2008 Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix

I did exactly the same thing... no time for toilet breaks for me!

I went through a bottle of Red during the race so i had no choice at one point ;)

I stayed as short a time as possible on Star though, to enjoy Martin Brundle and even Allen who understood the race and procedures better than Steve Slater and poor old Alex Yoong, who should just drive in A1 and be happy.

The whole event was great. Fantastic street circuit and artificial light made super show. I think it was fantastic weekend all through trainings, qual and of course race.

Great win by Alonso, he was very fast and made no mistakes, so deserved the first place 100%. Massa had bad luck and it was another time when the light system failed. Additional to "pipe accident" it was second race when Massa nearly collided on the pit lane. Because at the and Ferrari got back to the lollipop I think it is the end of lights at Ferrari. Raikkonen made another mistake...
Situation with Rosberg and Kubica once more showed that rules must be changed. It wasn't first time this season when someone must refuel when it's against the rules.

Nevertheless race was both impressive and had a lot of action, one of the best in this season.

You know what, looking back now i'm so relieved that massa and his giant fuel pipe (god that sounds almost wrong, doesn't it?) didn't injure anyone else when he was driving down the pit lane... i mean it would have been so easy to hurt someone else in another pit with that thing hanging from his car.

proud singaporean here. i think it was a good race, as there's lots of drama and unexpected things happening. congrats to alonso! he did a great job! his car wasn't very fast and he had a terrible time yesterday, but yet he battled through the odds and won!

massa and his giant fuel pipe

:lol::lol:

First of all, :lol::lol::lol::lol:mad:Max and the FIA. Lewis gets his 7 point lead back, which should technically be a 13 point lead, but whatever.

I'm mystified as to why Massa got a drive through today, but only a fine at Valencia. Absolutely mystified.

Congrats to Alonso, he was quick as hell, and, regardless of the SC luck, he had the pace to hold and control his position. I don't like him, but he did deserve this win :).

Congrats to Joc.... I mean Nico, he had the pace when he needed it and it was because of that, he was able to consolidate second position. His best ever result, another podium for Williams! Good stuff :)

Lewis wasn't as fast as either of the Ferraris, but he ran an incident free race, and did a good job in terms of damage limitation! :D

Heikki was just... :(

And, in the words of a certain Juan Pablo Montoya: "FOCKING RAIKKONNEN..."

hahaha

http://img152.imageshack.**/img152/6272/1222613514638dh5.jpg

anyway, superb race all
alonso ran great and deserves his win

re: Coulthard, thanks for making the gap between hamilton and alonso that much bigger!
u doofus

Drivers' Points Leader!: Hamilton!!!!!
Constructor's Points Leader!: McMERC!!!

Last edited:
I'm mystified as to why Massa got a drive through today, but only a fine at Valencia. Absolutely mystified.

Because at Valencia it would have affected his position and points, but as he was out of the race already it made no difference.

I think the FIA are making it a bit too obvious that they are in Ferrari's back pocket lol! Oh well, at least there is some justice in Ferrari scoring fuk all today :)

Interesting to see that on Formula1.com, all of the drivers have given their thoughts and feelings about the race except them Ferrari people...

Let's analyze this "damned" race...

Renault

Superb drive by Alonso. A lot of luck because of the SC and his pitstop timing, but it was a deserved win nonetheless. In clear air, he was able to lap constantly in the low 1:46s and dipping, at times, in the 1:45s and getting within 4 tenths of the absolute fastest lap of the race. And also, the way he controlled the second restart and pulled out 6 seconds in two laps was fantastic. Nelsinho, however... I don't think he has that much of a future in F1. After his mid-season rise in form, he has dipped back to his erratic driving.

Williams

Equally superb drive by Rosberg to get his car up to second place after that penalty. He did have a bit of luck with the pitstop, in the sense that he ended up at the top of the queue once everybody had stopped and he was able to put in some fast laps and get away before he had to stop. Nakajima showed that when he keeps it on the island, he's capable of good results, and he pulled off two great moves on Trulli.

McLaren

Hamilton's race was good up to the SC, afterwards he got stuck behind DC and couldn't do absolutely anything about it. He must be thankful now that at least he got third place with both the Ferraris failing to score. As for Heikki, he was lacklustre all race. What is going on with him?

Toyota

Quiet drive and quiet result by a German, but Glock's points didn't stop the loss of 4th place in the WCC. Trulli created his by-now infamous train by lapping a whole 5 SECONDS slower than the leaders in the early part of the race; it was as if he had a ton of lead thrown into his car at the start. However, it was cruel luck that he was robbed of some points by a hydraulic failure.

