Sigma Lens.....

We assume you have a DSLR with an 1.5x crop factor sensor (Nikon d80, d40, Canon EOS 450, etc), which is the number you have to multiply those numbers to get the actual focal length on a 35mm sensor or film camera. Comparing to those standards, 15 milimeter is UBER wide. Even 12mm (18 on 35mm) is very wide.

Be careful not to confuse actual focal length and effective focal length. Actual focal length is an optical property of the lens and has nothing to do with the film/sensor size. Effective focal length is based on FOV compared to 135 format.

ok so i think i understand most of it now, but i am in the market for a "wide" angle lens so i think it will be the sigma for me, as i havn't heard anything bad about it other than the build quality for the tokina is better. but i will be buying at the end of november o things may change

Alok shot this with the Tokina @ 12mm. If you can't tell from the proportions, I can tell you that this is VERY wide:

https://pic.armedcats.net/a/al/alok/2008/09/20/lokkydesigns-303.jpg

It doesn't seem very sharp.

It doesn't seem very sharp.
Says who? Looks pretty good to me. Any lack of sharpness could very well be due to the resampling of the image, which always removes sharpness.

I use the Sigma 10-20mm all the time. I posted a few photo shoots here in the forum. It's the one with the Porsche, M3, and Lexus GS-350. Every wide shot was done with this lens.
Are you using an APS-C body or full frame? Can you post some examples comparing 18mm to 10mm? Is it a lot wider?

Last edited:
The Sigma is a crop lens. It won't give you wider field of view on FF. On a Canon, it can break the mirror, on a Nikon, the camera will go into crop mode.

The Sigma is a crop lens. It won't give you wider field of view on FF. On a Canon, it can break the mirror, on a Nikon, the camera will go into crop mode.

That's actually not true. I've had a 10-20 on a 5D before, and a 1D2. It's actually quite good on an APS-H body, you can shoot 10mm with only a bit of vignetting.

The 10-20 isn't like an EF-S lens, but it is designed for crop bodies. It works on my 10D (which doesn't support EF-S even though it's an APS-C frame), which is why I bought it!

On the 5D it's pointless though, you just get a circle image and you'd have to crop in to at least 1.5x of the image.

My bad. Just figured it would be useless on anything other than a APS-C camera.

Interesting, you do get a lot of WA on a 1D.

That one seems much better than the photo of the 350Z.

Thanks to all you guys for the advice!!! i just picked up a Sigma 10-20mm Nikon lens this arvo, had a bit of a play with it and love it! paid $649 for it in Australian coin. was talking to the guy at the store and he gave me a warning that almost all camera gear is going up by 20~30% here in Australia, basically all new stock that lands will be set at a new much higher price due to the economy issues, i was VERY lucky to get the last one they had in store so i was able to get it at the old lower price :)

will be taking some shots of my car on wednesday to have a play with the lens, will post them up,