The "New Toys" Thread

AOL Radio here.

Is that the home edition or the essential?

Essential Edition, they didn't have anything else, but anyway all the Home Edition gives you is a capacity gauge and Auto Backup, two things which i have no use for.

Is the home edition shiny?

I think that's the matt/non shiny finish, mine has a gloss finish.

Looks beautiful! Here's to hoping you have better luck with the next firmware upgrade coming on Tuesday. :p Does it still have the engraving or is it the plain silver back like mine?

I picked up some networking toys in the form of a netgear wireless router and d-link gigabit switch for my apartment. Pics to come when I have time.

http://img357.imageshack.**/my.php?image=dscf0162vp6.jpg

Last edited:
Looks beautiful! Here's to hoping you have better luck with the next firmware upgrade coming on Tuesday. :p Does it still have the engraving or is it the plain silver back like mine?

Actually yes, since i got it registered for repair/replacement, they just followed the same order and the same engraving :D

And i don't think i'll EVER upgrade, it came with 2.5 and i installed the same software on the PC and it works fine. Maybe when they reach 3.0 or something i'll chance an upgrade.

Got myself a new graphics card recently, just couldn't say no to the offering.
VisionTek 4870 512MB GDDR5 for $225 is a dang good buy.

After doing the fanmod and stuff I went to overclocking. Unfortunately, from stock (750/1000) CCC will only take me to 790/1100. Going to have to wait for some other program (ATITools namely) to support the 4870 to get the most out of the card.

Also going to go through another round of OCing with my E8400 and try to squeeze 4.1 or 4.2 out of it, and once i get 4.2 and a nice OC on my graphics card I'll try to get 17 or 18k on 3d06. Right now with 3.6 on the E8400 and stock on the card I got 14500-ish, which is about 200 better than my heavily-overclocked 9800GTX + E8400@3.8

Actually yes, since i got it registered for repair/replacement, they just followed the same order and the same engraving :D

And i don't think i'll EVER upgrade, it came with 2.5 and i installed the same software on the PC and it works fine. Maybe when they reach 3.0 or something i'll chance an upgrade.
Sweet deal! Microsoft customer support scores again. Don't be worried about the upcoming firmware upgrade. Lightning can't strike twice...right?

Speaking of audio equipment I picked up and installed the following new toys today:
https://pic.armedcats.net/a/an/anonymous/2008/09/12/TS-G1042R_hi_000.jpg

Nothing fancy, just replacements for my Disco's rear speakers that decided to pack up. After a few months of not caring enough to do anything about it I forgot how awesome the system sounds when everything is working right. :woot: Unfortunately now it sounds better than the setup I have at my desk so that might have to get an upgrade at some point...

THIS is the set I saved my money for as a kid, and when I did finally have enough to buy it, they discontinued it. Im still trying to find a set that is under $250 to satisfy my childish desire.

bricklink.com
ebay.com

I got it for under 200$ iirc

Going to pick up an Xbox 360 after work today. For $450 (in interest-free installments) I'm getting:
Console w/ 20GB HD
3 controllers
2 Rechargeable controller batteries
Wifi adapter
HD DVD drive w/"HD" remote - I guess they have a special remote for the HD drive?
Regular console remote
Intercooler - I'm a bit wary of that thing, I'll have to ask around to see if it'll actually help or just cause more problems.
Halo 3
NFS: Carbon
some crappy game

In order to help pay for this I'm going to sell most of my rc cars. Haven't used them in a long time and I'm sure I could get a decent amount of money for them. Problem is, I didn't tell my girlfriend about this yet, so here's to hoping she doesn't get too mad :p

Going to pick up an Xbox 360 after work today. For $450 (in interest-free installments) I'm getting:
Console w/ 20GB HD
3 controllers
2 Rechargeable controller batteries
Wifi adapter
HD DVD drive w/"HD" remote - I guess they have a special remote for the HD drive?
Regular console remote
Intercooler - I'm a bit wary of that thing, I'll have to ask around to see if it'll actually help or just cause more problems.
Halo 3
NFS: Carbon
some crappy game

In order to help pay for this I'm going to sell most of my rc cars. Haven't used them in a long time and I'm sure I could get a decent amount of money for them. Problem is, I didn't tell my girlfriend about this yet, so here's to hoping she doesn't get too mad :p
If you don't wanna spend $100 on the wifi adapter, you can use your laptop (with XP/Vista on it) as a network adapter.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Use-your-laptop-as-an-XboxXbox-360-wireless-adap/

smib- If it's used, check the power connector on the intercooler. If it is a dark yellow, or looks crispy, THROW IT OUT! Some of the older models were made with cheaper plastic so it would cause a fire hazard.

SOCOM Beta! Yay, its not as bad as it could have... been.... isn't super good though. :(

Hmm, I should play that. I have it installed, but haven't played it yet.

smib- If it's used, check the power connector on the intercooler. If it is a dark yellow, or looks crispy, THROW IT OUT! Some of the older models were made with cheaper plastic so it would cause a fire hazard.

Thanks for the heads up. I just checked it and it looks fine, although he said he didn't use it much, so I'll keep an eye on it. Also, he gave me two power supplies, one with 12V at 14.2 amps and one with it at 16.5, so I'm of course using the better one. Also good for me is that this is new enough to have HDMI, gonna be awesome when I get that HDTV... eventually. I hope.

Hmm, I should play that. I have it installed, but haven't played it yet.

Yeah, its not terrible but I am afraid SOCOM will never be as good or better than the first. If you only played SOCOM II and up, I think you will be happy though.

You will have to get a headset for your PS3 now since playing without one ruins the gameplay with the proximity chat.

Yeah, its not terrible but I am afraid SOCOM will never be as good or better than the first. If you only played SOCOM II and up, I think you will be happy though.

You will have to get a headset for your PS3 now since playing without one ruins the gameplay with the proximity chat.
How did/do you get into the beta?