Toro Rosso

Quiet drive and quiet result by a German, Vettel driving around and picking up some more deserved points, but not as impressive as his Monza heroics. Bourdais seemed very frustrated, and since his former Champ Car team boss, Paul Newman, had just died, he would have obviously wanted to do well, so 12th place isn't going to satisfy him one bit; plus he must know that his seat is in danger.

BMW

Quiet drive and quiet result by a German(spot the trend?). Heidfeld back to his normal form (which means collecting the minor points after not-too-remarkable drives). Kubica got very unlucky with the timing of the SC and with the pitstop, which dropped him to the tail of the field. He did stop at the red light.

Red Bull

Webbo must be getting frustrated again, because the Singapore track shook the unreliability back into his car. DC had quite an eventful race, ending it up quite short of brakes after holding Hamilton up for 30 laps and allowing Alonso and Rosberg to pull out the decisive gap to the McLaren.

Honda

Another Honda-ish weekend for Honda... Rubens left the pits thinking he had enough fuel, but the replay showed some kind of confusion with the fuel rigs, which might mean that he ran out of fuel. Jenson drove a quiet race, and ended up just outside of the points, which is representative of the team's luck.

Force India

As usual, lonely races mostly at the back of the field, although not stopping behind the SC did help Fisi up to 2nd at one point. Didn't see much of Sutil barring his crash which brought out the second SC, but I thought that it might ruin the race for Alonso and Rosberg.

Ferrari

Three letters describe everything that they did today:

W(hat)
T(he)
F(uck)?

They seemed to be on a path to self-destruction all evening.

From me to Ferrari, a combination of :lol::lol::lol: and facepalm.

Last edited:
taken from turn 16

IMG_0367.jpg

IMG_0349.jpg

McMerc ftw!

Congrats to Alonso, i don't really like him but i must say he well deserved this win, he was fast all along the weekend.

And about ferrari...what is there to be said? that light-lollypop-trafficlight clearly doesn't work, back to the lollipopman i say. And Kimi...*sigh*..you can't afford to make this kind of mistakes to often as world champion. I like the fact that he pushes in the last few laps, but know your boundaries. you f'ed up 2 in 3 races, and the result in italy was appauling too of course. Get your act together <_<

According to the rules, he should have got a drive-through at Valencia. Perhaps the FIA decided not to go with a fine this time around because of the insinuations of Ferrari-favoritism. ;)
Not that his penalty made any difference, like Shadowness said. It felt like adding insult to injury tbh.

Pity other tracks such as Sepang and Australia are about to jump on the night-race-Bernie-bandwagon because this clearly showed its difference. For all the things i crack up about Singapore and my time here, with the tag "Uniquely Singapore" being just one, in this case i am sad it won't be unique for very long.
With Malaysia, they may very well have a point; the tropically hot and humid weather is anything but helpful for the drivers in their million layers of fire-proof overalls.

With the rest, though: those races in Australia and Japan - and these days, China as well - which those of us in GMT+0/1 time zones have to get up ridiculously early for - those are what separate the hardcore fans from the casuals. I want to see those 4 am starts stay on the calendar!

Regarding Massa's incident with the fuel hose: I always thought there was a rule whereby a driver receiving work on the car outside the official pit would be black flagged. Or have the political machinations of the FIA quietly dumped that rule since Nigel Mansell fell foul of it at Estoril in 1991?

Vettel in Monza. Alonso in Singapore. Who will win at Fuji? :)
Nico Rosberg. Williams are due for a win. Then it'll be Jenson Button in China and Jarno Trulli in Brazil.

Alonso after the race, when asked why he didn't celebrate too much on the podium: "I was too weak to do so. The drink bottle didn't work and it was a tough race so I was exhausted when I got out of the car. On the podium I didn't feel very well, actually I couldn't even see the other people on the podium. I saw coloured spots but I didn't see faces. Sometimes you feel like this after a race, especially if it's as long and hot as this one."

Regarding Massa's incident with the fuel hose: I always thought there was a rule whereby a driver receiving work on the car outside the official pit would be black flagged. Or have the political machinations of the FIA quietly dumped that rule since Nigel Mansell fell foul of it at Estoril in 1991?

If I'm not mistaken, he stopped within the Pitlane, right after the McLaren garage. Or do you mean they can only perform work on the car in front of their garage?