Halo Kid accidentally kills himself trying to re-enact Halo

D

D-Fence

'Halo Kid' accidentally kills himself
Monday 8-Sep-2008 7:00 PM Youtube star shoots himself imitating Halo
16 Comments
A Halo fan who found infamy on Youtube after filming himself imitating the game has accidentally killed himself in a Halo stunt.

11-year old-Nimm gained Youtube infamy after filming himself in homemade Master Chief outfits.

The boy from Johnson Creek, Wisconsin acted out exact game animations using cardboard armour and weapons. Nimm was at home, skipping school in order to practice his moves using a .22 rifle as a prop, when he apparently shot himself in the head by accident.

Police and paramedics responded, but the boy was pronounced dead 35 minutes after their arrival. Nimm had extensive knowledge of the Halo game, but unfortunately lacked the experience with real firearms. The blame has been placed on weapon control, but this incident will likely provide another argument against violent games.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=6083

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TPANByjqh8[/YOUTUBE]

Well.......luckily for Star Wars Kid lightsaber development isn't that far.....but still, I feel sad for him and will go to hell for smiling when reading it :(

What a massively sad tragedy - just how the hell does an 11 year old end up in the possession of a loaded firearm?

Don't ruin my thread by bringing up gun control plz :(

Nah, skipping school's the real culprit here. How many lives have been lost to kids who have been purportedly "too cool for school"? Our politicians need to act now! Abolish hooky immediately! :shakefist:

Jack Thompson in 4...3...2...

My deepest sorrow for his family, but where the fuck were his parents?

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, if you've got a young kid, lock that shit up.

If he was skipping school, his parents might have been at work.

RIP

Shit happens...

Police and paramedics responded, but the boy was pronounced dead 35 minutes after their arrival.

What?

Hey Jim, what do you think we should do?
I dunno Terry, maybe we should call Bob.
Bob? He's deaf.
You know, Terry, that's why they invented text messaging.

Seriously though, 35 minutes? As a medical student I'm pretty sure that's too long to spend on scene.

What?

Bob? He's deaf.

Seriously though, 35 minutes? As a medical student I'm pretty sure that's too long to spend on scene.

If the boy got shot by a rifle at point blank range in the head, there was probably little to no chance of survival. But that 35 minutes is the time that he was pronounced dead. Other than in a few situations, paramedics will spend quite a bit of time either on the scene or on the way to the hospital trying to regain a pulse. In this situation, they may not have risked moving him since the injuries were extremely severe.

Damn, the kid showed so much promise, too. Making stuff that good out of cardboard at age 11, he could have had one hell of a career building & designing props for film and television. Another warning to parents to lock up their guns and teach their children proper gun safety.

What?

Bob? He's deaf.

He could have died on the way to the hospital.

I agree with the above: It should have been locked up.
But I have to add: Why was the gun loaded? I'm sure the kid, no matter if he's 11, knew better than to put a bullet in the gun. Thus, the gun was loaded. Who the hell stores a loaded gun? Who the hell stores their gun and ammo in the same place, anyway?

I feel sorry for the kid. But seriously, the parents... shoot them!

Laws and gun control aside, everyone knows the basic rules of storing guns: You keep your gun in a locked compartment that's hard to break. You store it unloaded and with no bullet in the barrel. And you store the ammunition in another place (even if in the same room, say you lock the rifle in the closet and put the bullets in the bottom drawer of the dresser/desk).

\Thus, I'm not against giving guns to people. I'm just against giving guns to STUPID PEOPLE.

Last edited:
What a massively sad tragedy - just how the hell does an 11 year old end up in the possession of a loaded firearm?

This is Wisconsin. Reasonably rural Wisconsin. Every 11-year-old I knew, when I grew up in WI, was already hunting with their family, and probably already had some Hunter's Safety courses where you learn to handle and respect firearms. Hell, I had taken down a deer with a 16 gauge shotgun when I was 12. A .22 is something that a rural family might have on hand to kill rodents in the yard, or keep coyotes, foxes or raccoons from getting at chickens. They might have a couple...one with a nice scope for dad, and one with just some sights for the kid to practice with.

Keeping it locked up and forbidden is like telling your 19 year-old that the beer in the fridge is off-limits while you're on vacation.

Poor kid. Hope he went quick...he had some potential...Chaos386 is right...impressive for an 11 year old doing something creative with his hands rather than just...playing Halo.

Also, they simply said he was pronounced dead 35 minutes after helps arrived at the scene. They never said, "He was pronounced 'dead' at the scene 35 minutes after aid arrived." They very well could have been in the hospital for 20 minutes. Johnson Creek is 2,055 residents. They may not even have an ambulance/ They may have an emt or two who live in the town who get there to begin administering high-level first aid, while a rescue squad from a neighboring town hits the road. Also, in rural parts of the country, someone who has teh authority to "pronounce" death isn't always readily available. Sometimes they will either wait for a coroner to show up at the scene, or they will take them to the hospital.

Even if the EMT's walk into the room, and someone's head is 3ft away from their body, only certain people can officially declare the death for obvious legal reasons.

Even if the EMT's walk into the room, and someone's head is 3ft away from their body, only certain people can officially declare the death for obvious legal reasons.

Actually that's exactly the kind of situation where an EMT is allowed to declare death.

Actually that's exactly the kind of situation where an EMT is allowed to declare death.

Hmm...I always thought it was only if they were liscensed as a coroner...at least it was about 10 years ago. My father was an emt/fireman for decades, and he always complained about having to transport someone...in two separate containers...to "go get declared." Maybe things have changed since then.

Keeping it locked up and forbidden is like telling your 19 year-old that the beer in the fridge is off-limits while you're on vacation.

No offense, but that's a very bad comparison. Nobody keeps their fridges locked and the family was certainly not on vacation. I don't care how familiar kids may be with guns or if it is an ordinary thing for a kid to know how to use a gun, that's beside the point. If you store a gun, you lock it up and don't give your 11 year old access to it. Grown people make mistakes with guns, certainly an 11 year-old is more prone to make a mistake.

And just to make sure we're on the same page, by locking it up I mean putting it somewhere where it can only be accessed with a key or with a combination ... and certainly not giving said key or combo to your son. No matter if it's your gun or you got it so your son can use it/practice on it.

EDIT: And you lock it up ESPECIALLY if you're not supposed to be home at the time (kid's suppossed to be at school)

Last edited: