First example of "E-Ink" technology on a magazine

jetsetter

Forum Addict
Car(s)
1997 BMW 528i
It is Esquire's 75th anniversary and they decided to produce 100,000 copies of an anniversary issue with E-Ink technology on the cover and inside.

E-Ink Cover
[YOUTUBE]iKS12PMdJ6w[/YOUTUBE]
E-Ink Cover
[YOUTUBE]YE4BpfcI-AM[/YOUTUBE]
E-Ink Ford Flex Advertisement
[YOUTUBE]CaVvqacGKVQ[/YOUTUBE]
Inside Esquire's E-Ink Cover and Ad
[YOUTUBE]SKOVJuPxJJ4[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]9EWb1zHIx38[/YOUTUBE]​

That's damn cool, that is.

Really cool stuff... 3M technology, right? Could I go out and buy this issue?

But that Ford ad looks stupid... so it just flashes the background slightly?

Really, really cool. I can't wait to see this used on a larger scale.

Very, very cool - read about this earlier today and wondered just how it looked, lo and behold FG fills me in.

already think magasines cost waaaay to much, this'll make it only worse

who needs it? i don't

I don't think the ford ad just flashes, it looks like the wheels change too to give the impression that the car's moving. I really like the technology, but it'll be a looong time before it gets to mainstream mags like TG. It would be great though to see moving images in the car reviews.

Ooh flashing text that disappears for no reason. Do want! Not.

The issues feature a custom battery?which reportedly took a "six-figure investment" to design and produce?that should keep the displays going for ninety days. The manufacturing chain for the magazines is reportedly byzantine, with the batteries and covers being built in China, then shipped to Mexico by way of Texas, where the 100,000 individual issues were assembled by hand, then loaded into refrigerated trucks for distribution in the United States. (That urban myth about keeping batteries in the freezer to extend their shelf life?might be truer than most people think.)

In your face eco-mentalists.

A +1 to you. That's cool beans.

How does this work? does it use a small battery or something?

It must do, the cover looks quite thick too.

How does this work? does it use a small battery or something?

As Aston Martin pointed out, it does have a battery source... which means after a few months it will be a static image. I wouldn't mind buying one to keep for kicks (only $2 more than regular versions of this issue), but after the power runs out it will just display a static picture.

I'm not certain how it works, but it only has black and white. Basically, it has the ability to turn each pixel on (black) and off (white). The concept itself isn't that complex... basically zaps some power to specific pixels to turn them black. So no, you can't actually have moving images like wheels of a car rotating, it's just an illusion which I'm guessing isn't 100 percent convincing in person.

Oh, and apparently Ford funded this whole project to advertise the launch of the Flex. Esquire's anniversary was just an excuse to do it.

I got one for this reason. Apparently it will run for at least three months, but Esquire claims that they've been shown to run for about twice this long (Longer if stored in cold place). The way they did the flex bit was not nearly as impressive as the other panel. The flex is separated into three panels which flash in turn.

They're finally on Ebay $35-55+... it's only $6 to buy off the shelf.
Theres one on ebay for $40 and thats with free delivery to me.

I have a buddy in NYC, it could be done for about $20ish i guess.

I really want this.

That is mighty cool! I'd like to see it on a larger scale, with moving pictures! The future is here. I wonder if they could somehow harness solar power or something? Works for pocket calculators.

One is on it's way to me.

The exchange rate sucks... last month it wasn't this bad. :(

One is on it's way to me.

The exchange rate sucks... last month it wasn't this bad. :(

You should love the exchange rates UK to US. It should be about 2 - 1.

I bought one of these just for the hell of it and its cool. I dident realize they were going for so much on ebay. I wonder if the place I got mine at has more it might be worth going and picking up a couple to sell and make some $$$

You should love the exchange rates UK to US. It should be about 2 - 1.

I bought one of these just for the hell of it and its cool. I dident realize they were going for so much on ebay. I wonder if the place I got mine at has more it might be worth going and picking up a couple to sell and make some $$$

About a month ago it was 2-1... now it's about 1.83 to 1. :(