Return of the 914?

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
See signature
http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/11/report-porsche-considering-914-revival/

Once every 40 years or so, when the stars are aligned just right, there arises the cosmic possibility for Volkswagen and Porsche to collaborate on a small sportscar. The stars in question seem to be Porsche chairman Dr. Ferdinand Piech, a spirit of takeover cooperation between the two German automakers, and the input of third-party contractor Karmann. It was Dr. Piech, the same man who has been driving Porsche's takeover of the Volkswagen group, who had ushered the original Porsche 914 into reality. But when Volkswagen launches its latest concept at the LA Auto Show this November, it hopes the little Elise fighter will garner enough attention to put the project into production as soon as 2011 with versions for both VW and Porsche.

The original Porsche 914 was based largely on borrowed Volkswagen mechanicals. Karmann was also heavily involved in the 914 project, and could be tapped once again to build the new sportscar for both Volkswagen and Porsche, with the project potentially spawning an Audi R4, as well. Although some sources suggest the Porsche version could adopt the 2.7-liter flat six from the base Boxster, with Zuffenhausen admittedly considering the possibility of going back to four-cylinder engines, anything's possible. Sources point out, however, that the four-cylinder version of the 914 was the top selling model. While you consider the idea of a budget Porsche, check out the high-resolution images of original 914 images in the gallery below.

I <3 the 914

Also, the 4 cylinder was the best seller because the production costs of the 6 cylinder made it only slightly less than an entry 911

Last edited:
Someone correct me if I am wrong:
Wouldn't it compete with the Cayman? Or would it be smaller and simples, and therefore lighter?

Someone correct me if I am wrong:
Wouldn't it compete with the Cayman? Or would it be smaller and simples, and therefore lighter?

It would be smaller and lighter than the Cayman or Boxster, probably geared more towards the Elise crowd. I would definitely consider it.

As a Porsche fan I would love to see this. The 914 was a good idea, poorly executed, mostly the engine was trash.

I feel Porsche has somewhat lost its way (e.g. bloated 911s and especially the Cayenne). As one of only a few pure sports car makers, I felt something like what Mazda did with the MX5 should have been done by Porsche as steward of the breed.

Even the Boxster/Cayman are too high in price for the average enthusiast in his 20s. Sports cars don't all have to be super-expensive (see MX5). Despite the B.S. about Cayman/Boster owners not being able to afford 911s, getting into Porsche's mid-engined goodness will cost you $45-70k, hardly chump change. A light, bare bones car in the $20-35k range would tickle enthusiasts' fancy. Even for people who can afford more, it would make a great spec racer and something a working enthusiast could strip and cage for far less cash than a 911 GT2.

The dentists who own 911 C4 cabriolets will whine about brand dilution, but giving a true bare bones sports car that an average person can have a shot at attaining is more true to the spirit IMO. That's why Porsches aren't as expensive as Ferraris, after all.

I think some people are forgetting what the 914 was. It was a very small and light mid-engined car that at first glance looks like it is British. The first time I learned of them, I was shocked to see it was a Porsche and not an MG or something.

p914-paint-1971-6-1510-01.jpg

BTW both the 914 and the 924 were designed for Audi, but Audi cancelled their projects and they became Porsches. (Well, technicallly VW/Audi scaled back the 914 and they did market a few 914-4s (the 4 cylinder variant) and Porsche did the 914-6 (6 cylinder variant)).

Last edited:
best Porsche ever, only beacuse it was a Volkswagen :) Or VolksPorsche, if you may. I have worked many hours on this car, on my friends 914, it's been torn to atoms and built back up twice now, and had an almost fatal accident with it last summer. It lives again now. This car is heavily modified, with 944 brakes and that whole lot. Porsche CUP wheels.

More handling from such little money, you will spend your whole life looking for....

The last picture I took of it, this summer @ our VW meet:

http://img386.imageshack.**/img386/1011/bilde155do8.jpg

haz: that is one slick 914. I'm not a big fan of the stock ones with their very 80's looks (plastic, etc.), but man, tweak them a little and they're so hot!

merely an extra in the background here..

http://img527.imageshack.**/img527/5574/bilde191ru9.jpg

we had a stock 914 visiting the meet too, red colour
http://img504.imageshack.**/img504/1363/bilde200tw5.jpg

http://img517.imageshack.**/img517/3903/bilde201mh3.jpg

here you can see how low it can go:
http://img517.imageshack.**/img517/4716/bilde141oc8.jpg

Gah, resize. My poor, slow Internet connection can't take it. :?

And those red rims are HORRIBLE as is the black car's hood.

I didn't bother because it does that automatically here. Red rims? Where?

I'm sorry Viper, but Porsche Fuchs (polished) are probably the most famous original rims in the history of rims, and the most prefered rim by any aircooled Porsche/VW fan in the history. They are also the most reproduced wheel of all time. Forged magnesium alloy Fuchs wheels were used in the Porsche 911 in the 1960s through the late 1980s. I'm just saying..

I've never seen a Veyron in real life, i've seen an Enzo... i've never seen a 914.

I thought they rusted away instantly?

Fuchs are legendary, true, but not in that colorscheme :p

This is the "correct" look:
Porsche%20911%202.7%20Coupe%20001.jpg

EDIT: Or the green 914 posted earlier, didn't scroll up to check ;)

It would be smaller and lighter than the Cayman or Boxster, probably geared more towards the Elise crowd. I would definitely consider it.

Me too. Probably THE Porsche I would want.

A friend of mine had a 914. It was fun to drive, but it ate starters. I can now change a starter in a 914 in about 10 minutes.