Anyone have an FK2 (euro) Civic 1.8? quick Q

otispunkmeyer

Car(s)
'03 Skoda Superb (farewell :(), '06 Honda Civic ES
after having been to the honda dealership and had a sit in the Type S i've pretty much fallen completely in love with that car and am now set on getting one.

even though the seat makes you feel like your sat too high, even in its lowest position, i dont really care. i should really ask for a test drive but not got the time at the moment.

would like to know though.... in 6th, what RPM is the engine at for around 70-80mph range

and whats the cabin noise like at motorway speeds... (wind/road/engine noise)

cheers!

after having been to the honda dealership and had a sit in the Type S i've pretty much fallen completely in love with that car and am now set on getting one.

even though the seat makes you feel like your sat too high, even in its lowest position, i dont really care. i should really ask for a test drive but not got the time at the moment.

would like to know though.... in 6th, what RPM is the engine at for around 70-80mph range

and whats the cabin noise like at motorway speeds... (wind/road/engine noise)

cheers!

My brother has a type-r, loud loud and more loud. We don't have any places to legally do 80mph but i would hazard a guess at around the 3500rpm to 4000rpm mark (though the type-r does have different gearing I think)

My brother has a type-r, loud loud and more loud. We don't have any places to legally do 80mph but i would hazard a guess at around the 3500rpm to 4000rpm mark (though the type-r does have different gearing I think)

yeah i would guess the R is pretty unrefined.... solid low profile tyres with rock hard suspension and a 9000rpm gem under the hood.

im hoping the S is softer lol

gearing wise im really not sure.... the R has around what? 2000rpm on the S and its figures go...

Type S - 0 to 60 in 8.9sec top speed 127
Type R - 0 to 60 in 6.6sec and tops out at 146

its only 20mph different in top speed and with more revs on offer it probably does 60 in first gear (the S requires a change to 2nd just before hand)

so i reckon they got the same gear box.

i looked on youtube and i think.... at around 120km/h which is what 75mph? it was doing 3000rpm (pretty much standard fair for petrol cars) only thing is with crummy tube quality you cant really get a good idea of cabin noise.

i really do like the current civic a lot, but i know my second choice the citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6 diesel has a lesser but similarly funky interior and i know that car is quiet on the motorway cruise because ive been in one (albiet a petrol one but the diesel will be quieter at the M-way if anything)

Last edited:
My friend has one (Civic Type S). All i can tell you is that the ride is quite "sporty". Not as refined as the Focus or the Golf for example. As for the revs i can't tell you much cause he has an automatic and it never occured to him to see. :p
The interior is awesome imo, techy and very well made. The exterior is "love it or hate it" (i love it) and the engine is torquey and the power delivery is very linear. All in all a very good car. But i can't be objective. That's just my opinion.

P.S. Australia doesn't have a road where you can legally do 80? Sad people... :D

My friend has one (Civic Type S). All i can tell you is that the ride is quite "sporty". Not as refined as the Focus or the Golf for example. As for the revs i can't tell you much cause he has an automatic and it never occured to him to see. :p
The interior is awesome imo, techy and very well made. The exterior is "love it or hate it" (i love it) and the engine is torquey and the power delivery is very linear. All in all a very good car. But i can't be objective. That's just my opinion.

P.S. Australia doesn't have a road where you can legally do 80? Sad people... :D

yeah but the country is so vast....surely theres not much risk of being caught by the five-oh on one of the more remote roads?

he has the automatic? is that the i-shift thing? how well does that work may i ask? i assume is a robo-clutch manual, and probably is exactly the same ratio wise as the standard 6 speed.

i love the exterior, and when i sat inside... i wanted, baddly

The auto is quite smooth, slow but smooth.It also has the semi-automatic option with buttons on the steering wheel but it doesn't improve the feeling or the speed. About the ratios i can't help you and tbh i wouldn't go for it (apart from the dual-clutch autos nothing else attracts me). But for daily traffic is very good.

i wasnt thinkin about the auto at all to be honest.... just looking at the 0-60 says to me its either a lousy robo-clutch or a normal automatic with some overrides. 6 spd manual for me please.

