Future classics

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
I read a couple of classic car magazines a month, and there's always a 'Future classic' segment.

So I thought it'd be good, if we had our own thread to discuss what we think will be 'future classics'.
The cars in which a few generations time, people will say "I can't believe people destroyed those"... a little like we say now. :p

The Alfa 8C has to make the list, mainly due to it's availability.

For a wild-card I'm gonna say, the old CL65. In the US they're 10 a penny, but in the UK at launch Merc said, that they were only gonna be about 20 made in RHD form, I reckon it's less than that.
I've only seen about 6 for sale in 18 months, although currently there's 3 for sale that I can find... fuel prices are the cause I reckon.

Obviously early Ferrari's, Aston's, 300SL's etc. I think are a given, to continue to go up in value.
There's been a theory that Testarossa's are going to skyrocket in Europe soon.

Merc made 30 alloy 300sl's, however Merc only made 25 of these. (Ok 24... don't count the lemon. :p )

http://img525.imageshack.**/img525/218/mercedesclkgtrec4.jpg

So what do you think will be a future classic and which current classic do you think are set to rise in value?

25 of those? I can beat that.

clr_1.jpg

There's only one of these left in existence... and it hasn't been seen since 1999. :lol:

Joking, of course.

All the cars in the first post already are classics, because of their rarity. Future classics are cars that are currently very common, but in about 10 years time will no longer be for whatever reason, and will be remembered fondly by most people. Cars like the VW Corrado, Peugeot 205, Mercedes 190E, etc. Cars like The Audi RS4 i also consider to be classics, because of their impact and the fact that it's beyond reach for most people. Supercars are always instant classics.

it's difficult to say which ones will go on to become classics, since you don't know what the future will bring.

for instance, an Aston Martin is a fantastically good looking thing, with a great soundtrack but I don't consider it classic (whether that's due to the fact they'll probably all explode before being old enough to be called "classic" is a another matter)

besides, being rare does not make it a classic either...

This will most definitely be a future classic:

pagani_zonda_f_clubsport_ring.jpg

Not just the Clubsport, but the regular F as well. This will just be valued higher.

A simple name that has been around for a realy long time. Yes. The 911.

Well, maybe not as much of a classic as compared to the CLK GTR though... =/
porsche911completeevolution.jpg

Next up, I think it's the Lamborghini Murcielago.
It's the car that brought life back to Lamborghini, along with more civilisation and technology et al.

Next up, I think it's the Lamborghini Murcielago.
It's the car that brought life back to Lamborghini, along with more civilisation and technology et al.

Theres too many of those made IMO.

Ok something more down to earth, the mk 1 Fiat Batchetta?

for instance, an Aston Martin is a fantastically good looking thing, with a great soundtrack but I don't consider it classic (whether that's due to the fact they'll probably all explode before being old enough to be called "classic" is a another matter)

True as much as I love the V8 Vantage, it's diluted the brand too much.

Last edited:
unlike the new beetle, i realy think the new mini will become a classic

and special engine-editions of normal cars, ie Honda typeR, VW R32-36, renault sport-editions, ...

I think the Lancer Evo stands a pretty good chance. It's more brutal than the WRX and I don't see many around.

Of course anything from the exotic manufacturers stand a really good chance, but I'm thinking more of the "everyman's car" that is destined to be a collectible. I find myself asking, "Is this the next '57 Chevy?"

I think the Lancer Evo stands a pretty good chance. It's more brutal than the WRX and I don't see many around.

Of course anything from the exotic manufacturers stand a really good chance, but I'm thinking more of the "everyman's car" that is destined to be a collectible. I find myself asking, "Is this the next '57 Chevy?"

I think the Pontiac G8 has a chance and being the next 57 chevy.

1-1.jpg

Still common and anonymous enough right now to not be a classic, but in time, it will be.

The CLIO V6! How could I forget?

You're right, that would be a fantastic candidate.

Now that You reminded me, the Z8, and the M Coupe are other candidates ;).

What about the Mk1 Ford Focus - it set a new benchmark in small family cars when it was launched back in 1998

ford-focus.jpg

Last edited:
I would think the Mk1 focus is more akin to something like the Beetle. A classic, in the sense that it brought something to the masses in a way that wasn't done before. You'll see a lot of them all over the world in their original shape, but you will see an equal amount, if not more, beaten up, broken down, not taken care of, etc.

People will respect it for what it is/was, but not value it, if you know what I mean.