debate in this thread : p

Anyway, I know the watch is over priced, but it was given to me as a present, and the pic can't speak for the watch itself, it looks really good in metal. I'm quite happy with it.

and Steka, nobody asked for your 2cent comments, the watch was given to me as a present. You wanna brag about your collection and criticise about ppl's taste, go do it somewhere else. I don't give a flying fuck about what you think of my watch or my taste.

Got that??

Nah, I've already made my mind up. My next watch will definetely be a F1 watch from Tag : )

Calm down.

I did not criticise you for receiving that watch as a present. All I did was to tell that from a collector's point of view a LV watch isn't the one I would buy. Other guys told you that it is not a beautiful watch, I only relied on the technical side... so what's the matter !?

If you're happy with the watch it's fine. Not even my girlfriend likes every single of the watches I have.

Also I did not brag with anything. This thread is called "Post your watches", which I did. I showed some watches and gave reasons why I bought them... again, from a collector's point of view.
Nobody complains when pics of cars are requested and somebody has two or three cars and shows them, so what's your point there ?

It's just that I noticed you can't be very experienced.

Oh, so whenever you see someone who has less expertise than you in an area, you proceed to rip them apart for everything they say?

I put up well thought out arguments because first of all, I wanted to show you I'm not some punk, spoiled brat. Second of all, because I know you're just trying to get a rise out of me and don't actually have any decent rebuttals aside from name calling.

Everything you have said here so far has been with a bad attitude... you don't care about rep or your post count? So what, those of us who have lots of rep and posts somehow fail at life?

I'm done arguing because there has not been anything to argue since we got started. This thread got along fine for near 20 pages before you barged in and yes, as I said before, tried to school us in your mighty knowledge of watches.

This thread was simply for posting your pieces. If you'd like to have a passionate discussion about watches then please start your own thread.

How come you can get away with calling the LV ugly, and even butt-ugly when steka, who seems to know a thing or two about watches says it's not that good from a collectors point of view, gets pointed out as the arch devil? I'll give you that he has a bit of an attitude, but there are worse on this forum.
Also
So what, those of us who have lots of rep and posts somehow fail at life?
Where the hell did you get that from? Seems like a straw man argument there.

Oh, so whenever you see someone who has less expertise than you in an area, you proceed to rip them apart for everything they say?

I put up well thought out arguments because first of all, I wanted to show you I'm not some punk, spoiled brat. Second of all, because I know you're just trying to get a rise out of me and don't actually have any decent rebuttals aside from name calling.

Everything you have said here so far has been with a bad attitude... you don't care about rep or your post count? So what, those of us who have lots of rep and posts somehow fail at life?

I'm done arguing because there has not been anything to argue since we got started. This thread got along fine for near 20 pages before you barged in and yes, as I said before, tried to school us in your mighty knowledge of watches.

This thread was simply for posting your pieces. If you'd like to have a passionate discussion about watches then please start your own thread.

I was in this thread like 10 pages ago already. No arguments there.

It was only until I said that you shouldn't only reagard the looks (weight, case etc..) of a watch to tell whether it is a good one or a bad one.
This wasn't even meant to criticize you... I didn't know whethere you have any experience with watches or not. I react allergic on phrases with an arrogant tone like "this makes very little sense... I don't need to be schooled in watches".

You put that down saying it wouldn't make any sense and that you don't need to be schooled in watches because your daddy owns some ;)

Sorry, but you just relate the things I told you to the whole posters here and say I want to school everyone.

I collect watches. I don't just buy them because I think they look nice.
This is something completely different from what "normal" people do with watches.
They just buy a watch that they like, some also buy the name. For some people it is a dream to own a Breitling, Rolex or whatever. They don't even need to know anything about the watch or the brand, they just want to own it.
I select my watches by how exclusive they are. The rarer the better. On this point of view I said that a LV watch isn't the one I would buy.

Everyone here can accept that point of view. Everyone... except for you. And you're making an argument out of it and try to point me out as an idiot (the rep thing is a perfect example...).
Where did I tell that people with lots of posts fail at life ? Where the f... did you get that from ?

It's extremely clever to pretend I affronted the people here by saying that I think that everyone with a big post account is a loser and then quit the argument.

And also I want you to notice that english is not my mother language (german is..). So not everything I write was meant to be in the attitude you read out of it. It's just that I don't know how to express it better. So some of the things may be a bit... "direct" ;)

Last edited: