Automatic alphabetical listing in word?

Buba

Wants Rick Astley's Babies
Car(s)
BMW M235i
Hey guys.

For my doctorate I need a literature index. I won't have more than 80-100 things on it, so I don't wanna use some citation manager or external programm, just word 2007.

I have a list that looks like this:

[FONT=&quot]Eichner K: Zah?rztliche Werkstoffe und ihre Verarbeitung, Band 2: Werkstoffe unter klinischen Aspekten.
H?thig Verlag, Heidelberg, D, 5. Auflage 1985[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
Wilson AD, et al.:A new translucent cement for dentistry. The glass ionomer cement.
Brit Dent J, 1972; 132:133-135[/FONT]

What I want is a possibility to sort that alphabetically by the surname of the author, aka the first letters of each listing. Any way to do that without much of a hassle?

Thx, +1 to everybody offering advice

Buba

I think that's impossible to do in word. If you have excel, you can do alphebetized listings per first name/surname, but I don't think you can do it in word.

Why don't you want to use a citation manager like Endnote?

Had a client ask me about this a while ago - you can try doing the sort by paragraph thing. Try making each entry its own paragraph, then highlight the whole lot, select the sort button from the home tab, by default it should say Paragraph and Ascending. Hopefully this helps!

Thanks Evan, your Tip worked brilliantly!

But by playing around I found the built in citation manager of office 2007, and I'm in the process of typing the few sources I had already in there so that it can give out a nice and coherent list in the end. Hope that will work ;-)

It will work with Excel 2007, not sure about MS Word.

Thanks Evan, your Tip worked brilliantly!

But by playing around I found the built in citation manager of office 2007, and I'm in the process of typing the few sources I had already in there so that it can give out a nice and coherent list in the end. Hope that will work ;-)

Um dude, use a proper citation manager like EndNote and you can dynamically create a list of references in any format you want (it can even connect with a heap of different universities libraries so you don't even have to type in any details for books) Most uni's will have a license for it I would of thought, if not there are always other methods ;)