Weird 360 VGA Problem ...

Paddy

Car(s)
'06 BMW 320 M Sport
I watch a lot of TV shows on a USB drive through my 360 which is connected to a Toshiba 32 LCD using the VGA lead.

On occassion, I get no video, just audio and a sign in the top left corner daying [PC-VGA] but when I swap the leads over to the component HD leads the AVI's playback perfectly ?? Does anyone know why ??

Before anyone points out to just use the component HD leads, only the VGA lead upscales my regular DVD's and I find the in game graphics are much smoother with the VGA !

Maybe the VGA cable isn't connect properly and after you switch them, you put it back properly? If you don't/can't screw in the VGA cable, it may become lose.

I'm a bit confused on where you found a DSUB (VGA) lead in the 360. Are you using an HDMI to DVI to DSUB adapter? If that's the case that could be the problem. Normal DSUB should have no problem displaying any resolution the 360 is capable off.

Microsoft as well as a few accessory manufacturers make VGA cables for the 360. Have you tried dropping the resolution on the Xbox yet?

Last edited:
Microsoft as well as a few accessory manufacturers make VGA cables for the 360. Have you tried dropping the resolution on the Xbox yet?

Unless the 360 uses a special connector, that's a waste of money. All cables are basically created equal.

Apparently some people experience poor images when using vga cables from other brands, but not sure myself since I've always used the Microsoft vga cables.

Last edited:
Unless the 360 uses a special connector, that's a waste of money. All cables are basically created equal.

I would have to disagree there. When it comes to analog transmission cable quality does make a difference since there is alot of noise that can distort the signal. With digital cables there is no difference whatsoever, the signal either makes it there or it doesn't.

I would have to disagree there. When it comes to analog transmission cable quality does make a difference since there is alot of noise that can distort the signal.

This is true, and it's why recording studios for instance spend a lot of money on high quality cables, as opposed to just saving money and using cheap stuff.

Which is why I said "basically". Obviously a $5 cable isn't gonna be as good as a $100 cable, but all decent cables are created equal.

It's the proper 360 VGA lead from MS. It's not a codec problem if it plays through Component, I've turned down the resolution down a notch and had no luck but I'll try dropping it off all together to see what happens ...

I think I may have a solution :

When trying to play 25 or 50 fps content, I don?t get any video over VGA

This only affects consoles which output PAL-50 and PAL-60 output modes. There is a known issue in which 25 or 50 fps video sometimes doesn?t display over a VGA connection if you have previously connected your Xbox over component video output.

The workaround for this issue is as follows:

1. Connect your Xbox 360 to a display device using a component video cable

2. Go to the System Blade

3. Go to Console Settings

4. Go to Display

5. Set your display settings to a different resolution than is currently selected (e.g., set it to 480p if your current setting is 720p)

6. You should see a slider with the words ?Your display settings have changed. You can keep this setting or try another. Do you want to keep the new settings? If you keep the new settings, your TV will be tested to see if it also supports this setting at 50Hz.? Answer ?Yes, keep these settings? to this prompt.

7. After this your display will be tested for 50Hz output

8. You should see a slider with the words ?Now displaying at 50Hz. Does this display appear correctly?? Answer ?No? to this prompt even if the display is correct. Again, make sure to answer ?No? to this prompt.

9. Connect your Xbox up via VGA again. The videos should now play correctly.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx

I think I may have a solution :

When trying to play 25 or 50 fps content, I don?t get any video over VGA

This only affects consoles which output PAL-50 and PAL-60 output modes. There is a known issue in which 25 or 50 fps video sometimes doesn?t display over a VGA connection if you have previously connected your Xbox over component video output.

The workaround for this issue is as follows:

1. Connect your Xbox 360 to a display device using a component video cable

2. Go to the System Blade

3. Go to Console Settings

4. Go to Display

5. Set your display settings to a different resolution than is currently selected (e.g., set it to 480p if your current setting is 720p)

6. You should see a slider with the words ?Your display settings have changed. You can keep this setting or try another. Do you want to keep the new settings? If you keep the new settings, your TV will be tested to see if it also supports this setting at 50Hz.? Answer ?Yes, keep these settings? to this prompt.

7. After this your display will be tested for 50Hz output

8. You should see a slider with the words ?Now displaying at 50Hz. Does this display appear correctly?? Answer ?No? to this prompt even if the display is correct. Again, make sure to answer ?No? to this prompt.

9. Connect your Xbox up via VGA again. The videos should now play correctly.

http://blogs.msdn.com/xboxteam/archive/2007/11/30/december-2007-video-playback-faq.aspx

You Sir, are quite simply a f*cking hero ! I'm forever indebted to you !!!

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow::bow: