Need a new new HDD what type to go for?

Solberg

Car(s)
Porsche 997 Carrera S & 2012 Ford Raptor!!
I have 3 320GB WD external HDDs.

I also have a internal 500 GB HDD.

I am running low on storage with just under 100 GB free.

So my question is this, should I go internal or external? My computer case have slots for 3 or 4 HDDs so that's not a problem. The question is, how do I connect it? just plug it into any Sata port? Will I need to format it or install some software? Or, will it just be like a flash memory stick (Plug and play)?

Also, is one system better than another? It's mainly for videos and photos. I will only need to access it from time to time. My external HDDs are always off unless I need a file from them.

If it's just to be used from time-to-time as multimedia storage, external is probably better. Get an eSATA enclosure and, if necessary, an eSATA PCI card. eSATA is way faster than USB.

If you go this route, you'll just need to install the eSATA card driver and connect the eSATA enclosure with whatever SATA hard drive inside of it that you want.

If you go the internal route (unless you want to move the drives between computers often, why go external?) all you have to do is hook the drive up to sata and power (while the computer is off, naturally), and then format the drive if it isn't already formatted.

If you go the internal route (unless you want to move the drives between computers often, why go external?) all you have to do is hook the drive up to sata and power (while the computer is off, naturally), and then format the drive if it isn't already formatted.
For the record, SATA is designed to be hot-swappable, so, actually, you don't even have to power down the computer if you don't want to.

The reason I suggested external is because, if he's not going to be using it often, there's no sense in keeping the disks spinning all the time when not in use.

If it's just to be used from time-to-time as multimedia storage, external is probably better. Get an eSATA enclosure and, if necessary, an eSATA PCI card. eSATA is way faster than USB.

If you go this route, you'll just need to install the eSATA card driver and connect the eSATA enclosure with whatever SATA hard drive inside of it that you want.

I'd go with that because if you're going to use it primarily for media, it's nice to be able to bring it to another computer if you should ever want to. Then again with four externals you'd be getting awfully crowded on your desk.

I have a big desk ;-)

It makes sense not to have the HDD spinning away when I'm not even using it.

I think I'll go external.

You could also use the power saving options in your OS. That way your HDDs will be automatically turned off and on when needed. Besides internal drives are much cheaper too. Only reason you should buy external if you need to take the drive with you or if you use it on multiple computers.
It's not really that hard to install a internal drive.. Do it once and you will feel silly wasting money on getting external drives when you don't really need them :p

Great.

Just when I had my mind made up about getting an external HDD you make me think an internal is the better option.

How do you configure it to shut down if not in used? I'm running Vista.

cvrefugee, thanks for taking the time to help me out. + rep ;-)

Can I configure that only one of the internal HDDs will shut down after say 20 min of no use?

Btw, I'm also using that wallpaper :)

So going internal wouldn't really work well for me after all.

I am not 100% sure, but I think that setting applys to all drives but it does only turn those drives off that are not in use. So it should do what you are looking for.