What mobile phone?

Sprint isn't GSM though, keep that in mind.

I'm in the same boat as you. Sadly the iPhone seems to be the best phone around for now, especially when you consider it can be had for $199. But yeah, I would't buy one, because literally every other person I know has one.

I was eyeing the N95 but it's way too bulky for my tastes. What's smallish phone with a really good camera?

Samsung U900, G600
LG KF750, U990
Sony Ericsson C902
Nokia 6220classic

Will take a look, thanks mate.

the Sony Ericsson C905 is gonna be the one to watch out for with its 8.1mp camera and slide form, but besides that if you can get the C902 or 6220classic for a good price its the two I would recommend

the Sony Ericsson C905 is gonna be the one to watch out for with its 8.1mp camera and slide form, but besides that if you can get the C902 or 6220classic for a good price its the two I would recommend

The c902 looked like a winner if my brother didn't offer me his phone for $150 The 6500 classic while not exactly the most advanced phone in the world is small and light and really that's what I need more than a billion megapixels and features i'll never use.

^ I'm gonna man up and admit that I don't want an iPhone because of the staggering popularity and commonness of it. I'm not usually one to care about this... I even bought a Moto RAZR at the height of its popularity because I liked it, but the iPhone craze is enough to put me off. Plus, I said a good camera was at the top of my list, and that's possibly the iPhone's biggest area of epic fail.

Anyway, the C905 does look like a winner. I've been weary of SE and the last one I owned was an Ericsson T68, but this does look good. Any ideas on price?

SE stuff is very good, basically I would argue that Sony Ericsson stuff is fantastic and is better then Nokia now a days and in regards to the C905 all I know is it coming out soon and I'm guessing $600-700 Australian

What network are you on? If you happen to be on CDMA, find yourself a Samsung Haptic from Korea.... makes the iphone look like a Tonka truck!

EDIT... nevermind, I should have read more before replying. I see you are on GSM now... sorry!

^ Of course, I'm a rabid GSM loony!

I love it, seriously.

I'm in the market for a new mobile phone, looking to spend around the A$500 mark (outright).

Been fairly pleased with my sony ericsson w800i but the case is a little dinged up and it's supposed to be a sealed unit and well it's not so sealed any more and dust is all in the screen.

My old man is on t-mobile in the US and able to get a new phone on his plan but none of them really seem that good and I would need to unlock it to work here in AU.

yeh the c905 looks great and with a 8mp cam

u can also try the so called iphone killer which is the samsung omnia i900

im currently using the samsung u900 and havent had any issues at all with it

What network are you on? If you happen to be on CDMA, find yourself a Samsung Haptic from Korea.... makes the iphone look like a Tonka truck!

EDIT... nevermind, I should have read more before replying. I see you are on GSM now... sorry!

And the fact that CDMA doesn't exist in Australia...

From what I've read a while back, the C905's Camera is basically the same unit as the K850, abeit the resolution is enlarged. The photo quality doesn't seem to be any better than Samsung's latest 8MP camera, and ever since the W580, I've been doubting Sony Ericsson's build quality ever since. My friends with K810s and a few other similar phones experience anything from broken keypads to software glitches. If you have the money, I highly recommend Nokia over Sony Ericsson (assuming if the price is right). Good luck with your purchase.

http://www.mobile-review.com/index-en.shtml

When it's back up, you should check this site, as I've found that it has the most detailed and impartial reviews of pretty much all GSM mobile phones on sale today.

Nokia... where to start? Bulky units, either uninspiring or overdone designs, a UI that emphasizes user-friendliness too much, and no Nokia unit I've ever owned has seemed especially well-built (after the 2100 series, that is).

Maybe Hidden is willing to go Nokia, but I've had the least pleasant experiences with their phones over SE, Motorola, Samsung and iMate phones I've owned before.

Nokia... where to start? Bulky units, either uninspiring or overdone designs, a UI that emphasizes user-friendliness too much, and no Nokia unit I've ever owned has seemed especially well-built (after the 2100 series, that is).

Maybe Hidden is willing to go Nokia, but I've had the least pleasant experiences with their phones over SE, Motorola, Samsung and iMate phones I've owned before.

I only paid $150 for it from my brother for a practically new 6500 classic so I really don't care if I have to replace it in 12 months when I graduate

It's not that Nokia's phones are necessarily bad, I'm just a bit more discerning than the average mobile phone consumer.

Anyway, sorry to ruin your thread. I'm gonna hold off for a bit until some new models come out.

Again, the branding of a mobile phone is highly subjective. I admit, most of the N-series phones I've used tend to have some serious build quality issues. I do, however, like the "substantial" size, as it give a better hand feel.

edit - http://www.mobile-review.com/review/sonyericsson-c905-camera-en.shtml

Heres a very detailed review of the C905. It should allow you to consider the pros and cons of this phone.

It's not that Nokia's phones are necessarily bad, I'm just a bit more discerning than the average mobile phone consumer.

Anyway, sorry to ruin your thread. I'm gonna hold off for a bit until some new models come out.

Oh I much prefered my sony ericsson, but it had a fixed case and was filled with dust (yes I had tried to pry it open and clean it out but each time you do that it fills up quicker)

I would of had to spend a fair amount to get something substantially better than my w800i

I had the dust problem with my RAZR, it was a pain to use.

I might get the C905 if the price is reasonable ($400 and under) since the camera doesn't seem spectacular. I like the looks of it.

It would make sense if I just upgraded from the Samsung U600 which I like to the U900. But that organic, shape shifting screen replacing the D-pad seems pointless and a nuisance to use on a daily basis.

samsung-sould-u900-01.jpg

I've actually toyed around with one of these a few months back, and I can honestly tell you that the keypad design was ridiculously pointless. I think as long as you don't drop your phone much, you probably won't have the dust problem. I've been using my E6 for a little over a year now and it's as good as new. If you are in the market for a mobile, perhaps you can wait for one of these
http://www.mobile-review.com/review/samsung-i8510-en.shtml

As much as I dislike Samsungs, this is one of the only phones that has impressed me. It may have the look of an N95, but there is a chance that it will be better built, it runs Symbian, and it has an 8MP camera thats EASILY better than the C905's rather dodgy unit.

Last edited: