Return of the VW microbus?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/06/rumormill-vw-microbus-back-on-the-table/

vw_micro_lo_02.jpg

The 2001 VW Microbus concept was really cool; so much so that it looked like it was headed for 2005 production. Then the project started getting expensive at the same time the U.S. dollar began to hit the skids. So, then-boss Bernd Pischetsrieder swung the axe, and it was curtains for the retro breadbox. Fast-forward to the present. Instead of a spiffy new Microbus, we now have the Routan, which is fake German for "Dodge Caravan." Not very exciting, to say the least.

A revival of Flower Power's official vehicle seemed hopeless -- until now. The Sydney Morning Herald reports that VW's entertaining the possibility of a 21st-century Microbus built on the same platform as the new sedan that'll pe produced at VW's Chattanooga, TN facility. An unnamed "senior Volkswagen official" told the paper that European production's basically a non-starter, and Volkswagen Group of America's Jill Bratina played it coy, saying only that a second vehicle line out of Chattanooga is "conceivable in the foreseeable future." A locally-built, car-based Microbus is an idea that certainly piques our interest. How about yours?

(Oh, and by the way, should you ever decide to move to Brazil, you can still kick it old-school down there in the meantime.)

Oh...I read about this revival a couple of days ago. That concept is just about the coolest minivan I've ever seen, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

DO WANT

Just build it like this, no watered down final version shit

Sweet - give it a split front window (yes I know it'll never happen) and the world will be a better place.

Do NOT want.

I can just see aging Baby Boomers buying one to relive their "glory days" - and driving up I-5 in California doing 30 under, trailing a HUGE cloud of marijuana smoke.

Do NOT want.

I can just see aging Baby Boomers buying one to relive their "glory days" - and driving up I-5 in California doing 30 under, trailing a HUGE cloud of marijuana smoke.

My parents.

I like the concept. However, I have a feeling it will not be successful.

I kinda like it, does that make me a hippie?
Yes. Time to sell your polluting Mustang, quit wearing shoes and start smoking weed and playing frisbee!

This would make an awesome shag-wagon for oldies trying to relive their old days.

When these hit the road, I'll make sure to steer clear of them.

Do NOT want.

Before my friends poisoned me with muscle car "taste", all i wanted in the world was a split window VW bus :(

Alas on my high school budget, it was always about 20 grand out of reach for a good example...

Bring it on VW...This car imo has personality. At least the old one did so i hope the new one will have too (if the decide to produce it).

This plus the VW 2.0l TDI would be a good looking minivan that does 50MPG, whats not to love!