i would like to try the diesel i think, but at the mo the prices for those are roughly ?1000 more than the petrols and i worked out it would take 6 years at the current prices (UK) to make that back (taking into account tax and insurance too)

im glad you report that the engine is torquey, being a NA honda vtec i was a bit worried that itd be a bit gutless. also i like linear response..... i know diesels serve up a wallop of torque, but its essentially that...a wallop and its all over much too soon, same with some little turbo engines. (which im suprised to find out that alot of these small displacement turbo units seem to be in very high tax bands!!! the 1.8 civics only in D but the 1.4 t-jet punto is in F!! and its got less HP...but more torque)

i wasnt thinkin about the auto at all to be honest.... just looking at the 0-60 says to me its either a lousy robo-clutch or a normal automatic with some overrides. 6 spd manual for me please.

i would like to try the diesel i think, but at the mo the prices for those are roughly ?1000 more than the petrols and i worked out it would take 6 years at the current prices (UK) to make that back (taking into account tax and insurance too)

im glad you report that the engine is torquey, being a NA honda vtec i was a bit worried that itd be a bit gutless. also i like linear response..... i know diesels serve up a wallop of torque, but its essentially that...a wallop and its all over much too soon, same with some little turbo engines. (which im suprised to find out that alot of these small displacement turbo units seem to be in very high tax bands!!! the 1.8 civics only in D but the 1.4 t-jet punto is in F!! and its got less HP...but more torque)

The honda 6spd box is fantastic (honda manuals have always been) it was a deal breaker for me when I bought my car that it had to be a manual :D

The interior is very well put together asides from a somewhat retarded glove box which is deep and narrow and not that tall.

yeah gear box is a biggie for me when i buy.... i wont go near a renault no matter how much i like the car, most of their gearbox's ive tried feel like your stirring a pot of honey rather than changing gear...horrible.

im hoping the citroen c4's isnt the same (coz i wanna try that car too) but i have my doubts.

yeah gear box is a biggie for me when i buy.... i wont go near a renault no matter how much i like the car, most of their gearbox's ive tried feel like your stirring a pot of honey rather than changing gear...horrible.

im hoping the citroen c4's isnt the same (coz i wanna try that car too) but i have my doubts.

also worth mentioning that the ipod adapator is a little on the crappy side, it just acts like a cd changer (doesn't even do track names - the radio on the other hand does do RDS)

yeah i would guess the R is pretty unrefined.... solid low profile tyres with rock hard suspension and a 9000rpm gem under the hood.

im hoping the S is softer lol

gearing wise im really not sure.... the R has around what? 2000rpm on the S and its figures go...

Type S - 0 to 60 in 8.9sec top speed 127
Type R - 0 to 60 in 6.6sec and tops out at 146

its only 20mph different in top speed and with more revs on offer it probably does 60 in first gear (the S requires a change to 2nd just before hand)

so i reckon they got the same gear box.

i looked on youtube and i think.... at around 120km/h which is what 75mph? it was doing 3000rpm (pretty much standard fair for petrol cars) only thing is with crummy tube quality you cant really get a good idea of cabin noise.

i really do like the current civic a lot, but i know my second choice the citroen C4 VTR+ 1.6 diesel has a lesser but similarly funky interior and i know that car is quiet on the motorway cruise because ive been in one (albiet a petrol one but the diesel will be quieter at the M-way if anything)

Type-R's ordinarily have very different gearboxes than lower models, and I'm fairly certain that the "Type-S" (a model we don't have here in the United States) is powered by the R18 SOHC 1.8, which is a completely different engine family than the K20 powering the Type-R. If I'm right, then the gearboxes are certainly different, however, Honda's manuals are usually geared for 35-38 mph in first, 65 or so in 2nd, and roughly 90 mph in third.

Last edited:
Type-R's ordinarily have very different gearboxes than lower models, and I'm fairly certain that the "Type-S" (a model we don't have here in the United States) is powered by the R18 DOHC 1.8, which is a completely different engine family than the K20 powering the Type-R. If I'm right, then the gearboxes are certainly different, however, Honda's manuals are usually geared for 35-38 mph in first, 65 or so in 2nd, and roughly 90 mph in third.

Yeah looking at the wiki you could be right

It was a blind guess, I don't know much about the Euro-market Civic offerings, but the only 1.8L motor that I know of that Honda sells right now is the R18...it was the replacement for the venerable D-series motors.

You're right...it is a SOHC...thanks for the correction :blush:

according to channel 4's driven team, the petrol makes quite a din at motorways speeds, tho they were cruising at 85mph...ill have to see how bareable it is, else ill be stumping up for the diesel.